Another 'new' owner

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
anton88
model: 750 Sport
year: 1989

Another 'new' owner

Post by anton88 »

Hi, Just introducing myself (Anton) and a few questions :

Great website btw :thumbup:

Have just won an 89 750 sport on e-bay. I had a look at the bike before bidding heard it running etc.... I'm happy with the price i paid for it !

Have been searching on the forum to gain as much info beforehand. But still a few q's:

1) what is the correct procedure for checking the oil level and confirm oil type 20w/50 ?

2) It has a cracked screen at the moment, will a screen for a later 750ss or 900ss fit ? or does anyone know any uk or european companies that sell replacement screens ?

Hopefully collecting the bike this weekend - will be a gentle ride back home as not known when the belts were last changed (its done 26000 km, but been standing around a bit). I'm going to be doing all the service work myself (correct tools permitting) as i'm ok with a set of spanners, and have downloaded the workshop manual from the site here already :choo:

Will try to get some pics up eventually.

And finally - would a fairing set for a 750 F1 fit this bike, or are they physically very different in size ? I'm thinking of possibly an F1 replica courtesey of these guys :cool: : http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/duc ... 985-88.htm

will check back soon. Cheers. Ant.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Re: Another 'new' owner

Post by jcslocum »

Chek the oil cold and the bike balanced on the tires so it's "level". You want the oil level in between the min and max marks next to the glass.

Belts are a breeze to change and should be done ASAP. Check ducatisuite.com for info.

Don't know about the rest.....

Welcome and good luck with a sweet bike!
Manxman

Post by Manxman »

Hi Anton,
wellcome to the club!!! :beer:

About the screen, the screen from later models (750SS..) does not fit! But you should be able to get screens for your bike, I found one adress:
http://www.mt-tuning.com/index.php?cat= ... tml&page=2
(site is in german, I know) Anyhow, this MRA screens may be also available in the UK.

If the fairing of the F1 would fit, I can ask a colleague, who owns this two bikes. He might be able to check visually.

Oil: The original manual says to use Agip SINT2000 (new).
This is a (partially?) synthetic oil, 10W-40, ester based. I am driving now a full synthetic 10W-50 without problems. The dry clutch does not "suffer" from the choice of oil!!

Let us know, how it runs.
Before thinking to change the carbs (because of rough accelaration and not a smooth running) you could consider to change the fuel pump. I made a excellent experience with changing to a membrane pump. No more problems with the Weber carbs, smooth running. Just my own experience....

Cheers + safe ride!
Felix
anton88

Post by anton88 »

Cheers for that guys :thumbup:
anton88

Post by anton88 »

Hi Manxman - i'd really appreciate it if you are able to get some dimensions for the F1 fairings - i think (although i may be wrong) that the biggest problem may be the front/top of frame/engine area, as the F1 has a narrower tank and didnt have the eider weber carb ? If i could get it to fit that would be great + seat unit. We dont have any F1's where i live, so cant see one to get an idea :wacko:

I'm not really looking to change the weber carb if i can help it - as long ias i can get it running as good as possible, i should be happy.

I should be coillecting the bike to bring home this weekend, so wish me luck and i'll post sopme pics soon.

Cheers. Ant

Manxman wrote:Hi Anton,
wellcome to the club!!! :beer:

About the screen, the screen from later models (750SS..) does not fit! But you should be able to get screens for your bike, I found one adress:
http://www.mt-tuning.com/index.php?cat= ... tml&page=2
(site is in german, I know) Anyhow, this MRA screens may be also available in the UK.

If the fairing of the F1 would fit, I can ask a colleague, who owns this two bikes. He might be able to check visually.

Oil: The original manual says to use Agip SINT2000 (new).
This is a (partially?) synthetic oil, 10W-40, ester based. I am driving now a full synthetic 10W-50 without problems. The dry clutch does not "suffer" from the choice of oil!!

Let us know, how it runs.
Before thinking to change the carbs (because of rough accelaration and not a smooth running) you could consider to change the fuel pump. I made a excellent experience with changing to a membrane pump. No more problems with the Weber carbs, smooth running. Just my own experience....

Cheers + safe ride!
Felix
anton88

Post by anton88 »

Well, after an hour and a half of travelling by train and taxi, i picked up the bike yesterday to ride it home - WOW !

Was much better than i expected - the 16" wheels certainly felt odd, but the carburation was much better than i was expecting after reading lots of negative comments about the webber carb!

About 10 mins into my journey, it started to rain and never stopped for the hour and a half journey home ! The fairing was surprisingly effective at keeping the rain off me. There was plenty of grunt for overtakes. I REALLY loved the engine :choo:

I kept the revs below 6000, as the bikes been standing for a while, but it still ran well. Its still wearing Michelin radials of the original size - but doubt they are the original tyres that came with the bike. Theres not much tread left, so will have to start my search for the best fit replacement.

