eBay 750 Sport

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Underblog

eBay 750 Sport

Post by Underblog »

Lowered reserve:

http://tinyurl.com/ytkunc

BIN was 5500, now 4900. Perhaps when it gets down to 4400 or 4000 the seller will have a buyer!
Underblog

Re: eBay 750 Sport (GA)

Post by Underblog »

More reasonable price this one:
http://tinyurl.com/22ulgk
Underblog

Re: eBay 750 Sport (OH)

Post by Underblog »

They are out in numbers this week!

http://tinyurl.com/2bkss2
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Re: eBay 750 Sport

Post by jcslocum »

It's really hard to figure FMV for this model. Every one I see has been changed around in some way which has a negative effect on value in my opinion.

Interesting that they are showing up more often...
Underblog

Another eBay 750 Sport / Valuation

Post by Underblog »

I have seen this one for sale before. The custom body work is unmistakable.

http://tinyurl.com/26fb8h

I agree with Jon, "customization" in my eyes usually diminishes value, unless the enhancements are more-or-less period and they increase performance. Stainless brake lines, for instance, are simply a good idea on a machine of this age.

With respect to price, FMV is by definition whatever any person is willing to fork over at any specified time. Given the number of 750 Sports that do not make their reserve prices on eBay I think that most people overestimate the value of their machines. Rarity only matters if the quantity is a sought-after one. A mint-condition 750 Sport will not be the flat-out racer that a F1 is, nor will be it the robust daily-rider of a later 750 SS. Right now, I think 750 Sports are the most affordable Ducati's one can buy, with early 851's right behind them. I would venture that 3 out every 4 851's I see listed do not make their reserve.

Come to think of it, I purchased both of my Ducati's after the PO's had failed to get their reserve price on them. The 851 I purchased because I was the only bidder the second time he put it up and I saved 400-500 dollars on shipping that someone out of state would have paid. For the 750 Sport I made a "second-chance" offer after the bike failed to meet reserve for the second time.

Hardly-Ablesons suffer from the same fate. Perform an advanced search for closed auctions and see how many actually sold for what the seller thought they were worth.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Another eBay 750 Sport / Valuation

Post by jcslocum »

Underblog wrote:
Stainless brake lines, for instance, are simply a good idea on a machine of this age.

With respect to price, FMV is by definition whatever any person is willing to fork over at any specified time. Given the number of 750 Sports that do not make their reserve prices on eBay I think that most people overestimate the value of their machines. Rarity only matters if the quantity is a sought-after one.
SS lines are better but they don't really add any value. Very few "add-ons" actually bring the value up. In fact, most folks strip off accessories and sell them seperate from the bike.

FMV is very hard to pin down. It's just interesting that these guys are trying to push the value up. It's not a collectable!
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

FMV means future market value ?

G.
Underblog

Post by Underblog »

I thought it meant Fair Market Value.
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Jon,
tell us what it means FMV!
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Ducman

Post by Ducman »

paso750 wrote:FMV means future market value ?

G.
That was a joke, and a good one IMHO
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

Ducman wrote:That was a joke, and a good one IMHO
Ducman,
we, who aren't native speakers of English, have some difficult with your jokes :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: .
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Sorry guys!! Fair Market Value.

I have a list of what I like to call "bikes of interest" and track the selling prices in a spread sheet. The Sport is on the list but a very low priority. FMV (by my selling average) for the Sport is $3150 for a complete, clean example. What we have been watching is folks that put the Sport on Ebay for $5000 and seem surprised that is doesn't sell.

Future Market Value = GAMBLING!!! Better to take you money to Las Vegas.....