Valve Adjustment

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

jfiore
year: 0

Valve Adjustment

Post by jfiore »

Is there anyone out there who adjusts their own valves? I am looking for advice on what tools are required.

I found a rocker arm extractor tool for pulling out the rocker arm support shaft, but it seems like a press of some sort would be required to push the rocker arm shaft back into position. I am hesitant to use a hammer to seat the shaft.

Does any one have any advice?
lceriani
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by lceriani »

jfiore
year: 0

Valve Adjustment - ducatitech.com

Post by jfiore »

Thank you for the reply, but the ducatitech article is for a newer 2 valve motor, which has a rocker arm that can be moved for access to the valve shims, and is retained by a clip. The Paso motor has a rocker arm that requires the rocker-arm shaft to be removed to gain access to the valve shims.

All of the technical articles that I could find are for the newer motor. Maybe I can exchange the cylinder heads for those from a newer motor!
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Valve Adjustment - ducatitech.com

Post by mike »

jfiore wrote:Thank you for the reply, but the ducatitech article is for a newer 2 valve motor, which has a rocker arm that can be moved for access to the valve shims, and is retained by a clip. The Paso motor has a rocker arm that requires the rocker-arm shaft to be removed to gain access to the valve shims.

All of the technical articles that I could find are for the newer motor. Maybe I can exchange the cylinder heads for those from a newer motor!
The later Pasos have the clip. Mine (#751090) you have to remove the shaft.
lceriani

Re: Valve Adjustment - ducatitech.com

Post by lceriani »

jfiore wrote:Thank you for the reply, but the ducatitech article is for a newer 2 valve motor
Ops, sorry!
In fact on my Paso I mounted a M900 motor and I couldn't notice the difference with the old engine model...

LC
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Have you solved your problem yet, jfiore?

You shouldn't need any special tools. I don't have the rocker clip in my bike either, and I did the valves just after I got my bike. I used a screw to pull the shaft out, and it went back in quite easily.

It's important to do the job with the motor dead cold - like after sitting overnight - any warmth in the motor will give you false readings for the clearances.