Replacement Panels

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
dtm79

Replacement Panels

Post by dtm79 »

If folk are interested in panels for the 750 and others I have contact with a guy fairly local to me who makes or has made panels for the likes of Dave Kay and the MV's and several Uk Race teams .... In short the guys been going for a long time and makes panels either in white or can use the coloured gel coats etc etc .. he's forgot more about this sort of thing than most of us will ever no ... If there is enough interest I'll give him a call . As I.m sure most of you realise the cost comes in getting the moulds made from original panels ... the better the mould the better the panel ,also the moulds do have a life in terms of the number of pulls ... I'm guessing 6-10 sets would make it worth while ... Dale
carlopalmas
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: Replacement Panels

Post by carlopalmas »

I'm in.... let's get a price.

Carlo
dtm79

Post by dtm79 »

Cheers Carlo ... think were going to need a few on board .. last time I had work done the moulds cost me about £250.00 .... The guy is very good at his job ... people have to realise you need to make the mould to get the correct size panel out ... also it is possible tho mostly avoided to wreck the donor panels .. the original set I have are 100% so it is a risk .
Its also possible from the same mould to make either a light weight or heavy weight panel coloured or not .... Keep in touch and lets hope a few others come on board... when theres enough if everyone then throws in a deposit of say £10.00 -£20.00 ... I'll get it on the go ... Dale. Bit pushed for time I'll pm you in a bit
commotoed
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by commotoed »

are you talking standard oem weights or modern trackday/racer weights? I would love a lightweight set of fiberglass.........
eh
90' 750 Sport
97 Gsf1200 aka Ziptie
78' 900 GTS (bevel)
98' Gsf1200 bagger
86' GSXR712
dtm79

Post by dtm79 »

Hi there .. the way I've seen this work is that once the moulds are done you can specify how you want your panels ie lightweight .. carbon ...heavyweight .. coloured etc. I used to paint for a bike shop and spent many a happy refinishing panels prior to painting them ... thats how I got on terms with the f/glass guy. The biggest problem is the damage caused to the originals which despite all the polishing and waxing may be ruined ... I've also seen him having to brace original panels prior to taking the mould ... Best way to toughen up the lightweight panels is to lay in a sheet of carbon where any scrapes might happen .. this can and does save other damage ... All the Best dale