The Inevitable and Endless Tire Thread

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Underblog

Post by Underblog »

It is time to replace the tires on the 750 Sport. I think it is still wearing the Michelin's it came from the factory wearing. I am considering Dunlop D208 130/70-16 for the front and D205 150/80-16 for the rear. Will I have to extend my swingarm as the Paso folks have to, or does the Sport have adequate clearance? Has anyone here ever tried this combo on a Sport?

I appreciate any light that can be brought to bear on the subject.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Re: The Inevitable and Endless Tire Thread

Post by Finnpaso »

I think near all Pasos came from factory with Pirelli tires, not with Michelins. Those Pirellis have been out of markets very long time ago, Very big pitty from Italalian tire manufacturer, as Pasos were also coming from Italy..... :mad: ...but this helps :smoke:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

this german guy:

http://www.ducclub.de/technik/750s.htm

used Metzeler 130/70 ZR 16 TL MEZ1 F and 150/80 ZR 16 TL MEZ2 before convertig to 17" with 180/55-17 on the rear and 120/70-17 on the front.
The swingarm is different compared to the one of the Paso and there seems to be more clearance. The chain though needed (3mm) spacers to keep min 5mm clearance to the rear tire and the front mudguard required some spacers also.

G.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

The stock tire are very available here in the States. I would not change until I couldn't get the Michelins. Then I would do the 17" conversion.
Underblog

Post by Underblog »

Finnpaso --

According to Falloon's 2-Valve Belt Drive Ducati book, some 750 Paso's left the factory wearing Michelin's. FYI.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

only the first had Pirelli MP7s, but they were discontinued so from then on it was Michelin.
Christian
year: 1989

Post by Christian »

Hi,

On Sport, the swing arm is done for 17" wheel (as like as 900 Supersport 89-90').
That means the 150/80 R16 pass without any problem !
I have mount 17" wheels for racing on original fork and swing arm.
See http://zattol.com/perso/Bresse_aout_09.html
Last edited by Christian on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Underblog

Post by Underblog »

Christian

How did you put a 17" front wheel on there? Did you have to replace both the forks and the triple clamps?

Best regards,

Eric W
Christian

Post by Christian »

Eric,

I have keep original fork M1R and triple clamps.
I have just made a piece tube to put the wheel at the middle of fork.
But I use it for race, no need the speed sensor !

Christian
Underblog

Post by Underblog »

Does anyone here have experience with the Avon A45 / A46 combination on a 750 Sport? Over on Ducati.ms someone said that the taller tires make the bike (almost) handle like it had 17" tires.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

I`ve heard from one guy that the tire gets a flatter shape as the rim is larger than the one its actually recommended for so depending how you ride you can get close to the edge of the tire`s thread.
Soames

Post by Soames »

Underblog wrote:Does anyone here have experience with the Avon A45 / A46 combination on a 750 Sport? Over on Ducati.ms someone said that the taller tires make the bike (almost) handle like it had 17" tires.
I've just fitted an AV45/AV46 combination on my sport.

The front is 130/70 and whilst the side walls are comparable in size, the tyre has a rounder profile. Spacers were of course required for the front mud guard.

The rear is a 150/80 and as has already been stated, not as wide as the original but quite a bit taller. The chap who fitted the tyre for me put an inner tube in the tyre and this seems to have pushed it into the rim sides, I had to add a link or two to the chain to get enough clearance between tyre and back part of the swing arm.

As to the handling, well so far so good, but to be honest, I've not pushed it as I've just changed the brake hoses and more bleeding is required to get some better bite at the front and any bite at all on the rear.
anton88
model: 750 Sport

Post by anton88 »

Hi Soames,

Any update on how these tyres handle on your bike ????

Cheers. Ant.
Soames wrote:
Underblog wrote:Does anyone here have experience with the Avon A45 / A46 combination on a 750 Sport? Over on Ducati.ms someone said that the taller tires make the bike (almost) handle like it had 17" tires.
I've just fitted an AV45/AV46 combination on my sport.

The front is 130/70 and whilst the side walls are comparable in size, the tyre has a rounder profile. Spacers were of course required for the front mud guard.

The rear is a 150/80 and as has already been stated, not as wide as the original but quite a bit taller. The chap who fitted the tyre for me put an inner tube in the tyre and this seems to have pushed it into the rim sides, I had to add a link or two to the chain to get enough clearance between tyre and back part of the swing arm.

As to the handling, well so far so good, but to be honest, I've not pushed it as I've just changed the brake hoses and more bleeding is required to get some better bite at the front and any bite at all on the rear.