Clutch release bearing, well nuts and float height

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

speedtrifle

Clutch release bearing, well nuts and float height

Post by speedtrifle »

For those interested the clutch release bearing on a 750 Paso, the one in the slave piston, is a 608-ZZ, the ZZ meaning metal shielded. It's a pain to remove the old one but well worth the hassle since the bearing is about £4 from a factor as opposed to £87+ for the complete piston from a Ducati dealer.

The correct fairing screw and Well Nut are 037099013 and 036499020 and are still used on recent Dukes so are still available from Ducati dealers. The Well Nut is actually a 6WN15A available from http://www.rivetwise.co.uk at £37 per 100.

DCNF float level adjustment details can be found on http://www.theape.com/float.html, although remember that the correct float height for the plastic float is 46mm, NOT the 48mm shown for the cylindrical brass float.

Hope this info is useful,
Steve.
steele

Post by steele »

Well i was about to post i had found a source for well nuts and screw at £20 for ten :oops: :thumbdown: wish i had seen this before i ordered :sad:
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Is that a standard bearing number or related to a specific manufacturer??
speedtrifle

Clutch release bearing

Post by speedtrifle »

The 608 is an industry standard size and is commonly used in skateboard wheels!!

The ZZ is for a double metal shield, I think a single Z would mean it was only shielded on one side. On reflection I would have gone for a platic shielded bearing as they are better sealed against clutch dust. Although they are rated at a lower speed they easily meet the 5000rpm maximum clutch speed. The NSK bearing I fitted is a close tolerance type rated to 32,000 rpm and cost £3.87.

They don't come with much lubricant so I added a small amount of chain lube since it penetrates the bearing without having to pry out one of the shields. I also put a small amount of chain lube on the spring plate spigot which sits in the end of the mainshaft and this has fixed the last of the screeching noises the clutch made while disengaging.

I think the release bearing design could be better since ball races aren't designed to take a continuous side thrust. A radial needle bearing would have been better, although impossible to seal against the clutch dust. Ducati clearly thought so as the later engines, eg Monsters etc, have a different arrangement with a pushrod and the slave cylinder on the left of the engine.

Steve.