discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Hunter
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Woo-Hoo!! Finally got a Paso!

Post by Hunter »

Hi all,

Delivered to me last Monday, it's not perfect but it's mine! :D I used to service Ducati Guzzi Cagiva and BMW when these were new and I never owned one.
This one has seen some hard times but I love the work as much as the riding so it's all good to me. The previous owner sent along a ton of stuff like new Shinkos, chain and sprockets and a couple of boxes of other stuff. I worked this week on getting most of it sorted and took it for a short spin today. WOW what a fun bike!
Now I just need to get it charging, sort the voltage drop to the headlight, rebuild the brakes and find some crossed wires making the headlight and and panel lights act weird.
BTW, anyone have some mufflers? These Yoshis are too loud!
Hunter

Just smile and nod..........
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Re: Woo-Hoo!! Finally got a Paso!

Post by paso750 »

congratulations, the bike looks nice. I`m always wondering though when I see a red Paso with red/silver instead of the black/silver rims. Why would somebody change them?!
You could try to repack the silencers and install db kiler inserts. That`s for sure cheaper than replacing the silencers with others.
If the electrics act weird check and clean all ground connections first.

G.
randtcastell

Post by randtcastell »

:D Congratulations! Can you tell us what you paid for that beauty? Cheers!
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

I will indeed share the price. 1400 USD.
Before you go into a tailspin on how the 750 gets no respect the photo looks WAY BETTER than in person. It does not have an undamaged fairing panel to it's name. And the left side has earned some road burn.

But it runs like a devil-dog and makes me grin like an idiot so who cares?

I am currently in the process of making the mirrors usable so as to pass safety inspection and soon I will go through the front end and valves/belts since I have no record of service.

I had wondered about the wheels but after 28 years and who knows how many owners it could be so many reasons.

And thanks for running the board. It makes having this lovely Italian bike that much better!

Hunter
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Waddaya mean to loud ( how old are you ? :D ) as G says you could try repacking the boom boxes , the tighter you pack the stuff in the louder it will be , pack it loose and its quieter but it will blow the stuffing out quicker .... happy medium thing :) . Bike looks good and once you have sorted the Paso issues ..... many happy miles ahead :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Mc tool wrote:Waddaya mean to loud ( how old are you ? :D )
Old enough to know better and young enough to do it anyway!
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducapaso »

Welcome on board!
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
Brutus
year: 1989

Post by Brutus »

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Post by Hunter »

Here's an update on my Paso.
Since it was fairly priced it did need a lot of love. I have decided to chase the gremlins and ride it rather than just strip it down and build it back. It's been fun for the most part although I do get weary of removing and replacing the fairing!
The wiring has been the main issue as many connections were nasty. The voltage to the headlight was 3.7V below the battery voltage without the headlight connected! Some diligence on the connectors helped on reliability but the real fix was installing a relay to take the load off the ign switch and relays to the headlight to eliminate all those connections to the LH bar switch. The difference is night and day, literally! I can see at night now!
I had been through the swingarm and those bits already along with tires and even a fairly nice LH fairing panel from ebay since mine was busted pretty badly. The mufflers were all but open so I added some DB killers, way better now. As they say the devil is in the details but the results so far have been a better and better running Duc. Next up are the carb, belts and valves. It's got some flat spots and holes and someone has cut the back of the airbox lid out. Argh! I'm sure it'll work out. My only complaint is that the carb is such a PITA to get to.
Thanks for the support from the members here!

Hunter
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

That sounds really good :thumbup:
You will probably measure the same voltage loss at the coils and CDI units.
The worst is getting the headlight fairing off w/o scratching or cracking anything or tearing the foam surround of the instrument panel. After years I still haven`t figured out if there`s a trick. The 906/907ie front fairings are better designed.
Frank.61
year: 1989

Post by Frank.61 »

Gerhard, the dashboard surround of the 906/907, is that interchangeable with the 750?
Mine is far from pristine and I was already thinking how to replace it.
Have seen the 906/907 but was wondering if the curve etc. from the 750 fairing is the same ....
Or I have to make a pattern of the old and find some new material (clue?) and cut myself a fresh foam surround.

Some advise?

Frank
Bimota SB4-S - 1984
Ducati Paso 750 - 1989
Suzuki SV1000S - 2008
Ducati Monster 796 abs - 2010
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

the foam surround of the P750 is a simple flat part glued on the instrument panel while the ones of the 906 & 907ie are moulded foam parts that are bolted to the headlight frame (I think). The one of the 907ie has the center cut-out for the NACA duct. Maybe the one of the 906 can be retrofitted, I don`t know.
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Hunter wrote:Here's an update on my Paso.
Since it was fairly priced it did need a lot of love. I have decided to chase the gremlins and ride it rather than just strip it down and build it back. It's been fun for the most part although I do get weary of removing and replacing the fairing!
The wiring has been the main issue as many connections were nasty. The voltage to the headlight was 3.7V below the battery voltage without the headlight connected! Some diligence on the connectors helped on reliability but the real fix was installing a relay to take the load off the ign switch and relays to the headlight to eliminate all those connections to the LH bar switch. The difference is night and day, literally! I can see at night now!
I had been through the swingarm and those bits already along with tires and even a fairly nice LH fairing panel from ebay since mine was busted pretty badly. The mufflers were all but open so I added some DB killers, way better now. As they say the devil is in the details but the results so far have been a better and better running Duc. Next up are the carb, belts and valves. It's got some flat spots and holes and someone has cut the back of the airbox lid out. Argh! I'm sure it'll work out. My only complaint is that the carb is such a PITA to get to.
Thanks for the support from the members here!

Hunter
Oh yeah, the drop was pretty bad until I put the relay on the main, now it is negligible. A couple of tenths under load. I can live with that! Chasing down and cleaning all the grounds and correcting the bodges by various POs helped as well.
HUnter