Brake disk rubbing

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

plasmid
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Brake disk rubbing

Post by plasmid »

I had the tires changed a few weeks ago and I just noticed that the brake disk is rubbing on the pads - makes quite a bit of noise
which wasn't there before.

Since I have zero confidence in the shop that changed the tires considering they lost the front wheel washer etc,
can you guys tell me if this is normal / acceptable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2CIPDwAqSM&t=8s

There are also some scrapes on the edge of the disk.
Attachments
paso brake disk.jpg
paso brake disk.jpg (84.82 KiB) Viewed 13774 times
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Brake disk rubbing

Post by Mc tool »

NO , that ain't right. Is there any free play in the brake pedal or is it feeling solid, either the master cyl is not releasing the brake properly after use or the shop has put a spacer in the wrong place . I wouldn't ride it as I can see the brake over heating , and possibly locking without warning
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

Mc tool wrote:NO , that ain't right. Is there any free play in the brake pedal or is it feeling solid, either the master cyl is not releasing the brake properly after use or the shop has put a spacer in the wrong place . I wouldn't ride it as I can see the brake over heating , and possibly locking without warning

Alright, thanks. Brake seems fine. I think it's the latter.

What's your opinion of the scrape on the edge of the disk? Could it be rubbing there also?

I'll start pulling it apart today. Damn 'professionals'
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

Just undid the caliper bolts - they were super tight.

Hand tightened there's no weird rubbing. Moderately tightened there's just a hint of the noise.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Ok , make sure the caliper bolts are not going so far thru the bracket , that the end is rubbing on the disc ,if so a washer under the head of the bolt. Get your head down at axle level behind the wheel and eyeball the disc ,it should be in the centre of the caliper, not off to one side. Some assemblies could have a steel washer between the caliper and the mounting bracket but I can't remember offhand if Paso does.
angelix
model: 907 I.E.

Post by angelix »

Years ago I was in a tyre shop looking a "professional" working on a 906 rear tyre.

The way they worked around that bike was so bad I vowed to never let a "professional" tyre fitter touch my bike; the sad part is that it was a very well regarded shop and later on I discovered that they did a very bad job on my car... too late unfortunately...

Since then I always take the wheels out myself, better safe than sorry.
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

angelix wrote:Years ago I was in a tyre shop looking a "professional" working on a 906 rear tyre.

The way they worked around that bike was so bad I vowed to never let a "professional" tyre fitter touch my bike; the sad part is that it was a very well regarded shop and later on I discovered that they did a very bad job on my car... too late unfortunately...

Since then I always take the wheels out myself, better safe than sorry.

And the crazy part is that they're still the ones making the noise.
Man .... one of these days.
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

Mc tool wrote:Ok , make sure the caliper bolts are not going so far thru the bracket , that the end is rubbing on the disc ,if so a washer under the head of the bolt. Get your head down at axle level behind the wheel and eyeball the disc ,it should be in the centre of the caliper, not off to one side. Some assemblies could have a steel washer between the caliper and the mounting bracket but I can't remember offhand if Paso does.

Can anyone with a 750 confirm if there are washers between the caliper and the bracket?

The bolts are original and not going through the bracket.

I pulled the caliper and the pads, cleaned everything and put it back. Pretty much the same thing. There's one spot where it's 'resonating'

Strangely i can make it go away if I loosen the bolts on the end of the right side fork.

I remember that idiot mechanic had tightened the end of the fork before the spindle on that side,
which caused the tire to touch the fork, when he turned the wheel by hand. Not sure if that has anything to do with this, but dumb asz.

I did have it up to 140 km/h when I came back because a storm was starting.

Guess I'll have to pull the entire wheel and remount it to make sure everything's right.
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

angelix wrote:Years ago I was in a tyre shop looking a "professional" working on a 906 rear tyre.

The way they worked around that bike was so bad I vowed to never let a "professional" tyre fitter touch my bike; the sad part is that it was a very well regarded shop and later on I discovered that they did a very bad job on my car... too late unfortunately..

Check this out - another very well regarded shop that prepares cars for Formula 3, Lemans etc, did a major service on a Ferrari.
Installed one of the camshaft half bearings upside down. Camshaft seized, destroyed the engine.
All verified through inspections etc. It's in the courts.

Lots of insane, criminally incompetent, 'professionals' out there.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

The next thing to check is that the eccentric adjusters are both correctly positioned on the axle. They are splined onto the axle and there is one spline missing so they only fit one way , but with a little misguided persistence they can be made to fit wrong and the result is an axle that is skewiff in the swingarm. I get the feeling there is nothing "broken " , just been put back together wrong somewhere
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

Mc tool wrote:The next thing to check is that the eccentric adjusters are both correctly positioned on the axle. They are splined onto the axle and there is one spline missing so they only fit one way , but with a little misguided persistence they can be made to fit wrong and the result is an axle that is skewiff in the swingarm. I get the feeling there is nothing "broken " , just been put back together wrong somewhere

Yeah, I remember that - only the left side is like that, no?

I know he saw the missing spline and he was having some trouble but it looked like he got it right.
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

Get a hold of this - that idiot left all of the sprocket bolts totally loose - not even finger tight.
Total lunatic.

And to think, I took it to a Harley place because I was scared of the scooter place.

Anyway, I took the wheel off and remounted it - that resonating noise is gone.

Thanks for the help.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Ah well just deserts " took it to a Harley shop " :D
plasmid

Post by plasmid »

Mc tool wrote:Ah well just deserts " took it to a Harley shop " :D
Thought I'd pick the lesser of 2 evils ;)

Hit the jackpot of stupidity.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Yeah ? What was the other one -:)