discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

rigelk
model: 750 Paso
year: 1989

Restauration Paso, state and cost evaluation

Post by rigelk »

Hello all,

I’m a new member from France, Nantes (if anyone wants to meet up there :wink: ). While I do not own a Paso yet, I am looking forward to having one, sooner or later. Indeed, I got a crush on a red Paso 750 I could see once in a while in a nearby private parking lot. Years later i first saw it, I decided to take a closer look at the old lady, and… I found that it has not only been abandonned for years, but that the Paso had been stolen (hence the broken neiman) !

While I could only call the police to report the theft, they told me the wreck could still be sold « as is » :

After a thorough read of the FAQ, I still wonder if it is possible to fix the wear & tear caused by such a long and unprepared storage (>6years, probably 10). :dunno: If it is, i would love to restore that Paso.

I am aware of the following subjects : Any hint on what has to be done, changed, or else is much appreciated. I am interested in mechanics, yet clueless about bikes.
As well, I could well buy another one in a better shape would the restauration costs be too high, so any hint on the overall cost is much appreciated as well.
I can take as many photos as you need to diagnose the Paso. (and of much better quality)

Thanks !

P.S: as always, i am new on this forum so feel free to tell me if anything is wrong/improvable with that subject.
Last edited by rigelk on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkST
year: 1987

Re: Restauration Paso, state and cost evaluation

Post by MarkST »

Hi rigelk and welcome tho the forum.

The first thing I would do is take the sparkplugs out and see if the motor turns over.
2004 ST4S
2001 ST4
1987 Paso 750
900streetfighter
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by 900streetfighter »

Hello and welcome
You will probably spend a lot more on it than it's worth. It looks a huge job.
Good luck if you take it on. Lots of knowledgable guys on here will help with advice and maybe parts.

Keith.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Yep , it will defiantly cost more than its worth in dollars ( or franc's or whatever you have to hand over for a feed of frogs ) but thats not the point . If you restore this bike you will have a cool, rare classic and while you may not get what it owes you if you sell it , it probly wont cost any more than any other classic in similar condition , so you could never say it wasn't worth doing . If you like it , do it . . If you really are clueless bout bikes then this is the opportunity your looking for :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
rigelk

Post by rigelk »

MarkST wrote:The first thing I would do is take the sparkplugs out and see if the motor turns over.
Hi MarkST, and thanks for your quick answer. I am going to check that next week-end.

However, I try to understand : why take the sparkplugs out ? It will surely avoid the ignition, but the engine will end up flooded, right ?

@Mc Tool & @900streetfighter : I expected that, though I need to get a grasp of the overall cost. (1000$ ? 2000$ ? more ? i know it’s hard to guess…)
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

turn over the engine by hand to see if the pistons have seized in the cylinders. If you don`t remove the spark plugs you won`t be able to turn the engine over easily. You lift the rear wheel put the engine in gear and rotate the wheel to see if the engine turns over freely.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Hi again,

there are a lot of questions to answer and then it will still be very hard to evaluate how much ressurecting that bike would cost.
First of all what would the bike itself cost and who would you legally buy it from if it was stolen and then parked there?
The engine covers look rough. Was it standing in a parking garage the past years or outside? Is there rust inside the tank?
Are there any signs of an accident or crash and are any parts missing?
The bike would look quite different after a good wash I`m sure.

The main list of things to check and/or replace is in the buyer`s guide in the FAQs.
What you`d need for sure is:
new tires
new chain (sprockets maybe)
new stanchion tubes (rusty)
complete lock set w/ keys and ignition switch (obviously)
new timing belts
fork dust/oil seals
many new bolts
new brake lines
new fuel lines
new fuel filter
new air filter
You can put a price on that.

Then there is all the work you`d have to do.
rebuild the Weber
clean out the tank
go through the whole electrics
have valve clearance checked
rebuild the clutch cover/piston
clean/repaint the engine
rebuild the fork
replace drive shaft/camshaft etc oil seals or at least check and keep an eye on them

Then there are all the unexpected expenses.

Interested but clueless is probably not the ideal start off point but it can be done and if you need some help or manuals you`re at the right place.

A restoration can easily become more expensive than buying a rideable Paso but I see two advantages. You learn a lot about the work and your bike and you`ll have a machine which condition you`ll know throughout. Also you don`t have to spend all the money all at once as when buying a working bike but can spread your expenses over a time if necessary.
It all has its pros and cons.

I`m always happy to see an older vehicle being put back on the road.
So if you think you can do it. Go on.

