discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

ugh, clutch, again!

Post by fasterdammit »

At the beginning of the season this year, my clutch threw in the towel. I think it was the perfect storm of age, failed slave piston seal and finally the bearing in the piston. I wound up replacing the friction plates in the clutch along with a new piston, spring, seal & bearing. Got through the summer just fine, plenty of miles. Then in early October, I started losing pressure behind the lever. Long story short, the bearing ate itself. Maybe it was a crap bearing, but in retrospect, I remembered that just prior to things going downhill I had stalled the bike, still pretty cold, at a light & in gear, and just thumbed the starter quick with it still in first. I've no way of knowing, but it's nagged at me, wondering if that sudden jarring could been the start of the end for the bearing. Who knows.

Anyway - I have a feeling I'll be picking up another slave piston & bearing. What I replaced earlier this year finally threw the towel in mid-October. Took a long ride up into the Adirondacks, and had to stop two different times to bleed some fluid back into the clutch just to get home. Lots of clutchless upshifts & rev matching on the way down. :banghead:

To top it off, I had a hell of a time getting the system bled up as well. The master cylinder is relatively new, so I don't think that was an issue. Makes me wonder if something else isn't amiss. I wound up using the friction plates from a '97 SS clutch kit, since you can no longer order the clutch part numbers out of the Paso parts list through Ducati (so helpful).

Has anyone made/used a reverse-bleeder, I guess it'd be more of a fluid pump - push fluid in through the clutch cover and fill the line up to the master? Should all but eliminate air as you go, right?
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: ugh, clutch, again!

Post by Mc tool »

Somewhere in the rheems of info available here is a thread ( I think its in P750 FAQ's ) about fitting a SS slave piston that has been modified with a ball bearing and a brass centre ...... well worth it as the SS piston has a much better seal and once the bearing is fitted will suit the Paso brilliantly
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: ugh, clutch, again!

Post by higgy »

viewtopic.php?t=626
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie