leaking gas tank

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

a330us
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

leaking gas tank

Post by a330us »

Hi All, picked up a gas tank on ebay last week and not bad for a pretty cheap price because it had the pet cock and fuel sending unit. I noticed that around the front mount that it had been sealed with a rubbery compound which I removed and poured a rust removal fluid in it because it had a few spots of surface rust in it and could get a drop or so of fluid around the front mount when I was sloshing it around. So I guess I've got the dreaded front mount leak although can't see any cracks anywhere. What's the best fix for this, find something to seal around it, welding or what? It's looks like it would have to be completely full to really have a problem with leaking. Thanks Arch.
randtcastell
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: leaking gas tank

Post by randtcastell »

My tank leaked at the weld as your does. Sloshing gasoline leaking from the tank was evident after a long ride by a residue left on the fairing panels which smelled of gasoline.For a repair, I was concerned that a gas tank internal coating would be difficult to do well due to the complexity of the tank shape and form, so I went with a weld repair. The tig weld repair was so precise the paint on top of the tank was not damaged.
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

I cut the front tube mount thing right off , welded on a 3mm thick plate and then refitted (welded ) the mount back on , after trimming 3mm off it. The weight of the fairing and most of the tank hangs off this mount.
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

+1 on welding a support plate under the front tube
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
a330us
year: 1993

Post by a330us »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, glad it was a cheap tank since it seems to be another endemic problem on our bikes. Arch.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Its not a biggie . I managed to shape, fit and weld the plate without damaging the paint anywhere you can see it , huh , I spose if we knew all the faults before hand ...................... nahfuckkit , Id still have bought it :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time