discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Commodore
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

U-BOLT / LINK

Post by Commodore »

Hello, first post for me.

Good cleaning can be life saving. My chain-side 'link or 'u-bolt', on a recently purchased '88 Paso. Seems that the chain dropped, and was sucked between the rear sprocket and the swingarm leg. There was a decent (1mm thick) circular shaving of metal from the inside of the swingarm leg to the front of the axle. This alerted me to look closely at everything.

Is this a common problem? Solutions? I have a machinist that will remake the links out of billet. Or are used ones available?

Thanks much, especially for the education I am receiving!
Attachments
LinkSmall.jpg
LinkSmall.jpg (183.69 KiB) Viewed 13008 times
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: U-BOLT / LINK

Post by Skins »

:cool:

First I've heard of it. I'm sure you can pick up another from some one on here, or off the internet without too much trouble.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

Looks to be a classic fracture caused by over torquing the pinch bolt. Triple clamps and fork legs will show the same pattern from over tightening pinch bolts. Honda had a problem with it in the late 70's from my memory working in the motorcycle junkyard in the late 80's

The cracked swing arms on the SuperSport series was mostly overtorqued bolts. Too many to count.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Thanks much.

After a little more investigation, and a note from Ed Milich, I think what happened is the sprocket bolts loosened/broke, causing chain suck. There are deep thread marks in the holes that accept the bolts that attach the sprocket to the cush drive. Something else to replace!
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Noooooooo , a sprocket bolt come loose ??.....................yeah , they do it all the time :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time