Bought 750SS last night!!

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
injected
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Bought 750SS last night!!

Post by injected »

jetboy wrote:a 600ss race bike? I had heard that they really did not deliver on the HP ~ what have you done to it?

its a cool looking bike though. id be interested in getting one just for the novelty, im not sure - did they ever even import them to the US? ive never seen one in person.
The 600 was never exported to the US, and the race series over here is only for the 583cc Monster/SS with very tight controls on engine, suspension and other mods. Single make/model street tyre too, with no wets or warmers. Only about 51bhp, but everyone else is the same so it makes for fun low-cost racing. There's a separate class for the later 620 injected bikes.

Btw, the ally SS swingarm is easily recognised as it has the internal chain tension adjusters. The steel swingarm has them at the back of the swingarm.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: Bought 750SS last night!!

Post by ducinthebay »

While the aluminum swingarm is lighter by a pound or so, it is also prone to cracking at the pinch bolt for the swing axle on the chain side. If you find a steel swingarm on a 900ss, that is probably why. Never seen a steel one fail, seen lots of aluminim ones fail.

The 750 Sport had similar problems. I've seen several with cracks in the swingarms. My bike lost its swingarm when the previous owner didn't pay attention to the sprocket bolts on the rear wheel, and they sawed through the swingarm.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.