suddenly won't start.

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
jetboy
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

suddenly won't start.

Post by jetboy »

This just happened so I have not gone through everything yet, but figured id ask if there was some interesting thoughts on the starting system. its been converted to dellorto carbs.

the story is: running alright, possibly not the best mixture, but always started right up -

I parked it after a short ride, and then I replaced the speedometer. after replacing I went to start her up to see if all was well, and she wont start. I checked the plugs, am getting spark, I changed the plugs just to be sure-- nice blue spark in both. I charged the battery in case it was not pushing enough amps-no help. it does have gas, and gas is making it into the carbs- i can hear the pump going- and when i removed a fuel line there seemed to be plenty of gas I have not yet tried starter fluid, i probably will do that later today.

I guess the question is, anything else it could be? I have spark, gas, and compression-- but something in the mix is suddenly off. I suspect it might be my choke- ive had to mess with those cables a bit recently and I noticed that the PO had it set so that the cylinders are not at 100% "in" even when the choke is not engaged. its more like 80%. I am not sure if this is supposed to be this way.

any grand wisdom?

-j
jetboy

Re: suddenly won't start.

Post by jetboy »

started with starter fluid. - i think it might have also been because it was raining on the ride - i realized that the air filters (foam) were damp. usually uni foam filters are pretty good with being wet but it must be a factor.

still, wondering about adjusting the choke/start up valves on dellortos--

waited a bit for her to cool-- then tried again, started right up no problem. must have been the wet. MAN what a rush to ride that bike, i took her out for a little italian tuning and a petro stop, and when i was pulling out of the station a gsxr bombed by and gave me a friendly wave-- a pop and a start and i was right up next to him - and really LOUD about it as well''' id like to think i could match him, but i suspect (actually i know) if he tried at all id be long gone. but it felt good for the moment.

awesome

BTW: speedo ratio is pretty close to 2:1 - i havnt done any conclusive testing but its in the range that some fine tuning with a ratio adjuster could match it up-
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: suddenly won't start.

Post by ducinthebay »

Josh,
As always, I recomend putting rubber elbows on those carbs to put nice big air cleaners up above the engine in the huge space where the old airbox once lived. Many benefits, no down side. I got mine from here. http://store.airflo.com/rubber-hoses---clamps.html

with those Dellortos, I find my bike to be a bit fickle to start at times. Too much choke, or not enough, and it just won't go.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.