1990 750 Sport Exhaust Headers

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
jsey

1990 750 Sport Exhaust Headers

Post by jsey »

Anybody happen to know if the exhaust header for a 1990 Sport is the same as a 1993 900 SS. Probably not but thought I'd ask. I'm looking for a a used header in good shape
jsey

Re: 1990 750 Sport Exhaust Headers

Post by jsey »

I guess maybe the question should have been does the 1990 750 Sport share the same exhaust header as the 750 Paso?
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

do a search on exhaust headers,you will find what you need here
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

The headers from a 900ss are very similar to the the ones on the Sport, and will interchange. You will probably need to cut the back header just a little bit where it fits into the collector. (just a little bit) Added bonus is that the 900ss header size is bigger diamater tubing than the 750. The collector that they used on the Sport is the pattern that they ended up using on almost all the rest of the bikes after that with low exhausts. (SS, monster, ST....)

The Paso headers may fit, but were made specifially to fit around their swingarm which is dramatically different. Silencers don't interchange, even though they look the same.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
blaster

Post by blaster »

i got a header from ,i think, a 906. it will not fit the sport because of the swing arm. it does fit the motor but like ducinthebay said, the rear pipe needs to be shortened. i have eyeballed the 900ss pipe and i think it will clear the swing arm after shortening it but the silencers may not reach the intermediate pipes. i have been looking for a cheap 900ss header to see if it works. i will post the results if i ever find one. blaster
jsey

Post by jsey »

Thanks for all of the input everybody. How much larger is the 900 ss pipe from the Sport?
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

jsey, man from nowhere with no bike (pls update your profile). It could be that there`s no difference in diameter. I say could as for the Paso there`re 2 headers. A thinner one for the US and a larger one for Europe. Might be that for the Sport and Supersport it`s the same. Relevant are the header diameters from the header tubes coming from the cylinder. The header output diameters to the silencers are for sure the same on Sport and SS.
So before buying one better ask and measure your own otherwise you may end up with another header that is basically the same as your old one.

G.
jsey

Post by jsey »

Thanks Paso750,
This is what's going on. I purchased the bike in New Hampshire several years ago. It came with a stock header and Cobra F1 slipons that were pretty banged up. I then found a complete Ferracci system which is presently on the bike and then recently purchase a relatively new set of Cobras which I prefer to use, however, the original headers seem to be missing and the Cobras won't fit the 42 MM Ferracci system, thus the hunt is on. There seems to be plenty of 900 SS headers around but I don't know what they measure. The Cobras have an ID of 39.5 MM
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

guess someone with a 900SS header can do some measuring, but as said I`m sure the exit of the header is the same meaning your Cobras should fit. The diameter of the front tubes may differ.

For curiosity, can anyone owning a 750S parts catalogue check if there`re different headers listed (as for the 750 and 906 Paso) and if so what part numbers are they ?

G.

PS: your large diameter Ferracci system may be worth something. Sounds like a rare item.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

I have a 900SS exhaust system in the garage. I will measure it in the morning.

You are close! I'm near Poughkeepsie and I have a very good buddy looking to buy a 750 sport.
blaster

Post by blaster »

I have a 750 sport micro fisch and cagiva lists just one part number for the front head pipe and one part number for the rear short pipe. 57010061A for the front and 57110031A for the rear. FYI they do list three different sets of silencers. jsey, if you want to, we might be able to work out a trade/deal for your fbf system. my stock head pipe has no dents or holes in it. i would trade it as part of the deal. what do you think? i'm located in the chicago area. blaster
jsey

Post by jsey »

Just an update for everyones benefit. I purchased a very like new set of headers from a guy on E bay that had come off a 1995 900SS. They fit the 1990 Sport pefectly, however, because they came with the collars but without the split rings that hold them in, it could be that the mounting studs in the head are a bit too short to get a nut on. I'll know as soon as new set of split rings arrive. It depend on how high they are. One other note of interest I have a pair of Corbra F1's that came off a 900 and they fit the Sport with the 900 headers perfectly. I also a have a pair of Staintunes's that were on my 1992 851 that also fit the Sport. So it would seem that it's all interchangable. As for the Ferracci system that I have I am going to sell it. :shock:
jsey

Post by jsey »

To SC Slocum
I purchased the Sport for my girlfriend a few years back but she got cold feet so I may let it go this summer. It's pretty well sorted out. 36 mm Dellortos, original and Corbin seat, several exhaust sytems, and a bunch of other small stuff.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

My buddt, Ben just bought one in NC and picked it up this weekend.

Good luck getting it fully sorted and I hope to see you on the road.
blaster

Post by blaster »

jsey, how much do you want for the fbf system? i also could trade a set of brembo full floating disc brakes for the sport. they have about 10k miles on them. they are my second set. the first set i put about 85k miles on them so 10k miles on them isn't a problem. i have 17's on the bike now so i don't heed the disc's any more. let me know. blaster