Picked up one today

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
jetboy
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Picked up one today

Post by jetboy »

So i just bought a 1990 750 sport and thought id indroduce myself as i may well have a lot of questions - this is my first and only duc, so im facing not only lack of duc knowledge in general, but also that this is such a rare model-

complicated by the fact its been downed and the front pretty smashed up.

it seems straight - no shaking or wobbling i could detect, but ill be looking to pretty her back up over the coming months - controls and lights etc smashed. mostly im looking for a decent faring for the front -

also a dent in the tank, i assume those tanks are pretty hard to come by? i could keep going but it would just become a laundry list of little issues

good news is that lots of the major issues seem to have been addressed, has dellorto carbs, newer clutch- i can even get into neutral at stop fairly easily- engine sounds clean and pulls well- 28k on it but seems to have been well maintained-

anyway, its sort of a ratter, but im hoping to make her pretty in her own right, even if she never returns to her original fully clothed glory - if anyone wants some old beat up body pieces- im not planning to use them.
blaster

Re: Picked up one today

Post by blaster »

hi, welcome. its good to have another sport owner in here. i just jumped in a short time ago myself. i have owned my sport since it was new in 1990 and all this time i could'nt find anything like a owners group for sports until i found this site. there are not many of us out there. you say you could use some help with your new buddy, i know a thing or two about this model and there are plenty of others here that do too.
just ask what it is you need to know, someone here will help you. blaster
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

thanks! its an amazing machine. first thing i got to do is bend the front instrument panel bracket down - without breaking it - as currently a sharp turn to the right is not possible as the clutch reservoir/attachments whack into the speedometer.

first time i tried to take a sharp turn i nearly dropped it as i suddenly stopped at about 10 degrees when i needed 20
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Jet,

Ebay will be the best source. I have seen a full set of panels and a tank in the past 2 months. If it's been whacked in the frone you need to inspect the frame around the steering head for crakcs, bends or flaking paint. You should also make sure the forks are still aligned properly. Do a web search and you can find some info on how to do this.. It's pretty much the same for all bikes.
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

yes, there are slight dents in the tubes on the left side where it got hit - seems not to have cracked but i need to have it checked by a professional im thinking.

they PO had a friend who was quite good at fabrication, so many parts are "custom" like the rear swing arm, which it seems like he did an excellent job chopping and welding a SS arm to replace the original- also the clutch lever is fabricated- and the clutch has been completely changed out and the cover vented -

the front forks/shocks also look different than stock but not sure, steel braided brake lines - supertrap exhaust. its well modified! but it runs and i have to say, it was only 900 bucks.
blaster

Post by blaster »

could you post some pictures of the bike showing everything you mentioned. blaster
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

ill try and take some tomorrow and post. it would be good to have some expert eyes tell me what is what on this bike - its sort of a frankenduc.
jetboy

pics

Post by jetboy »

for higher res you can zoom in on:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28434634@N ... 838112035/
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

i have more pics i did not post, if you have a specific area you want to see i might have a pic of it, if not, i can get one.
Last edited by jetboy on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

Good photo's mate and welcome assuming the frame is okay it shouldn't take too much farbrication to get the bike sorted - you have got to get rid of those bug eye headlights though mate they look bloody awful :cry: :wacko:

Likewise I have seen a few parts on ebay recently - there is a panel company in the states that you could contact and see about some new panels

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

f'ing terrible aren't they!

i like the naked look, but got to clean up the front and hoping to find a decent front fairing - keep it simple with a little cafe type- or maybe something like the monster has- and then im mixed on the light. im tempted to go classic with a 7" roundie--
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

englishstiv wrote:Good photo's mate and welcome assuming the frame is okay it shouldn't take too much farbrication to get the bike sorted - you have got to get rid of those bug eye headlights though mate they look bloody awful :cry: :wacko:

Likewise I have seen a few parts on ebay recently - there is a panel company in the states that you could contact and see about some new panels

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/
Unfortunately, Airtech builds fairing panels for the Pasos but not for the Sport 750/900.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

Here, there are some 750 fairings:

http://cgi.ebay.de/DUCATI-750S-Verkleid ... 240%3A1318

Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
blaster

Post by blaster »

hi your front end is stock with the floating brake discs that ducati used to replace the solid mount discs that warped thru warrenty. lots of down hill hard braking. the tank and bodywork are rare in the us but the side panels are fiberglas so repair could be done. you said you do have the old panels? did the last owner bore out the ss swingarm to accept the larger diameter pivot shaft of the sport? is your arm steel or aluminum? one thing. you might want to install a crankcase reed valve assy. i see in the picture that there is a k&n filter on the breather pipe. the original location of the reed valve was in the airbox. just unscrew the fitting that the breather hose is clamped to and screw on a valve from any model (i don't know if a tall one will fit) aftermarket ones are out there too. this valve affects crankcase pressure pulse's that can have a noticable on twins like rough running,uneven idle,or oil leaks. i recommend you get the frame checked out by a frame straighting outfit(gdm?). i have tossed mine into the weeds three times and i still haven't bashed the frame tubes. that thing was hit pretty hard. here is a quick check for a twisted frame. try to loosen the three engine mounting bolts. if there is strong resistence to spinning the bolts your frame is probably out of alienment. don't remove the bolts,you will have a hard time trying to get them back in. i'm curious about the swing arm,please let me know about what i asked earlier. good luck, blaster
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

the arm is aluminum, and from where the weld is it looks like he might have cut the pivot arms off the original and spliced it onto a SS arm - so it might be a combo job. the weld looks clean and no twists- ill try and get pics but you know ill have to remove the tail section to get anything decent.

same guy made the cluch lever- its folded and machined aluminum.

one quick question i have: i need a left side control unit (blinkers et al) - are they the same as the paso or ss?