G.
rigelk

Post by rigelk »

Makes sense now. As said I will try this next week-end.
paso750 wrote:First of all what would the bike itself cost and who would you legally buy it from if it was stolen and then parked there?
Well I still have to wait for the judiciary expert. The thing is, either the vehicle has been involved in something and nobody will ride it again, or it is sold in an auction. Indeed after the former owner is paid by the insurance company, it belongs to the latter. Then it’s just sold for a symbolic price.
paso750 wrote: The engine covers look rough. Was it standing in a parking garage the past years or outside?
Is there rust inside the tank?
Are there any signs of an accident or crash and are any parts missing?
It shows no sign of crash. The bike was stored in a parking garage, but the ambient moisture may still have had its effects… I can’t find why the engine cover (rear brake side) looks so rough, though.

Everything seems in place, but that lock (which I don’t know the purpose) seems broken to me.
paso750 wrote: So if you think you can do it. Go on.
I’m afraid that might depend on the police/insurance more than me…

As for the part list, it easily reaches 1500€ with my calculations. That’s a lot, but rideable Pasos seem to be sold at an average of 2500€ so that might still be an advantage (to be considered along your +/- list). Again, that is subject to a good state of the engine and no surprises… (who said that was probable ? :-P )
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

but that lock (which I don’t know the purpose)
read what it says above it :truck:

Have a look at:
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5203
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

If you get it, start with the minimum.
Change the oil, and the belts.
Remove the tank and make a temporary gas tank.
Get an ignition switch (several models will fit) (ebay)
Borrow a battery, and see if it starts.
For $100 and a weekend, you should be able to assess the situation.

If the motor starts, and sounds OK, then it may be worth continuing on.
If the motor is no good, sell it for parts, or get another Paso that needs the parts that are good on this one.

As pointed out, every system on the bike needs to be gone through. You won't be riding it for a year if you work like many of us. But it could be a great story of resurrection, and you will learn a lot. There are several complete rebuilds on these pages, and this bike doesn't look all the worse for the years of sleeping. Hard to put a price on the pride of rebuilding a motorcycle that you ride. Certainly a worthwhile bike to revive, but no small project. How deep is your passion?

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Post by bmw851 »

rigelk wrote:It shows no sign of crash. The bike was stored in a parking garage, but the ambient moisture may still have had its effects… I can’t find why the engine cover (rear brake side) looks so rough, though.
Hi rigelk

That's just a case of alloy corrosion on the clutch cover, it will clean up if it hasn't eaten in to the metal to far.
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

You won't be riding it for a year if you work like many of us
you mean slow? :lol:

There`s quite a bit to do before even attempting to start the engine. You most definitely should check the condition of the belts first.

Do also check if there`s oil on the bottom of the shock, if it bottoms through and if there`s rust on the damper rod. If the shock needs to be replaced that`s another few hundred.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

paso750 wrote:
You won't be riding it for a year if you work like many of us
you mean slow? :lol: .

Well, most of us have rather full lives, and getting to the garage to work on the 3rd, or 4th bike just doesn't happen as often, or as soon as most of us hope. I did get rid of an ST2 this weekend, so I have more room, and time to work on the 907. and 750 Sport Scrambler, and the other 750 Sport, and the suspension on the ST4s needs to be rebuilt now as both ends are leaking now. It never ends.
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
angelix
model: 907 I.E.

Post by angelix »

That does not look bad at at all.... you would be surprised of how well they keep! remove the bodywork then pressure wash it well and most of the "nasty" will go away.

there is some rust here and there but nothing major and provided the engine is OK , I cannot see why it could not get restored with little money.

Years ago I bought a wreck that was 20 times worse than that.

Mine was left outside for many years, the tank was half full of water (the other half was mud!) and the bodywork was completely ruined because of crashes and bad repairs; then few monthe before I bought it it was half disassembled to check if it was repairable and several nodywork part got even more damaged.

I bought it for spares but after pressure washing it i discovered the bike was sound, just needed a new chain , lots of TLC , few nuts and bolts and a bodywork respray.

For me the most expensive part were the tires (at the time no Goldentyres available) and the EU spec tail light (it came with american spec rear lights) but in the end I had a beautiful example with very little money.
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

Quite an hard job
In the list of expenses they missed brake pumps and restoring calipers?
Anyhow I think that fairings are the hardest parts to find in good conditions: Rust can be removed and parts can be painted but wrecked plastic fairing are a real matter!
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(