Paso wheel restoration

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Ronald
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Paso wheel restoration

Post by Ronald »

My Paso’s wheels were suffering the typical problems which I’ve seen often on our beloved bikes: oxidation and blistering clear lacquer.
The metallic black paint on the hub and spokes seems to be more durable, at least in my case. Another thing that irritated me was a flaw
dent in my front rim.

As I was completely overhauling my brake system I decided to also restore my wheels. After having read this article http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... 3&start=75 I got inspired. More importantly, I got confident enough to strip only
the clear lacquer from the rim while leaving the black paint unaffected. One major difference with Andrew’s wheel restoration however is that
I decided to also redo the clear lacquer to have it more resistant against the notoriously wet Belgian climate.

Step 1: Preparations
- I had the bearings replaced and the dented rim ‘straightened’

Step 2: Paint stripping & sanding
- Strip the clear lacquer on the spots where there’s no black paint (or red in case of 750 Sport rims). If you use a small brush and apply the stripper
carefully, you can get a very sharp line between the black area and the transparent one
- Carefully remove the blistered lacquer by rubbing with a smooth metal sponge and some water
- Sand the edge between stripped and non-stripped area with waterproof sandpaper (first 400, then 800) to make sure there is no height difference
because of the removed lacquer
- Take a Scotch-Brite hand pad (a smooth one, I took the wine colored one) wet it with water and sand the black hub and spokes. It will get a bit
dull, but don’t worry. After respraying this area with clear lacquer the black paint will regain its depth and also the metallic particles will be clearly
visible again.
- Sand the stripped area with waterproof sandpaper and some water (starting with grade 400 ending with 1200). If no too deep, damages can be
sanded out. Polish the stripped area until you have a nice, smooth and even finish. I got a very good result by doing the last polishing round with
the Scotch-Brite and some water.
However, don’t make the surface too shiny as you also want the new clear lacquer to adhere properly. Further, don’t use any polishing compounds
as they’re hard to remove and have a devastating effect on paint adhesion!
- Rinse the wheel with water. The last rinse if possible with deionized water. If you don’t have deionized water, then wipe dry the wheel with a clean
cloth. Leaving the wheel dry without wiping will leave residues from your tap water on the surface, which is not a real adhesion promotor.

Step 3: Paint preparation
- Cover the parts that you don’t want to paint. I choose not to paint the sides of the hub (where the bearings are situated)
- Degrease the complete surface that you want to paint with a good paint degreaser
- Position the rim so that you can easily spray paint it. I put it on a shoe box. As I did not paint the inside of the rim (where the tyre is mounted) I
could easily turn the wheel around and paint the other side.

Step 4: Spray paint
- 2K clear lacquer in a spray can: Spraymax 2K Klarlack http://www.spraymax.com
This product was quite a revelation to me. A two component product in a spray can, so easy to apply and not expensive (around EUR 20,- for a 400
ml spray can, which if you take care is enough for both wheels). Further, after curing the layer gets very hard, which is perfect for rims of course.
- Prepare the spray can by adding the hardener to the paint (see instructions on the spray can). You must use the lacquer within a restricted time as
the curing process will start immediately (If I remember well, within 48 hours)
- Spray a few thin layers after each other, leaving each dry for 10 or 20 minutes in between. Be careful, don’t apply too much paint as what comes
out of the spray can is quite thick! Further, this product really stinks, so use a proper respirator.
- If you let the lacquer cure for a few days, fitting new tyres is no problem.

Result: see pictures below! :lol:
Attachments
klein - DSCN2332.jpg
klein - DSCN2332.jpg (114.6 KiB) Viewed 10623 times
klein - DSCN1743.jpg
klein - DSCN1743.jpg (127.41 KiB) Viewed 10623 times
klein - DSCN1742.jpg
klein - DSCN1742.jpg (197.31 KiB) Viewed 10623 times
Ronald

Re: Paso wheel restoration

Post by Ronald »

Some more pictures
Attachments
klein - DSCN2373.jpg
klein - DSCN2373.jpg (107.35 KiB) Viewed 10622 times
klein - DSCN2364.jpg
klein - DSCN2364.jpg (143.6 KiB) Viewed 10622 times
Paint stripping in progress
Paint stripping in progress
klein - DSCN2363.jpg (152.47 KiB) Viewed 10622 times
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

And some more pics of the painting process
Attachments
klein - DSCN2369.jpg
klein - DSCN2369.jpg (119.64 KiB) Viewed 10622 times
klein - DSCN2366.jpg
klein - DSCN2366.jpg (127.41 KiB) Viewed 10622 times
klein - DSCN2365.jpg
klein - DSCN2365.jpg (157.56 KiB) Viewed 10622 times
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Final result
Attachments
klein - DSCN2667.jpg
klein - DSCN2667.jpg (170.54 KiB) Viewed 10622 times
klein - DSCN2392.jpg
klein - DSCN2392.jpg (161.99 KiB) Viewed 10622 times
klein - DSCN2390.jpg
klein - DSCN2390.jpg (204.79 KiB) Viewed 10622 times
Mirinn
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by Mirinn »

Beautiful work
randtcastell
year: 1987

Post by randtcastell »

It seems like you've done an excellent job. the results are lovely. Keep up the good work. Thank you so much for documenting your process and sharing it with us. We are all the wiser and better for it. I've used SprayMax on projects before and really been impressed with the finish and durability. Happy New Year! :-)
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

Your rims came up great. Nice work Ronald.

Cheers
Andrew
JWilliam
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by JWilliam »

He is right about wet weather affecting the wheels. Recently I had a set of new tyres fitted and the shop (run by a friend) told me that minor corrosion on the bead seat had meant the tyre wasn't fully sealed. Happily only a rub-down of the seat was needed, I would have been happier to wait and repaint the wheel but I didn't want to mess him around. I never ride mine in the wet, this was probably due to washing the bike and the degraded old paint.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

WOW. Those look amazing. Thanks so much for the write up & pictures ... it's inspiring, that's for sure. The results of the restoration are fantastic!

I need to have a bead dent corrected on my rear tire as well - it's not bad enough to cause it to lose air, but I can't imagine it's good either. Did you do that yourself, or have a shop straighten it out?
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Hi,

Thanks for the compliments.
To answer your question, I had the rim straightened by a specialized shop as they have the right experience and tools for it. They told me they first heat up the rim to take out tensions and then bend it back into its original form again with a special tool. The price of this service was around EUR 70,-

Best regards,

Ronald