hi,duke noob here

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
cat980

hi,duke noob here

Post by cat980 »

hi to everybody.
first time with one of these,impressed so far after my first long ride out today.(only got it yesterday)
she has a few niggles,a misfire after a good throttling,suspect dirt in carb(open bellmouths on delorto conversion)and a dribbly slave cylinder(clutch).
bike is a 1988 750 sport i belive,21yrs old n 60,000klm.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Re: hi,duke noob here

Post by jcslocum »

That's a good looking bike! The engine is the same as the paso so there is tons of engine info in the Paso section of the forum. The carbs need filters and if you can find some trumpets to put on before the filter it will help by keeping they speed of the airflow up.

There is also lots on info in the FAQ about clutch slaves and seals.

Good luck and change those belts if you don't know their age.
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducapaso »

Welcome and congratulations!
Vintage ducs require quite a good maintenance to express their very best but can give you oh, so mutch!
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
cat980

Post by cat980 »

thanks.
getting a small list of what i need tonite.
im still unsure of what clutch slaves will fit off other ducatis tho,seen a few on flebay but they r quoted as for all sorts of duc ive never heard of.
is there a list somewhere of ones that fit,even with a little modification,id like to sort that area out once and for all if i can then move on to changing belts etc.
i have a pdf manual but its multi language and doesnt really explain anything at all lol.(mind im old and getting dumber by the day)
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Hello,

if you still have the original clutch cover you can find info about the slave piston in the P750 FAQ.
Note that there seem to be covers like on the 750F1 that look identical but which use a slave piston with a different diameter (27,95mm instead of 26mm)
The misfiring could have many causes. The open inlets, misbalancing of the carbs, airleaks, wrong spark plugs, low spark, carb jetting in combination with open inlets and exhaust etc.
With that silencer and the open inlets it looks like a loud bike.

G.
cat980

Post by cat980 »

paso750 wrote:Hello,

if you still have the original clutch cover you can find info about the slave piston in the P750 FAQ.
Note that there seem to be covers like on the 750F1 that look identical but which use a slave piston with a different diameter (27,95mm instead of 26mm)
The misfiring could have many causes. The open inlets, misbalancing of the carbs, airleaks, wrong spark plugs, low spark, carb jetting in combination with open inlets and exhaust etc.
With that silencer and the open inlets it looks like a loud bike.

G.

yep,its sounds great,a real deep throb and a thwacking noise on decell.
found the carbs full of crap so spect its that,other possiblity seems to be low floats but ill need to measure etc when i rebuild them,or perhaps the tank filter.
still working my thru the faqs.:),nice collection of info.
just got to make contact with some parts suppliers yet.
cheers.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Your clutch slave is built into the clutch cover and is rebuildable, not replaceable with any other Duc slave. If you mean the master is leaking I think that is also rebuildable.

The old floats get heavy from the new fuels that attack the faom material. Here in the NY -USA we have 10 methanol or some other kind of alchohol and it readily soaks the floats. If your going to tear them down, just replace them.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Your clutch slave is built into the clutch cover and is rebuildable, not replaceable with any other Duc slave
the clutch slave piston is replaceable with clutch slave piston from other Ducs. (mentioned also in FAQs)

G.