ignition swap

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
blaster

ignition swap

Post by blaster »

has anybody out there switched the digiplex ignition to the kokusan for any reason? if so, have you tried a lightweight fly wheel like a nichols? my unit is pretty old and if it fails like the first one i had i would like to switch it over. blaster
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: ignition swap

Post by ducinthebay »

Blaster,
It all depends on which motor you ended up with. While Ducati only sold 200 in the US in 1990, they found it necessary (?) to have two different ignition systems. One system was similar to the later SS series and has two pickups on a frame in the case where you can adjust the timing. That system is easy to switch to the Kokusan ignition boxes.

The other system is a bit more problematic. There is a single ignition pickup on the left and case held on with two screws. You can not change the timing on this model. This uses the Magnet Marelli 2S ignition module. What you got is what you got. Not any room for modification, that I know of. If you want to switch this system over, you have to get the pickups on the frame that holds them. You need the more modern flywheel, and finally the ignition boxes. I've heard it has been done, but even on e-bay, it will run you $300-400. And since there are so few of these models, you will be hard pressed to find someone who has done this, so you will need to do the work yourself, or have a very understanding and creative mechanic. Most shops will just look at you funny.

Hope that helps.

Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
blaster

Post by blaster »

thanks for the reply but i was looking for some one who had already tried it. having been a ducati tech in the 90's i already knew about the different ignitions but i think all the us models only had the marelli digiplex ignition. i have never seen a sport with a kokusan system in the us. the reason i asked about this is twofold. first, i worry about the marelli because i am on my third one, though i did ruin one on my own, and ducati doesn't supply them anymore. second, with the kokusan i could try different modifications like different ing units, coils, and a lighter flywheel. i'm 99% positive you can do this but as you said it can get a little expensive so i was looking for some conformation. thanks blaster
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

This is a programmable ignition, replaces Ducati Kokusan etc:
http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

Go to TCI-P4 and download manual & software.
There is a special setting w many possibilities, f e 1 or 2 pickups.
You can order the wiring you need, 1 or 2 pu´s etc.
I have it on my M900 -97 (2 pu´s as you probably know), very happy w it.
Maybe something for you?
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
blaster

Post by blaster »

thanks for the reply, it looks like a good modfication, blaster
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

So,
you´re gonna go digital, blaster? :thumbup:
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
blaster

Post by blaster »

it is one of the modifications i am considering but i lost my job. we are having a little problem with overly greedy people in the usa at the moment and it looks like there is going to be trouble so i hope for the future. blaster
carlopalmas

Post by carlopalmas »

I installed the ignatech 2 days ago.... bike is running rich, may be the map or it amy be the carbs...

anyone have their maps available and willing to share?

email them to me at carlopalmas@yahoo.com

Thanks!
Carlo
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

Default Ducati Kokusan map should work well w a nonmodded 750.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
carlopalmas

Post by carlopalmas »

Very happy day indeed.
Months after the ignition swap to the ignitech system, moving to Italy, repatriating the Ducati etc....
I found a local mechanic who happens to also run a race team and loves carburated vintage bikes.
Picked up the 750 Sport from him tonight, I've never know this bike to have so much power and be so smooth thru the rpm range.
This motorcycle is reborn, better, faster, stronger.
So the modes..
K&N air filter
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Ignitech CPU
907ie map loaded in the CPU (thanks Jeff B - it worked great)
Not sure what he (the mechanic) did with the plugs but he fiddled there for about an hour with the horizontal cylinder. I remember hearing that some guys would put a otter plug in the horizontal cycinder because it tended to run cooler than the vert.

Oh... the mechanic did a really great job of rebuilding and tuning the carbs (weber). Claudio Saddi (in Cagliari Italy)

Ciao!
Carlo
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

Whats the story with these digiplex ignitions? Mine has obviously been repaired at some stage . Do they all have the same fault ? What are the symptoms ? do they die totally or does the advance stop working ? Is there a new after market one available ? I plan to keep my paso for ever ( just got out of hospital after a 4 month stay ...... taken out by a geriatric in a cage whilst on the SS ) and any how Im thinking a clever man would have a spare module , or at least a circut diagram .
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

My understanding is the output transistors burn up their connections. Symptoms are dropped cylinders and no start. If you are inclined they can be rewired or replaced. If you are not they can be repaired by most shops that do such work. We have a place here in the states does it with a lifetiime garanty for about 300US. If I recall there is a faq on it in the Paso section. The outfit here that repairs is found here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT

This sort of cdi type ignition needs good electical connections on both sides at all times or overcurrent takes out the transistors
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

Ignitech CPU
907ie map loaded in the CPU
Would be interesting to see.
907 has 16x16 ignition points, how did he reduce them to the 10 Ignitech has?
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
carlopalmas

Post by carlopalmas »

I'll look up the pics on my 'puter... but in a nutshell the guys a Ignitech gave me a mapping... and just becaust there are 16 contacts it doesn't mean they all get used... i think it was only about 4 of the one's on my 750 Sport that were actually used.

Making the swap got my bike running again... love riding it here in Sardegna.

Oh.. and the timing... stupid me didn't bother looking on the inside of the body work where it tells you 6 degrees at idle speed of 1150 rpm

Looking for pics now!
Carlo