I have a 1990 750 sport, what are the ods?Now lets get tires

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
turbos1w

I have a 1990 750 sport, what are the ods?Now lets get tires

Post by turbos1w »

As we all know the tires suck! I have read posts about wheel changes, rim welding and so on but i have yet to see a post that takes the problem by the horns. I feel that while our bikes are not going anywhere any time soon and we plan on keeping them, riding them and showing them we should contact the tire makers themselves. I see it like this, if we all get a petition signed in show of support for said tire company they might just make us some. I know it sounds far fetched but we have a BLACK president so all things are possible right? Lets do the math, how many Paso's were made total? How many 750 sports were made and what other bikes fall into our delima?
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: I have a 1990 750 sport, what are the ods?Now lets get tires

Post by ducinthebay »

While 16's were the rage for a few years back then, how many other bikes had the same size tires? I think Honda jumped in and Suzuki did for a bit. I don't think Yamaha ever did go with 16's. If we can find the other bikes that need the same tire, we can probably find some more owners. 20 year old bikes don't get much respect from tire makers, but if you can find the other riders in need, you might have something there.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

That topic has already been discussed.
If I well remember, the only bikes which fitted those tires were: Ducati F1, Paso, Sport, early 851 and a Bimota.
Unfortunately, the numbers are very low.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

this tire thing , to me is just a big piss off , I think there is a bit of bullshit going on here . A very quick look at Falloon's bible tells me there were 9733 paso's and sports and 400ss ( 461 ) made, Now I dunno what percentage of these have not been smashed off the road by errant car drivers :P but I seem to remember mention of some tire co ( poss in germany ) reputed to have said that if they could be assured of a demand of 300 tires they could do it ( might be wrong ) 9733 ............ 300 seems like a no brainer to me , I live in Nelson NZ , a town of probly 100k people ( that is a real gestimate ) but there are at least 6 pasos and a couple of sports that I have seen here. I dont think the other 292 would be that hard to find in the rest of the world . I have previously imported tires from overseas and it wasnt hard so distribution is not an issue should someone decide to make a few ( I bought up heaps of them from all over the place when I heard the bad news about supply )But I cant be arsed with it all ! Ill probly use a few tires b4 I get round to fitting 17's but I will keep some as ( one day ) I want to buy a sport and I want to be able to return them to original if I want AND they simply dont look right on 17's
BUT as long as my arse points down I will never buy another michelin tire
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

McTool, its simple supply and demand. If there isn't enough demand, there will be no supply.
I have two bikes, an ST4 and a Sport. I put 1-2 sets of tires on the ST every year, because I wear them out. I just replace the tire on the Sport, and it was 3 years old. While I think I ride the Sport alot, I just don't put the miles on it like I do the ST. So, if I'm making tires, which bike am I going to support?

The switch to 17" should cost you about $500 (minus tires)
Then you get all the newest rubber to choose from. With all the advances in motorcycle tires over the past years, do you really want a 20 year old design?

From the tire mfg. position, once they qualify that tire to TUV, they can not change the design. If they do change the design, then they have to re-qualify the tire. They had a 20 year old design that they couldn't change, and it would cost too much to requalify, and they weren't just selling enough of them. End of the line. Tire companies, like any other company, is a business to make money, not to coddle collectors of odd 20 year old motorcycles, unless there is some money in it. All companies try to trim down their catalog, as it cost a good bit to keep a product on the books. And since a limited production model was the only user of the tire, and 20 year old bikes are either not running, or don't get ridden much, the demand has been tapering off for years. I'm surprised they ever made the tire at all.

Equal blame needs to be directed at Ducati for jumping onto the fashionable band wagon and putting on 16" wheels when the writing was already on the wall that 17" was coming. Then, they chose a monumentally odd size that no other bikes used. Such is the way of fashion/design. Some of your choices fade with the season, and some don't. Just another example of what it means to ride an Italian bike from the 80's.

