750 Sport Pre Purchase advice please

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
v2barn
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

750 Sport Pre Purchase advice please

Post by v2barn »

I have arranged to view an 89 750 Sport tomorrow with a view to buying it.
I have been buying bikes for long enough to know what to look for / test before handing over my hard earned, BUT, you can't beat the knowledge of an owner of said motorcycle, SO, any particular advice you Sport owners would offer a potential owner?
Where do the dreaded cracks appear in the alloy swing arm exactly?
I can tell you it has Dellorto 40's fitted which i understand are not ideal and it has after market silencers fitted, other than that it is described as in reasonable nick with almost new tyres and is otherwise standard.
Thank you Jon
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Re: 750 Sport Pre Purchase advice please

Post by jcslocum »

Jon,

The 40's are better than the Weber but a bit large for a 750.

I'm no Sport expert so Others will chime in. Look thru the forum and you will see many posts.
v2barn

Post by v2barn »

Thanks, i have been reading some old posts so i am a lot wiser now than i was, still it's to late.... i bought it any way :lol: is a 89 bike in red / silver. Bike is all there in reasonable condition but hasn't been run in a while, i bought it as a spares bike but is to good to break. On a quick tear down only major item of running gear missing is the regulator / rectifier, so that's the first thing on the spares list.
Good points - nearly new tyres, original owners manual with service history, original factory workshop manual (going to need it) all keys, tool kit, lots of work generally to do to make it 'nice' but think it will be worth doing.
Watch out for many newby type questions to come. Jon
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Make sure to change the belts ASAP. It's quite easy and will only take about an hour.
v2barn

Post by v2barn »

Hello Jon, Yes belts already on 'list' thanks, just did them on my 906 last week so i am in practice! the correct regulator / rectifier is bothering me a little bit; i have been in touch with the PO and he says if it hasn't got one it hadn't got one when he bought it - 5 years ago!! (he never did have it running) i would like to know what R/R replacement i should be buying as i have read lots on this forum about changing ignition systems and charging systems but not sure what the standard item is for my model (89 fitted with **san denki?? ignition units - sorry paper sticker torn - nissan??) i have the famous 2 yellow wires and a red floating in mid air under the seat with some real dodgy spade connectors. I can't find anything listed in the factory workshop manual for the original R/R or on this site - YET - still looking! - so much info :thumbup: cheers :beer: jon
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

Good job on throwing caution to the wind, and going with your impulse. Its a fun bike.
I have seen the swingarm crack on the sprocket side near the pivot, but also on the other side. Wipe it all down and you'll find the cracks it the have developed. Check the inside of the swingarm to see if the wheel sprocket bolts have backed out and sawed into the swingarm.

Rectifier / Regulator is stock and standard single phase for F-1 up to 99 SS/Monster. I see you found the mystery red wire. I have no idea why its in there, but its doesn't connect to anything. Bin the spade connectors and solder the yellow wires. Add a ground wire from the case of the R/R. Stock Ducati or Electrex will work fine for the 750, it doesn't have a very big alternator. Any single phase will do nicely. Airflow is important, and so are really good connections. Make a bigger ground cable from the battery. As always, clean up all the connectors and put some dielectric grease on them. Mine came to me in similar condition. I put in a stock regulator and its been rock steady ever since. Holds a charge for 6 months even if I forget to put it on the battery tender.

There have been some nice posts in the Paso sections on relay modifications, and several companies like Eastern Beaver make some nice relay kits.

Great to hear of another on the road to recovery, and soon back on the road.
If you lived closer, I would offer you a trade on those carbs. I have a set of 36's and I need a set of 40's for the 900 motor I'll be installing.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
v2barn

Post by v2barn »

Hello Ducinthebay, i have checked over the alloy swing arm (verlicchi) and pleased to say it looks good, nothing obvious even with hugger removed (bike looks better without it). I have given the bike a good 'once over' and i have to say i am quite pleased with it for the money i paid; that of course may change once i receive the new regulator / rectifier / battery and belts and try and fire it up, it has not run for 5 years so it will be an anxious time! in the meantime i am checking and cleaning everything including cleaning all the electrical connections. As for the famous red R/R wire, mine has a connector fitted to it so it seems it went somewhere on the old rectifier which as mentioned above was missing off the bike, any thoughts? bike has only done 13000 miles but has the dreaded flaky engine paint syndrome and the wheel under laquer fungus in places which i will sort in the future. Anyone know a source of original indicators for this model ? 3 out of 4 of mine are broken.
I will see how the engine performs (hopefully) on the 40's if as you suggest it's lungs are not big enough for them perhaps we could sort a trade, shipping shouldn't be that bad!!?? All the best Jon
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

For some odd reason, the alternator has a center tap that is red, and on my bike it was just taped off. I ran a wire to the R/R and connected it, and got almost no charge. I disconnected the wire, and the charge was right where it should be. The manual shows the wire too, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe they were thinking of a 3 phase charging system, but it just didn't get implemented. You need only to connect the two yellow wires from the alternator to the R/R, and of course the positive and negative to the battery, and the warning light.

Turn signals are a tough one, or at least the original ones. I have 3 turnsignals, and all of them are broken. I found some after market ones and are using those. I think signals from the SS or Monster would look OK, but that's a personal decision. Lots of options out there, and the new LED lights are really nice.

Glad to hear your swingarm is in good shape. its a good looking piece of kit, and very difficult to find another. Don't over torque the pinch bolts for the pivot. Use loctite on the bolt so it doesn't come out.

Your bike will run on the 40 Dellorto's, but the low end will suffer. It will be difficult to start, and ride through town, but the open road will feel good. Makes it dangerous for getting tickets cause it always wants to run faster than you should be riding. I'd be glad to make the swap.

Before you try to start it up, shoot a bit of motor oil into the spark plug holes to help seal the pistons. it helps in motors that haven't run for a bit.

Keep us posted. Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

I think they are the same indicators used on the F1 which are now UNOBTANIUM ;-)

I have 2 and need 2 so if you guys want to donate yours to my F1 resto I'd be glad to give them a home!

Me and my F1 at the track this past summer

v2barn

Post by v2barn »

Fantastic action shot Jon of you and your F1 stealth racer, bike looks amazingly small for a 750, which circuit were you at? are you running 16" wheels or are they 'normal' size on the F1. john
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

We were running at a new track in New jersey. NJMP which in South Jersey, maybe 120 miles from NYC. Those are the stock wheels 16/18 on street tires. It was only running on 1-1/2 cylinders that day. 65PSI on the Hor cyl and 185 in the Vert. Broken rings was the culprit. All fixed now and ready for another season after it warms up a bit here in NY.