discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Clutch: perhaps I'm doing something wrong

Post by fasterdammit »

I have my clutch apart yet again. 3rd year in a row. 1st time: bearing in slave cylinder disintegrated. Replaced everything: clutch pack, slave piston, bearing, spring. 2nd time: new bearing blew up. 3rd time: clutch started getting grabby, wouldn't take a load. Opened it up and it's all dirty, like messier after 1 season than it was after 25 seasons.

Started taking it apart thinking it's an oil seal. Entire clutch is out (basket too) and I realize the mushroom pin looks distorted, and doesn't really turn - so the bearing is seizing. Also notice the inside of each of the friction discs in the pack is kind of chewed up, and there are marks on the clutch gear. So now I wonder if the slave piston is getting misaligned or something? Is that possible?

I really don't know what to do at this point. Should I dig further and check the oil seals since I'm almost there? I'm going to order my 3rd slave piston & bearing in as many years, but I really don't want this to become part of my yearly maintenance ritual.

Help?
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Clutch: perhaps I'm doing something wrong

Post by Mc tool »

Seals are cheap and easy to do and are about the only place oil can leak into the clutch . Are you fitting the modified 900ss slave piston and skateboard bearing ?
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Re: Clutch: perhaps I'm doing something wrong

Post by fasterdammit »

Mc tool wrote:Seals are cheap and easy to do and are about the only place oil can leak into the clutch . Are you fitting the modified 900ss slave piston and skateboard bearing ?
Ok, then I'll dig in further to get to the seals, just in case. At this point, I've already got the basket out, so I'm closer to the seals than I am putting it all back together.

As for the slave, the plan is to use the 900ss piston - p/n 195.2.002.1B which I believe changes up to 19590023B now. However ... this will be #3. I'm starting to wonder if I should try a different one? Gerhard has given me some other things to look into as well, but I'm most likely going to order this again. Did you have an alternative suggestion?

I am wondering if it wasn't the slave, since the bearing appears to be starting to seize and the mushroom pin (the original one) appears to be misshapen now. They don't necessarily need aligning or anything, right? (I don't know how you would align them?)
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750