Now, quit winjing about our unfortunate lot in life and support the economy by buying some 17" wheels.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

Ha Ha ha , yeah your right , but 20 years aint much ,I have socks and undies that old ! and anyhow I like those fat little donuts .When I first got the paso I thought that it was by far the best handling bike i'd ridden ( once I'd got the knack ) and put most of that down to the tires, then I got the SS and thought that was best by far ( it is going to be interesting getting back on the paso ) must have been those pirelli diablos (the last pirelli I bought was a phantom ) so in a way I am looking forward to fitting 17's as much to see how it handles as to solve the tire issue ( still aint buyin no mitshitlins tho :P ).
We are ( thank god: or whoever )a bit behind it here in NZ as far as tires and exhausts , I can put whatever I want on the bike as long as its got more than the min tread depth or its not to noisey though I gotta say that both the cycleworks stainless cans on the paso and the stillmotor spaghetti / carbon ex on the SS were both much louder than the standard stuff ..... and no one ever gave a shit at testing time ( but try and get a noisey car thru ....... uh uh ) ha ha :lol: just remembered ... the testing guy nearly rode the paso into the pit once ......geuss he didnt like the clutch either.... shoulda seen his face :lol: :lol: so we are a bit lucky in that respect , but Im sure its comming
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
snakey
year: 1989

Post by snakey »

I have just fitted some 'new' tires, although a higher profile they make the bike a bit quicker cornering, the front just fits though you will smell burning rubber for a few miles, till it stops rubbing on the front mudguard (fender) they are Avon Azzaro's :-
F:- 130/60 -16 (AV45)
R:- 150/80 -16 (AV46)

They make the bike a bit higher off the ground and took a little getting used to but they have kept it on the road, in fact i am useing it as much , if not more than my monster now.

Pete
whitepaso
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by whitepaso »

snakey wrote:I have just fitted some 'new' tires, although a higher profile they make the bike a bit quicker cornering, the front just fits though you will smell burning rubber for a few miles, till it stops rubbing on the front mudguard (fender) they are Avon Azzaro's :-
F:- 130/60 -16 (AV45)
R:- 150/80 -16 (AV46)

They make the bike a bit higher off the ground and took a little getting used to but they have kept it on the road, in fact i am useing it as much , if not more than my monster now.
This is the best news I've read here in quite some time regarding our much-hated topic of 16 inch tires. I just got off Avon's website and I believe you made a minor error though; the 130/60-16 is actually a 130/70-16 - hence the burning rubber from the taller 70 aspect ratio. I'll be reading reviews next to see how riders like them.

Maybe this is the key tire for us????

I have to say I just don't have it in me to convert to 17 inch wheels; too many bikes in my stable to keep up with as it is without incurring a design/fabrication exercise. God knows my 25 year old Husqvarna is such a pitiful, needy "child."
snakey

Post by snakey »

sorry about that it is the 130/70 -16 on the front - I did have a small mudflap on the back of the front mudgard but that had to come off as the small bolts would have cut into the tyre, it is that close.
pete.
randtcastell
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by randtcastell »

i wonder if choosing a 150/80 16 rear tire rather than a 180/60 16 would be the best choice. i believe a 180/60 aspect ratio would give a smaller tire height and thus a reduced overall diameter. 150/80 yields a 120 height, whereas a 180/60 yields a 108 height. this seems like a big difference in values. is it maybe better to let the chain rub the tire, rather that have the tire contact the swingarm? thank all for your indulgence and for your collective wisdom. best, randy.
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Tire height / cirumference / diameter, is not the same for every tire of similar specified dimensions. Check with the manufactures specs to be sure.
From the Avon site.
Azaro Sport Touring AV45-ST (front) 130/70ZR16 (61W) fits rims 3.50 - 4.00 Diameter 589mm / 23.2 in.
Azaro-Sport Touring (rear) 150/80ZR16 (71W) fits rims 3.50 - 4.25 Diameter 644mm / 25.4in.

Anyone have any comment on their other line of tires?
VP2 Sport (front) 130/70ZR16 (61W) Fits rims 3.50 - 4.00 Diameter 588mm/ 23.1 in.

Anyone have a stock Michelin that can tell us what the Diameter is of the original tire?

I used the AV45 on my ST4 and liked them alot. Good grip, decent life, and made it fairly quick steering.
I also had them on my Sport for a while with my first 17" conversion.
Then they switched to the Storms, and I don't like them near as much.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
snakey

Post by snakey »

randtcastell wrote:i wonder if choosing a 150/80 16 rear tire rather than a 180/60 16 would be the best choice. i believe a 180/60 aspect ratio would give a smaller tire height and thus a reduced overall diameter. 150/80 yields a 120 height, whereas a 180/60 yields a 108 height. this seems like a big difference in values. is it maybe better to let the chain rub the tire, rather that have the tire contact the swingarm? thank all for your indulgence and for your collective wisdom. best, randy.
I found on mine that the were no clearance problems with the rear, except for getting it past the rear mudguard -that took a bit of time, but once in there was no 'rubbing' issues with the chain or swinging arm.
Pete.
turbos1w

Post by turbos1w »

I have a stock 160 60 16 Mich. and I will try to messure it.