clutch slave piston pin

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

a330us
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

clutch slave piston pin

Post by a330us »

I took my piston pin or mushroom or whatever to a small machine shop yesterday to have a couple of them made for spares and he noticed a tiny hole all the way through it. I thought they were just lathe marks but no so is there a purpose for this hole? Everything in this area should be dry so I could not figure this out and all my other ones are bolted up to bikes so could not check. Pin only has 6k on it so I know it's not a mod of some kind.
By the way, where is everybody? It's been very quiet on the forum, just not seeing any new posts. Thanks Arch.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: clutch slave piston pin

Post by paso750 »

Mine doesn`t have a hole through it but it doesn`t seem to be a bad idea. Either that or a tiny groove on the side. That would help fitting and removing the pin as you wouldn`t have to fight against trapped air when pushing it in or a vacuum when pulling it out.
The bearing is a sealed one so if over time dust entered the hole in the pin that would have no negative effect.
That it`s more silent than usual might be due to the time of the year.

G.
a330us
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Post by a330us »

Thanks G, that makes sense but mine was completely clogged and he had to push a piece of wire through it. Arch.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

I'll be replacing my clutch bearing (again) in the coming months, so I'll take a closer look at the mushroom pin. I had ordered a replacement pin (from Stein-Dinse) but it was much smaller than the stocker, so I kept the stock piece.

And yeah, regarding activity, my Paso's been hibernating since October, when I lost the clutch. I expect to go through it sometime in March, and hopefully be back on 2 wheels shortly thereafter. It's been a balmy -20-0ºC around here lately ...
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750