Restauration Paso, state and cost evaluation

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

pasoforme
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Re: Restauration Paso, state and cost evaluation

Post by pasoforme »

I believe you can still but a complete body for a Paso at Airtech, granted it's plastic rather than the original fiberglass but-----.
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducapaso »

I have an airtech kit and it's fiberglass. It has no mirrors and mudguard
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
riascns
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Post by riascns »

I bought two paso non-runners in the past (750 and 907) as well as several other bikes. Made them all run with a lot of effort and very little expense (compared to buying a an equivalent bike already running).

My process is as follows.

Stage 1 - The engine. The secret is not to wreck it by trying to start it.

Remove plugs and put some lite oil down the plug holes. Then rotate the engine using a socket on the crank. Do this several times over the course of a couple of weeks.

Stage 2 - Clean the bike thoroughly. You need to do this to first make it clean, but secondly you will get to see everything up close and get a better appreciation of condition.

Stage 3 - Change the belts oil and filter. Remove the air filter. Fill the engine with some cheap oil. you will change this oil again after you have finished the commissioning bit. You will need to run the engine a few times over a number of days to understand if it runs OK. first time you start it, it will not run well.

Stage 4 - Remove and clean and lubricate all electrical connections.

Stage 5 - Do the valves

Stage 6 - If the brake hoses are rubber, change them for braided steel

Stage 7 - Change all fluids, clean and lubricate the chain (Surface rust can look bad, but once cleaned and lubricated the chain may be ok. Only replace them if worn). Lubricate the suspension bearings (replace if rusted/worn). Replace fork seals. Replace tyres.

Stage 7 - Refinish the bodywork

Stage 8 - enjoy the ride

Most parts can be brought back to life by cleaning, lubricating, painting and adjusting them properly.

If there were no major issues with the bike when it was parked, then maybe 500 euros and a lot of work to get it running.

If the engine runs, the bike can be fixed economically.

The two Pasos I own needed a full service and a set of tyres (and fuel pump for 907). I would say they are a well built high quality bike and are easy and cheap, but time consuming, to make them run.

Good luck

Sean
907IE
Paso 750
CB 900FD
KX 500
KTM 500 with Zabel 700 Engine
zx10
Mobylette Cady
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

riascns wrote:I bought two paso non-runners in the past (750 and 907) as well as several other bikes. Made them all run with a lot of effort and very little expense (compared to buying a an equivalent bike already running).

My process is as follows.

Stage 1 - The engine. The secret is not to wreck it by trying to start it.

Remove plugs and put some lite oil down the plug holes. Then rotate the engine using a socket on the crank. Do this several times over the course of a couple of weeks.

Stage 2 - Clean the bike thoroughly. You need to do this to first make it clean, but secondly you will get to see everything up close and get a better appreciation of condition.

Stage 3 - Change the belts oil and filter. Remove the air filter. Fill the engine with some cheap oil. you will change this oil again after you have finished the commissioning bit. You will need to run the engine a few times over a number of days to understand if it runs OK. first time you start it, it will not run well.

Stage 4 - Remove and clean and lubricate all electrical connections.

Stage 5 - Do the valves

Stage 6 - If the brake hoses are rubber, change them for braided steel

Stage 7 - Change all fluids, clean and lubricate the chain (Surface rust can look bad, but once cleaned and lubricated the chain may be ok. Only replace them if worn). Lubricate the suspension bearings (replace if rusted/worn). Replace fork seals. Replace tyres.

Stage 7 - Refinish the bodywork

Stage 8 - enjoy the ride

Most parts can be brought back to life by cleaning, lubricating, painting and adjusting them properly.

If there were no major issues with the bike when it was parked, then maybe 500 euros and a lot of work to get it running.

If the engine runs, the bike can be fixed economically.

The two Pasos I own needed a full service and a set of tyres (and fuel pump for 907). I would say they are a well built high quality bike and are easy and cheap, but time consuming, to make them run.

Good luck

Sean
Great advice!
yannick bebel
year: 1987

Post by yannick bebel »

salut ,

Nouveau membre je possede un 750 paso 1987 . si tu as besoin contacte moi!

Appel de phare
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Ne pas parle le Francaise, ami ..