PROJECT SUCATI !!!!!!!!!!!!! ??????????????????????

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
anton88
model: 750 Sport
year: 1989

Re: PROJECT SUCATI !!!!!!!!!!!!! ??????????????????????

Post by anton88 »

jetboy wrote:since we are showing mods: here is my quick and dirty oil cooler move:

ducati twin valve covers seem to be interchangable. the only difference between ss and sport seems to be that the ss (and monster) are a bit flatter - have less clearance. but you actually dont need that extra clearance - so they work fine. so if you want to do this swap, all you need is a valve cover with a bracket from a later model and the appropriate cooler/lines bolt right in. the only thing to watch out for is that you need both the lines and the "nipples" (official ducati name for them) that screw into the engine block. the stainless lines will not connect to the 750 sport nipples.

i finally got a monster headlight bucket, so going to replace the cb360 thats on it now. speaking of hondas, heres my new cb350f project -- just for fun: this is right after i picked it up.

i spent like 50 dollars just on various solvents to clean it up. but she runs! took her around the block a few times and she pulls surprisingly well! i just fitted some velocity stacks on the carbs after a quickie rebuild/cleaning and it seems to approve of the improved airflow. you have inspired me to make my own seat, ive heard that a good way to go is find an old tank and cut it for that nice tail curve, then spot weld it to a flat pan - im taking a welding class at the end of the month, so thats going to be my project.

and yes, thats a 1971 datsun 521 pickup its in, i thought it was appropriate for the 74 honda!

Jetboy - lovin the cambelt covers - are they chrome or just highlky polished ??? :cool:

Now the pickup and cb is a great combination :thumbup:

Looks like youve got a fair bit of work ahead ;)

Heres some links i used for ideas and inspiration on my old cb if it helps any :

http://www.ttr400.com/custom.html

http://www.caferacer.net/page1.html

I bought my single seat from these guys:

http://www.caferace.com/cgi-bin/mivavm? ... _Code=RRBT
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

Yeah, thats the paint job. I think its appropriate for the Sport since it has a fair amount of silver in it, just like the Sport had. Its also similar in design to the F1 Tricolore, just more aggressive. It should be easy enough to do, as its basically straight lines.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

I just breezed through the photos you posted and noticed something. The big side scoops on the Suzuki fairing don't pull engine heat, but were intended for a radiator up there. You could put oil coolers from a Paso in those big vents. The Paso has the same engine as the Sport, but has two oil coolers mounted on each side of the engine. You can find the oil cooler and lines for cheap on e-bay occasionally, because no body ever needs them.
I know I'm entirely too late for this insight, but there you have it.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

the belt and valve covers are chrome yeah- looks nice on the bike as its naked.

your tail may be a bit high, but it looks good in the "unpainted" pictures. i think the computer aided coloring makes it look flat, and more bulky than it actually is.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I also think the tail is too high. It looks a bit like from a MadMax movie. I also wonder if that exhaust will do any good regarding perormance as the tubes aren`t curved but have 2 bends.

That modified AfricaTwin is really nice.

G.
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

are you going to do the paint yourself or get a shop to do it? i got out the rattle cans for the cb yesterday:

its looking a little better now. still a thrasher, but i might just leave it that way. good little city bike.

sorry to hijack your thread, but you started it with the honda pics!
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Since we are going to look at Honders, Here's a pic of my 550 Super Sport

Mustang505
year: 1988

Post by Mustang505 »

Hi Anton
you are doing almost exactly what I intend to do with my sport. I've never really liked the standard fairing and seat look. I've always been worried that the tank would look dated with a "newer" style fairing but from your pics actually looks ok. I must say though that i preferred the look of your 1st effort with the ex GSXR seat. I have found an ex TZ250 replica fairing and seat which i plan to fit. Once I have done basic fit i'll take some pics and post for your views.
Cheers and keep it going
Clive
Cheers
Clive
anton88

Post by anton88 »

Mustang505 wrote:Hi Anton
you are doing almost exactly what I intend to do with my sport. I've never really liked the standard fairing and seat look. I've always been worried that the tank would look dated with a "newer" style fairing but from your pics actually looks ok. I must say though that i preferred the look of your 1st effort with the ex GSXR seat. I have found an ex TZ250 replica fairing and seat which i plan to fit. Once I have done basic fit i'll take some pics and post for your views.
Cheers and keep it going
Clive
Hi Clive, the GSXR seat sort of worked, but was just physically too big and totally out of proportion with the rest of the bike.

I think you will do well wioth the TZ seat, as it should be more in proportion with the rest of the bike :thumbup:

Still loads to do my end - lots of prep work to get body parts ready for paint :wacko:

Then the wheels to try and sort and i'm sure i'll come up with lots of other little problems to fix.

Ant.
anton88

Post by anton88 »

Just some details and pics of progress. Progress has been so sloooooooow, but there is progress :choo:

Mostly been doing paintwork - tank is finished, rear seat unit just possibly adding some stickers, then clearcoat and then seat pads to finish. Just finished assembling the unit to hold the projector headlightd (from 2 different suzuki mopeds !) - top fairing will need lot more work to finish housing the lights - its not staying how it looks below :smoke:

An interesting pic of a surprise that a previous owner left on the fork leg to 'cure' a leaking fork seal - some kind of bandage :wacko: - ive got new seals and oil to fit as i knew one of them was leaking anyway.

Still too much to do, but i'll get there :beer: -engine needs to come out to be cleaned up and sprayed back to black (its a bit furry at the moment) Finish setting up mikuni carb conversion and get engine running again after new belts and valve checks/adjustments. Rebuild and paint forks, paint swingarm. Paint frame to match new red. finish main fairing, Try and get the cbr 17" wheels to fit. oh, and rebuild clutch piston, then loads of other important bits like brakes chain etc................

Enough talk, heres some pics:

Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Desmo_Demon »

jcslocum wrote:Since we are going to look at Honders, Here's a pic of my 550 Super Sport
A buddy of mine bought one of those (brown) that he uses as a daily driver. My father used to have an old 400 Supersport and I'm always casually watching for one.
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Desmo_Demon »

Yeah, but my dad's was red. I saw a yellow one for $900 in really nice shape a while back and was tempted on buying it, but it was about 1500 miles from my house.
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

They as I recall ran very well, at least as well as the short lived 500. Keep watching there are still a few around and not everyone is looking for a pot of gold.
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie