Spark Plug Wires.... need advice

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
carlopalmas
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Spark Plug Wires.... need advice

Post by carlopalmas »

Hi!
Just got my 1990 750 Sport running (again).
The wonderful Digiplex 2S gave out and I decided to go for the ignitech TCIP4 unit... very sweet.
New problem has propped up; the plug wire on the vertical cylinder doesn't want to stay on; nuts too... the bike will actually run on 1 cylinder.
Anyway... can the wires be replaced without replacing the coils? I'm hesitant to just go and twist and see if they unscrew.

Thanks!
Carlo
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Spark Plug Wires.... need advice

Post by ducinthebay »

No, the high tension leads do not simply screw in to the coils. They are bonded in, or overmolded, or something. I can't figure out how they made them, but I do know that the wires can not be replaced. I hate to tell you, but you are now in the market for a new set of coils. Don't feel too bad though, coils do wear out over time, and 20 years is certainly a reasonable time to replace them.

The cheap way is to get a set of stock coils from another Ducati or some other brand off of e-bay. Make sure the resistance matches the new nifty box you got. The second option is to get the hi-perf coils. Dyna coils. get them at Ca. Cycle works http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
carlopalmas

Post by carlopalmas »

Looks like I'mgoing to bid on a set of coils to a Monster that I saw on line.
I did however discover that the end caps to the plug wires DO screw off. I'm going to go look for a set of those at the Honda dealership today.

Thanks!

Carlo
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

New problem has propped up; the plug wire on the vertical cylinder doesn't want to stay on; nuts too... the bike will actually run on 1 cylinder.
Cap is simply pushed in, splitting the wire in center & hold in place simply by a ziptie on the one I`ve worked with.
Maybe just cut an inch of cable and try to refit?
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Carlo,
I may have misunderstood your original question, so let me clarify. The high tension lead is not removable from the coil. However, the sparkplug cap can be changed on the wire. As a mater of fact, it will do you well to cut off an inch of wire and screw the plug cap back on to get a fresh connection. The spark plug caps have resistors in them to keep the electronics happy. It is recomended to keep those in the system.

Hope that helps. Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

For the price of the coils at cacycles works you can get the coils,bracket and wires from Bevel Heaven in either 3 or 5 ohm both will work on a Paso. Personally I throw as much biz as I can to Bevel Heaven.
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie