Wiring diagram colours ?? uk -usa

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

SPIKELINN
model: 750 Paso
year: 1990

Wiring diagram colours ?? uk -usa

Post by SPIKELINN »

RIGHT NEW TO THIS FORUM STUFF SO BARE WITH ME ?
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE RECTIFIER COLOURS FOR THE 750 PASO ARE ALL THE SAME FOR UK SPEC BIKES AND USA ?
MINES A UK SPEC. :shock:
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Re: Wiring diagram colours ?? uk -usa

Post by paso750 »

the original wiring colours should be the same, although if you look at the California Pasos's wiring, the two wires from the alternator are orange instead of yellow and at contact C there's a brown wire instead of a green/black one. If you have an aftermarket regulator it's possible its wiring colours are different.
What colour wires do you have? You can attach a picture to your posts.

Pls. don't type all caps, thanks.
SPIKELINN

Post by SPIKELINN »

reg
reg
reg rec2.jpg (32.56 KiB) Viewed 8429 times
sorry about the CAPS, The after market reg is ok for the input from the generator usual two yellow and one red,
regulator / rec I have bought has two yellows two reds and black and white, black is case earthed and white prob' + output but means I have extra red mmmm?
tried to add a photo ? not sure it worked, man I'm rubbish at this .
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Do NOT ground the black wire! On many aftermarket regulators the black wire is a voltage sensing wire. That is connected to any hot lead that has 12V at ignition on. It should be connected to a wire that has stable voltage with no voltage loss. If the wire suffers from a voltage loss (compared to the battery's voltage) the regulator will try to compensate by increasing charge which over some time will kill the battery.
The white wire is for the charging warning light.
The two red wires can be joined. Also install an additional wire from the regulator housing to an existing ground point.
To be sure: the red wire of the alternator is NOT connected to the red wire of the regulator.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

- edited -

summed up:

regulator - original wiring
black - to ground
white - blue
red - red/black (not the red of the stator!)
red (join both red wires from the regulator)
yellow - yellow
yellow - yellow
red from the stator is not used
green/black from the bike's wiring harness is unused (isolate)

or

regulator - original wiring
black - to ground
white - blue
red - red/black (not the red of the stator!)
red (join both red wires from the regulator)
yellow - yellow (join both yellow wires from the stator)
yellow - red (from stator)
green/black from the bike's wiring harness is unused (isolate)

You'll have to see which of the two works. It's basically the same as described in these instructions:
https://app.box.com/s/r16ixjegwfl7aq3ybd0c
SPIKELINN

Post by SPIKELINN »

Ah man your a star i'll try that, just want it to be reliable and here in the uk weather can change quick so be using half decent connectors . Thanks again.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

there's contradicting information about the black wire if you search online. :banghead:
Here it says it is actually a ground connection:
http://www.tosave.com/p/Motorcycle-Volt ... 11247.html
Is that black wire as thick as the others or thinner and do you have an ohm meter?
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

If the black wire reads continuity to the regulator case it is almost definitely a ground wire. Connecting it to a switched 12V circuit will blow a fuse or burn something out.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
SPIKELINN

Post by SPIKELINN »

I Derek that's what I was thinking, getting straight 0.0 ohms from case to black wire so direct connection, have had bike turning over, but not got the old carb back on yet so no real power out genny yet.
ive got another reg/rec coming from usa that's an electrix one or what ever its called but has better wiring info, 1st when I stripped bike I never took note of the wiring fitted to the old reg/rec due to working on loads of jap bikes spike here thought that the wiring dia would be spot on mmmmm, the output connector was burnt and the main head light connector, sure sign of over current.
2nd what a nightmare stripping the full bike down due to rust, but got it for a song so thought well 1st Italian bike in the stable so get on with it ya Tad!!!
cheers again spike.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Derek, it seems you're right. But if you look at other regulators tho the black is the sensor wire i.e. Electrex ESR540 or an original Ducati Energia regulator (pic below).
Also in the Electrex ESR510 instruction the black wire is mentioned.
Some regulators have a black ground wire, on others the ground wire is green.
Attachments
e1372_anschlussplan.jpg
e1372_anschlussplan.jpg (26.18 KiB) Viewed 8387 times
electrosport-esr510-fitting-instructions.jpg
electrosport-esr510-fitting-instructions.jpg (149 KiB) Viewed 8387 times
SPIKELINN

Post by SPIKELINN »

paso750 the diagram shows a green wire as well must be the invisible one on the rectifier just not making sense, as I wrote to Derek the black is ground to casing, i'll await for the other reg /rec see how I get on with that, got loads of other things to do to the bike but getting there, tell you the visa is getting a kick in but hopefully worth it.
thanks again spike.
SPIKELINN

Post by SPIKELINN »

So in principle the green wire is just the same as the black as this is the negative earth through the bike ? the white looks like its the positive output to the battery, its just getting the correct connections into the loom that's bursting my peanut of a brain.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

the diagram shows a green wire as well
So in principle the green wire is just the same as the black
Careful. Let's put it like this. Usually on vehicle electrics black wires are ground, on some regulators tho (i.e. Electrex) ground is not black but green (see pic above). Let's also differ between regulator wiring and the bikes wiring harness. On your P750 the green/black wire is hot. It's the voltage sensor of the original regulator and is connected to the center fuse.
If you measure continuity between the black wire and the housing connect that wire to ground as you already did and isolate the green/black wire from the original wiring. As on the Electrex unit it's not used.
White is for the charge light.
SPIKELINN

Post by SPIKELINN »

white to blue, double up the red then to + ,black to earth and i'll make a link from case as well, then simple yellow to yellow leave out the red from gen' ,Bingo !!! should be onto a winner. grand cheers again for the help.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

it's either that or double up the yellow from the stator and connect those to one yellow from the regulator and the red of the stator to the other yellow of the regulator as per the Electrex/Electrosport instructions (first link posted). Since you verified that black is ground an additional wire to the case is not necessary.