It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: everyone who used Photobucket in the past - please read this
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:37 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1987
As you may have noticed (or maybe not) Photobucket made a major change a few days ago.
They don't permit 3rd party links anymore which means you cannot upload pictures there and link them in any forum.
The only way that this still works is to pay them $399/year for a premium membership. :mad:

Pictures that you have uploaded to your Photobucket account will not be deleted but the consequence of this change is that links you have posted in this forum won't work anymore.
Hundreds of pictures will be lost. As they are a big part of this forum this is really a deep hit.

Now I would like to ask you for your help.
It would be great if you could update your links specially if your pictures are a part of topics you consider important or helpful for others.

Pictures you had uploaded to Photobucket and posted here may still be visibile. This is probably because they are still in the cache of some servers. But it`s only a matter of time until they will be gone and only this will be shown

What can you do?

If you don`t have all pictures log-in to your Photobucket account. On the right you`ll find a link named "download album". This will create a .zip file. Follow the instructions to download the file or to receive an email with the download link. Note that if you have several folders you will have to download each one seperately also if there are sub-folders.

After that you have a few options:
- Delete the links in your topics and attach the pictures directly to your post. This only makes sense if it doesn`matter if the picture is at the end of your text.
- Upload your pictures to another file (picture) hoster (maybe http://imgur.com/ - I have not tried them!) and change your old links or
- if you have your own webspace, upload the pictures there. If you do that and keep the folder structure you had on your Photobucket account you only need to edit your links and change the domain in them.

This is an example of what I did:

It is possible you have your own webspace but don't know about it because you never cared. Often if you subscribe to an internet provider you have the option to create your own website and also have several email addresses. For storage you're usually offered a certain amount of webspace for free. Often all this is ignored as it's not needed if you're only interested to surf the web. You may want to log-in to your internet (provider) account and check if you have these options.

How do you find your posts which included a link to a picture on Photobucket?

Just click on the forums search function enter "Photobucket" as search term and your nickname below. Then click "Search"

How do you identify the pictures you had posted if they are not shown anymore?

right-click on the Photobucket pic (place holder) and select "properties". You will see the original link and at its end the file's name.
If your pictures are still visible you can download the website you're looking at by selecting "file" on top left of your browser and then "save as". Maybe this'll help later on if you need to see which picture you`ve posted where in your posts. If you have a topic with pictures on numerous pages you'll have to save every page separately.

I've already fixed all of my pictures and all that are in threads that are part of the FAQs.
Unfortunately a few pictures in the 907ie FAQs are already gone and can only be fixed by who posted them.

If there are questions let me know. I'm sure there are ;)

G.

Post subject: Re: everyone who used Photobucket in the past - please read
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:54 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

year: 1988
You're always so thorough, G. Thanks for that!

I haven't used imgur, but it certainly is popular with the reddit crowd. They even have a cellphone app for posting/viewing pictures

1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:27 pm 

year: 1989
Gerhard,

Currently our max. Resolution is 1024/786 if I'm correct.
Is there not a possibility to get a little higher resolution for putting our pictures directly on the forum?
Would make it a lot easier to avoid sites like Photobucket.

Regards,

Frank

Ducati Monster 796 abs - 2010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:10 am 

year: 1989
It's too pity after all these years a supposed steady site to insert our photos ...........! :oops:

paso 750
pantah 600 SL