this year!

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
commotoed
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

this year!

Post by commotoed »

hello all, i have had my 750Sport mothballed in the corner for the past three years, "time to break out the gimp, gimps asleep, guess you better wake her up!"
She is kinda a found treasure that i already own. So i will probably have some q's? for everyone in the future.
So far my friendly Duc dealer has had the minor parts & stuff needed.
Here's where we are,
New choke lever, waiting on cable
New clutch m/c & SS line
New brakes SS hoses
New F1 rear turn signals
Changed oil & filter, fuel filter on the way
Picked up Malossi header (not installed) 2-1
other wise all stock, rode around the block in AZ when i bought her, 3 years ago
11k, pretty good Michelins (yech!)
also picked up a couple keihins, maybe?
I just want to get running & find out if mods are wanted?

What is the unique small 8mm socket to remove the airhorn (top of carb) in the air box to remove airbox & then carb (original weber)
90' 750 Sport
97 Gsf1200 aka Ziptie
78' 900 GTS (bevel)
98' Gsf1200 bagger
86' GSXR712
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Re: this year!

Post by jcslocum »

Welcome!! The sport is a cool bike. I have abuddy who has been looking for one.

Timing belts must be at the top of your list for changing. This is important, so don't ignore them. They are quite easy to change and some instructions can be found here: http://www.ducatisuite.com

The Michelins are the only choice for stock tires. They are not produced very often. Buy an extra set when you can to keep them in stock.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Good to see another Sport getting resurrected. You will find a lot of info on these pages about the carburation and the engine. For some other insights about Sport specific parts, visit http://sport-classic.net/
there is a good forum there for the 750-900 Sport.

If that engine hasn't run in a while, that carb will need to be cleaned out. The forks could probably do with an oil change also. If the clutch cover is at all been 'ventilated' the clutch plates have a tendency to rust together, so its good to pull the cover off and make sure everything is kosher in there.

Some people have claimed that there was a recent run of the special tires fairly recently. Any tire more that 3 years old is suspect.

Keep us informed of your progress, and the challenges. Lots of good folks here to help you through it.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
commotoed

Post by commotoed »

Yep, Weber is being rebuilt & jetted, new fuel filter, choke cable, Does anyone remove the airbox on the weber? Some kinda cool airfilter? Clutch plates are not stuck, hydraulics were fresh as well oil changed before the long sleep. Anyone ever operate on the stock mufflers?
tia eh

90' 750 Sport
97 Gsf1200 aka Ziptie
78' 900 GTS (bevel)
98' Gsf1200 bagger
86' GSXR712
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

if you want best performance keep the airbox and maybe change to a K&N filter. Removing the box will mainly result in more noise.

G.
289cdo

Post by 289cdo »

hi i fitted a k/n filter on my sport, i think it is a better looking filter once fitted as there is alot more space between the cylinders, and i did find the bike did perform better once the carb had been tweeked. the number for the k/n filter i fitted is 56-1120. the cost was £58 uk pounds. :thumbup:
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

any deep 1/4 drive 8mm socket should work. Keep the airbox get a k&n and modify the top to hold it in place but not restrict the filter face see the 750FAQ for rejetting info
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie