Closing rocker arm installtion

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Mustang505
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Closing rocker arm installtion

Post by Mustang505 »

Hi Guys,
who has refitted the closing rocker arm (the one that is spring loaded) back into the head? If anyone has let me know how you did it. Manual calls up a special tool but I can not find it any where here (New Zealand) or anywhere on the net. You have to some how place the rocker in the head under resistance from this spring and at the same time fit the rocker arm with shims!!! To say it's a $#@%ing difficult job is an understatement. Anyone?
Cheers
Clive
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Closing rocker arm installtion

Post by paso750 »

http://cgi.ebay.de/DUCATI-Werkzeug-Kipp ... 240%3A1318

and this looks like the second tool
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ducati-B ... ccessories

Isn`t there a Duc shop were you could ty to lend one for a security deposit ?
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

Just tie the spring w a ziptie, slide all on and cut zip,
voila; all in place! :thumbup:
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

So, mustang, any progress?
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
blaster

Post by blaster »

HI,
First off I must say that tamburinifan's use of a ziptie works better then my factory tool. Thanks tamburinifan. Now the installation isn't as hard as you think. the heads do not have to come off to do this. In fact you don't have to pull the motor to get the rear head off either, just remove the front engine bolts,loosen the rear bolt, remove or loosen the items in the way(exh,airbox,chain,etc)and lower the front of the engine with a jack.A secure bike stand is required. Now rest the valve on top of the piston(don't wedge it against the piston). this is a good time to check the valve seals. the exhaust valve seal is the one to check closely.After removing the belts and the cam bearing assembly(watchout for the camshaft shim),the four rocker shafts are exposed. on their ends are 6x1 threaded holes for the removal tool.these shafts have a interference fit but usually the shafts are loose enough to just run a bolt with a big washer on the end into it and pull. if not, use a socket or piece of pipe for a puller. Watchout for the shims. Now,if there is nothing wrong with the rocker arm,you want to check for too much side play and if the valve stem is centered in the rocker arm fork. Reinstall the arm and shims using the shaft if it was loose in the bore.If not,anything close to the same size will do. Ducati doesn't give a spec for sideplay so I use about .003"in. Do not run zero clearance,the shims will dig into the head. The shims are different thickness so mix and match to get the best result. I have found ss steel shims in surplus shops that work very well if ducati can't supply. Oh, I don't think you have to romove the cam to do this either. Now all you have to do is ziptie the spring onto the rocker arm,use a little assembly grease to hold the shims in place(this can be a pain sometimes) and reassemble whatever you removed and your done. I hope i didn't miss anything,good luck. Blaster
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

Ducati doesn't give a spec for sideplay so I use about .003"in. Do not run zero clearance,the shims will dig into the head.
I used 0,05-0,08 mm & all seems well after +8000 km`s.

Very simple tools for nothing :mrgreen: :

Rocker shaft puller:

Rocker shaft dummy, just a little thinner than 6mm, f shimming:
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Mustang505
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Post by Mustang505 »

Thanks Gert
Yep worked out good, I've been busy rebuilding the front end (steering, front shocks - see new post and front wheel) so only got back to the motor last night. I created a rocker arm removal tool very similar to yours and the dummy arm. Thanks for your help mate.
Cheers
Clive