Ducati Belt-Drive Two-Valve Twins by Ian Falloon

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Mustang505
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Ducati Belt-Drive Two-Valve Twins by Ian Falloon

Post by Mustang505 »

Hi All
does anyone on this site have this book?? Seems rare as hens teeth!!
If anyone does, is it worth the $US 362.00 (only new copy i found) on Amazon.com?

Thanks
Clive
Cheers
Clive
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Ducati Belt-Drive Two-Valve Twins by Ian Falloon

Post by paso750 »

I have it. It`s a nice and interesting book. Is it worth that amount of money, no.
I paid around €35 a few years ago (when it still was available) and only a little time ago I had posted a link to an ebay auction in which someone was selling one for GBP15. Noone bid for days, meanwhile it was sold.
The book gives a lot of technical details, still from something naming itself restoration guide I guess I would have expected something a bit more different (more towards a restoration & repair manual or so)

G.
btlofrum

Post by btlofrum »

Keep your eyes out on eBay; it will generally show up and top out under $100. Still a bit much, but there's a good ten pages on the Sport (and 89-90 Supersports), which is much more than in Falloon's Standard Catalog. There are also some decent closeup photos.

If you don't own the Standard Catalog of Ducati Motorcycles (1946 -2005), it's definitely worth picking up. Still currently published, so probably about $30.

One of the Cycle World compilations (the one that covers '89 & '90) has three or four articles on the Sport. Interesting to read. I don't think this one is still published, so it might be harder to find.

Ben
Mustang505

Post by Mustang505 »

Hi Ben
there is one currently on e-bay - $210.00!!!
Yes I do have the Standard Catalog of Ducati Motorcycles (1946 -2005).

G
how difficult would be it be to scan the book you have and put here under techncial manuals??

Clive
Cheers
Clive
btlofrum

Post by btlofrum »

I should also note that it's a "restoration" guide--so it lists specifications about the bikes, differentiating the various models/years. It's not a repair manual. Mick Walker has one that's similar, and is currently published. If you're looking for a repair guide, this isn't the right book for you.

There's one on Half.com for only $179! And one on Amazon for $145.

I'm not willing to photocopy the book; I don't want to destroy the binding. It's also copyrighted material.

I have the owner's manual scanned on my website, and Steve has the shop manual scanned on his website (bevelheaven.com). I'd be happy to host the exploded diagrams, if anyone has them as a pdf (or I can scan them if someone has paper or fiche).

Ben
Mustang505

Post by Mustang505 »

Hi Ben
the one on Amazon for $145 is used which i tried to buy but Amazon.com won't send to New Zealand - not sure why. I've looked at Mick Walkers and did not think it was up to much. I have bought the workshop manual here in NZ (lots of errors and gaps - not sure how the Ducati techs got through with that lot!! Maybe the Italian is better! Try strip and rebuild the engine according to this manual!)
I'm complelty rebuilding my 750 and fitting quite a few non sport but Ducati parts so no I'm not looking for a repair manual.
Cheers
Cheers
Clive
btlofrum

Post by btlofrum »

I think the Amazon one's a private seller, and some people don't like the hassle of shipping internationally (or are afraid of being ripped off). I bought mine some years back (used, but good condition), and I don't remember the prices being nearly this inflated.

A workshop manual came with my bike. And I think I have copies for each of my bikes (plus had for bikes I no longer have)...none of them are worth a lot, and none have ever helped me much. The exploded diagrams are worth their weight in gold, though, so I'm very disappointed I don't have for this bike.

If there's a specific question you need answered, let me know. I can pore over the book this weekend--and I have others, too, that may have something of value. It was a short-lived model (as you know) so there's not much written in any of the books. And Falloon and Walker both plagiarize themselves...guess that's the only way to be so prolific.

Good luck with your project.

Ben
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

Try your local library and decide for yourself what it is worth,If they don't have a copy request they get one for you.
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

That book is no more printed for many years (a little bit as for Michelins :,( :,( :,( :,( ).
So, you has to be lucky enough to find someone forgotten on some bookshop's shelf...
I would have another new one somewhere.
If some guy here was interested, PM me.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019