Its also been fitted with BOS silencers, but dont know if its been re-jetted to suit - but certainly seemed to pull well. Its in pretty good shape - some cosmetic damage that needs sorting - looks better than it is in the pics. Chain is screwed and probably sprokets also. Front discs seem to have worn down quite a bit - werent very good in the wet !!! :shock:

And really needs a thorough going over and service to bring it back onto top form (keep me busy over the winter), but its got potential to be a cracking bike :thumbup: I really dont know how many of these are in the uk - dont think iove ever seen one on thew road near me before (i know ive read that you guys in the states only got 400. So im quite tempted to do my best to try and restore it to as near original condition as possible - but it depends on parts availability for some of the items eg -discs.

Anyway, heres a few pics for now after i parked her straight n the garage :

anton88

Post by anton88 »

Been e-mailing 'Dutch' @ airtech in California - cost of fairings + delivery to a uk airport is gonna be about 800 dollars. Works out around £400 in uk, but thats before any import taxes which i may get stung for (could push it up to around £500 :twisted: So i'm not sure about going down this route now - its a lot to invest in an older bike + still all the work to prep and paint and fit etc :roll: + ive got to spend a lot on other parts of the bike - chain,spkts, pads etc etc etc .....

But ive got a few other ideas in my twisted head, so see what happens.

BIGGEST problem is tyres - can get 16" but the profiles will be out (70 for front and 80 for rear + not to sure about running a tube in the back tyre + the possibility of 'odd' handling). So ive been doing some internet research and 'may' have found a solution :truck:

CBR 600 early model (with the steel frame) has wheel sizes that will fit - the front discs on these are the same diameter as the sport :thumbup: but they are slightly more inward, so i would have to machine about 2.5 mm off the calliper mounting 'ears' to line them up with the discs. As for the rear - dont know yet - i'm just trying to source a pair of wheels discs etc at the moment, so will let you guys know. If i can get these wheels to fit, it would mean no need for new forks, yokes, callipers etc - saving a hudge wedge of cash and meaning i can get decent tyres.

The prices and availability of early ss and monster parts over here is not very good (£100 for a back wheel and not many of them, fronts are about £160 including discs - these are second hand ! ) - whereas cbr parts are all over the place.

Will hopefully keep you posted over the next few weeks with some pics :beer:

Ant.
Manxman

Post by Manxman »

Hi Ant,
I haven´t reach the guy with the F1, to get his opinion about changing the fairing. Maybe this week.

About the Tyres, that will be my next problem, too.
Your new option of CBR600 wheel sounds great, even if there are more choices available in 16" size on the market. The 130/70 Michelin Pilot Sport is a excellent choice, available in 16". And since there some japanese bikes out there running, I guess it will be produced another couple of years.
"Real" problem is the back wheel, where there are only a few dimensions available and not a single in 160/60.

Whats the wheel size of the Honda CBR600, front and back same size? I thought the first Fireblades came also with a 16" front wheel, but 17" on the back.

Looks like the 150/80 might remain as the only possible option.... or has someone here tried to use the 180/60 (in this case maybe you have to adjust the chain more "outbound" by mounting the sprocket on spacers?)

Cheers
Felix
anton88

Post by anton88 »

Hi Felix,

The wheel sizes of the early cbr 600's are 17" (yep - early fireblades had 16" front and 17" rear).

Ive managed to win a pair on e-bay, so just waiting for delivery, then i can see if they really will fit :wacko: I'm sure that with some machining work i can get them on there safely. They are a six spoke design, so i went for both, as i didnt want odd looking wheels. plus hopefully i will have a better choice of tyres. The early front cbr wheell also has the same size diameter disc as the 750 sport, so that one less thing to worry about :choo:

Heres some pics of the wheels i'm waiting for: (standard cbr tyre sizes are 120/60-ZR17 front and 160/60-ZR17 rear)

Just waiting for delivery, then i'll get some pics up i hope !

Cheers. Ant.
Manxman

Post by Manxman »

Hin Ant,
talked to the F1 owner... he confirmed what you already said: ..."that the biggest problem may be the front/top of frame/engine area, as the F1 has a narrower tank.."
Also the fork of the F1 seems to be not so wide and all the upper frame area is more narrow on the F1. Means you might face some problems with the F1 fairing, getting it fixed on the bike. The original 750sport fairing is splitted in horizontal way, while the F1 is splitted vertically, means you can´t assemble it "wider" just by a twisting it apart.. it will break, sooner or later.
(The guy here has one F1 fairing "on-sale", but its only for sports use, so no opening for the front light. If you´re interested, let me know.... even it might be very difficult to send over by "parcel")...

Did you receive your wheels? How do they look like? I have now got an attractive offer for some used SS wheels in 17", I am now collecting detailled informations about the change.... (if/which brake disks fit, what else need to be done.... longer side stand, spacers under the mud guards, sprocket fits?? rear brake is still big ???)...

Cheers
Felix