750 Sport Clutch - need to source some new bits

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
DougBuell

750 Sport Clutch - need to source some new bits

Post by DougBuell »

Hi Folks, my first post - and I hope you don't mind that I don't actually own a 1988 750 Sport, but I have become all too familair with them as I have had one sitting in my garage for the past two years. It belongs to a mate who loves it, and about two years ago we decided to do some refurb work on it that has become something a little more over time. One day it may even be finished...

The main problem we (he) has in getting it back to running is the result of some work that we don't even understand now what we were doing it for - typical bodging about really. In fiddling with the clutch with a view to a general clean out and new plates, we managed to snap the sintered casting that sits within the clutch basket. I have no idea what it is called (as I have never broken one before) but it is the lump of metal that forms the 5 (I think that is the number) 'posts' that (I think) the clutch springs sit on. Badly described I know, but if you look at the clutch face on you have the basket around the outside, the plates within that, then the end of the five posts facing you. They are part of a casting that sits behind the plates.

Being stupid we broke one of the posts off (and then broke another as we no longer cared, morons....) so he needs to source another one from somewhere, but so far efforts have failed.

My simple enough question is, does anyone know where a likely source may be - even if he had to get the whole assemble rather that just the bit needed. He and I have tried a few breakers with no success, so just wondering if anyone had any pointers to where we might find one.

Your assistance appreciated.
Doug (1998 Buell S1 Lightning in Molton Orange, if you were wondering, but I doubt you were!).
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: 750 Sport Clutch - need to source some new bits

Post by paso750 »

what you mean is the pressure plate

G.
DougBuell

Post by DougBuell »

paso750 wrote:what you mean is the pressure plate

G.
Many thanks - pressure plate it is then. :cool:
DougBuell

Post by DougBuell »

DougBuell wrote:
paso750 wrote:what you mean is the pressure plate

G.
Many thanks - pressure plate it is then. :cool:
Or maybe not! Armed with the 'pressure plate' info, I have been frantically searching the web, and realise that the bit that is broken is actually the Clutch Drum - we broke off the 'spring stems' when fiddling.

So if anyone has any ideas where Clutch Drums can be found, that would be great. My search of the net has produced nothing.... :(
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Hi,

the stems are part of the pressure plate and just come through the holes of the clutch drum.
Check the parts manual Tav.3 part 37.

G.
DougBuell

Post by DougBuell »

G

I see exactly what you mean - more fool me for doubting the expertise of others - I had just assumed that I had described the part so badly there was confusion - but clearly not.

Thanks very much indeed - the parts catalogue will make my searching so much easier - the good work continues.

Best - Doug
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

You`ll easily find a used one on ebay & a new at a Ducdealer.
Most common, still used in many not so old Ducs from this century.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
DougBuell

Post by DougBuell »

Just to thank folks for their help - this could have carried on for months with me ordering the wrong bits, but armed with the facts (rather than my deductions) I found out that the part is not available through Ducati as it is no longer in their supply chain. My thanks to Cornerspeed here in the UK for the trouble they went to, checking with Ducati UK etc. So I got on to Baines Racing (them of 'Imola' fame) and they managed to source a second hand one through phoning around people they now. Most impressive, and pleasing.

Anyway, thanks to all - hopefully we can now get my mate's bike back on the road, and out of my garage! Assuming that one day, it ever does see tarmac again, I be sure to post pictures - it's going to look great, even if a little offensive to purists.... :wacko:

Doug