Tire recommendation on 17"?

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Manxman

Tire recommendation on 17"?

Post by Manxman »

Hi guys,
for those of you who have switched already to 17", what is your recommendation for tires on this rims? I am looking for a "alrounder".
The problem is, that here in germany the socalled "TÜV" (technical inspection) need to approve the conversion. This approval then includes that I am bound to that set of tires (dimension/producer) which was mounted during the inspection. To switch again to another producer means that I have to go again to the TÜV....
YOU ARE LUCKY IF YOU DON´T NEED THIS CRAP....

So what are your experiences with tires?
I can give a report of my conversion later. For saving money (and work), I left the original fork and also the 280 disks, cause I have the full floating disks bought not long ago, and they work fine...

Thank you in advance!
Cheers
Felix
alf259

Re: Tire recommendation on 17"?

Post by alf259 »

Hi Felix,

I recently did a 17" conversion using wheels from a Monster (I think). The front is 3.5 x 17 and the back is 4.5 x 17. The wheels came fitted with brand new tyres (bonus!!), discs, sprocket/carrier and calipers. I have had limited time on the tyres, but find them very confidence inspiring. The front is 120/60 17 and the back is 160/60 17, Bridgestone BT59. I don't know how long they will last, I only ride maybe once every two weeks, about 150-200km. In Australia we don't have the same problems you have in Germany. We can fit any tyre we want, but I would probably stick to the standard sizes given above. Are you sure that your have to go through the inspection even if you stick to the same sizes?

I fitted the single disc and caliper which came with the wheel and adapted the caliper to the M1R fork. I would be interested in details of how you fitted the original discs to the newer wheel because I also have full floating 280 mm discs on the original wheels which are in great condition. I don't brake really hard and the old F8 calipers were quite good for my riding style. Of course I could get another Goldline caliper (R) and have really good brakes.

Cheers,
Alf (Gladstone, Australia)
Manxman

Post by Manxman »

Hi Alf,
thank you for the comment!
Are the BT59 "recent" tires? I do not find ´em on the BT website...maybe named different in Europe?

For installing the 280 disks you need adaptors, which need to be machined from someone with access/working at a workshop. I can send you a drawing, but it is not a CAD-document (I have used powerpoint).
Will shoot a picture later and post it here.

The TÜV guy said, they are testing the converted bike with exactley this set of tires ("extensive" testdrive) and this is then written down in the techn. paper, together with the manufacturer. Changing it, would mean to leave the legal ground not considering it or go to TÜV again and get the same "approval" again. :banghead:

MAYBE it is possible to find a TÜV guy who does not care about it and will put down only the dimension. But thats something I cannot count on (or it will cost me again some 100bucks..).

What number of teeth you use on the sprocket?

Felix
alf259

Post by alf259 »

Sorry,
BT56
Cheers,
Alf
alf259

Post by alf259 »

Hi again,
I use 15/39 with the new setup. It feels identical to the original 15/37 with the 16" wheels. With the 120/60 17 front tyre the speedo is close enough to correct (only 2.5% change). That is, 100 on the speedo = 102.5 actual.
Cheers,
Alf
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Manxman wrote:The problem is, that here in germany the socalled "TÜV" (technical inspection) need to approve the conversion. This approval then includes that I am bound to that set of tires (dimension/producer) which was mounted during the inspection. To switch again to another producer means that I have to go again to the TÜV....
YOU ARE LUCKY IF YOU DON´T NEED THIS CRAP....
All it's matter of points of view!
We in Italy have no chance to get approved any modification from the omologation fiche by our "TUV" (Motorizzazione Civile).
So, many people here go to Germany to get approved the modifications by the TUV!!!
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

I am running a 120/70 on the front and a 170/60 on the back. I have 3.5 rim on the front, and a 5.5 on the back. While I could fit a 180 tire, the 170 is plenty of tire, and has a better profile that makes the steering just a little bit quicker. If I ever find a white 4.5 rim, I will switch and go with a 160 rear tire.

I have used Sport Touring tires in the past. In general, they warm up quicker, and have plenty of performance for the Sport, and for me. Many ST tires are basically the same as their sport tire brothers, but with thicker tread. If your tires age before you wear them out, go with sport tires. Dunlop 208 is a common favorite, but I prefer the Pirelli Diablos. The new Pirelli Rosso is getting very good reviews, and long life. Another good ST tire is the Avon Storm. They all have a lot more grip than the old Michelins did, so you really can't go wrong.

Manxman, Nice machining work on your bike. I don't quite understand why you have the adapter around the axle though. Did you get wheels with 20mm I.D. or 17mm I.D.?

I feel sorry for you guys that need to pass safety inspections. It makes it very difficult to own an old bike or car, but I think that is part of why they do it. I think Japan is worse though.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Manxman

Post by Manxman »

Ducinthebay, thanks for the comment.
On the front wheel is a bearing mounted with 20mm ID. So the easiest thing was a new pivot.
I have a 4,5" rim on the back, the conversion is not a big deal. With the 160 tires, chain line fits perfectley.

I guess every new tire will have more grip than the old Michelin :mrgreen:

@persempre907: Does that mean, the german TUV can make inspection/modification of the papers of a bike, which is registred in Italy?? If so, thats an positive aspect of the European Union... :thumbup:

Ciao
Felix
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

ducinthebay wrote:@persempre907: Does that mean, the german TUV can make inspection/modification of the papers of a bike, which is registred in Italy?? If so, thats an positive aspect of the European Union...
Yes, it's so.
Even if the laws of the UE countries are different, every country musts to acknowledge the papers of another one.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019