Cush Drive Bearing Help

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
modteepee
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Cush Drive Bearing Help

Post by modteepee »

Can someone please walk me step by step on how to get the bearings out of a 1990 Sport cush drive? I've tried to press the center piece through the exposed bearing with no success.
The two black shiny things, one on each side...do they retain anything? what is thier purpose?

Thanks in advance.
Bob Burgio
'90 750 Sport
Boston USA burbs. :banghead:
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Cush Drive Bearing Help

Post by paso750 »

Bob,

not sure which 2 shiny things you mean. In the sprocket carrier there is a black spacer, a bearing, a black spacer, a bearing, a black spacer. (look at Tav.22 of the Paso750 parts catalogue).
It looks like this:

front:
rear:

you press the bearings out from rear to front. That black bush seen on the lower pic remains in place.

G.

PS: add your location to your profile,
modteepee
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by modteepee »

Great info and fast too! As I see it now, I should be pressing the whole bearing / spacer package out and then remove each bearing from the assembly. Is that correct??
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

you were lucky I was cleaning the garage today and had the parts on the table :)

Remove both outer black spacers (they are slightly stuck in the bearings). Then ie using an old small wrench socket drive out one bearing and the middle spacer. If those are removed the inner bearing shouldn`t be that hard to remove. Remember they will only come out towrds the front side.
I guess getting them out one by one is easier than trying to press out both at once.