discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
alf259

Post by alf259 »

Hi all,

I've been watching and reading the posts for a few years now and finally decided to join the forum. I bought a 1988 750 Sport about two years ago with 60,000 km on the clock. Got it for $6000 (AU) with some spares - fuel tank, speedo cable, original pipes, 888 race pipes and a two-into-one exhaust system. I'm quite sure that it's been raced! The Webers seem to have been jetted for the 2-into-1 and it's definitely a race pipe. Runs quite rich under 4K, but fantastic over 6K. Did the 17" conversion over the summer using wheels off what I think was a late 90s Monster (single front disc). Rear went straight on, front was slightly different story. Already had the M1R forks with which I'm quite happy. Front was not as drastic as I first imagined. Made bushings/spacers to centre the wheel using stainless steel, and made a simple yet effective speedo adapter from aluminium. Here are a couple of pics. I'll post more info on modifications in the future if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Alf

ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: New Member

Post by ducinthebay »

Alf,
Welcome, and nice bike.
I'm assuming you are in Australia.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

Any info from subscrivers is wellcome! (and pics too :lol: )

Do you feel strong enough a single brake disk?
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
alf259

Post by alf259 »

Hi Nicola,

I have been out for a couple of rides since doing the conversion and the single 320mm disc with the 4 pot calipers feels at least as effective as the original twin 280mm setup. I like to go fast, but I set myself up for the corners without having to brake really hard (not racing!). Later model 750 SS and Monsters had this setup so I guess theoretically there should be no problem. On a track it might be a different story though.

I have considered converting to twin 320 discs, good second hand ones are always available on ebay. I have also considered adapting the 280 mm discs to the wheel, but since I don't have anybody to machine the adapters for me it would actually cost me more to have the adapters made than to buy second hand disc and caliper. A guy from the Netherlands had a kit for sale for the Paso, including the wheels, disc adapters front and back, modified speedo drive and nuts and bolts. He quoted me 250 Euro just for the front adapters. If somebody set up a CNC to make a run of these they may be a reasonable price.

Cheers,

Alf
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

I was just thinking that if you really have a monster rim, yuo just need to rremove the small cover to put the second brake disc and install another caliper, with a 16 mm main pump instead of the smaller one (15mm paso's OEM and 13mm monster OEM) :thumbup:
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(