New owner with a few ??

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: New owner with a few ??

Post by higgy »

I doubt works well is those double bent intake tubes
Look just fine to me,plenty large enough in diameter to not be an issue,remember there is a bar of pressure filling them up constantly :thumbup:

If you look at current trends in ram air induction on higher end bikes the tubing is very small multi channel affairs. Also in the auto world with variable intake designs the channels are a lot smaller than the average person would think is needed. It is pretty ingenious the way some of the design accomplish an almost tripling of the tuned length with such a small volume of space required. jm2c :beer:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
JoKing
model: 750 Paso
year: 1992

Post by JoKing »

wow. I hope my 907 will be that great when i am ready...
92` Ducati 907 i.e. - ST3-Conversion --> Burned down with my barn
78` Ducati 900 SS - Bevel --> Sved her by risking my life
90` Cagiva Freccia C12R - Paso`s smaller sister --> Burned down with my barn
86` Ducati 750 Paso
96` Cagiva 750 AC Elefant
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

Love the exhaust. Looks really good on the Sport.

The intakes look just fine as long as they are larger than your throat. Indeed, they contain the fuel fog at low speeds making the bike much nicer to ride around town. I use 90 degree rubber elbows that are 50mm ID. The first bend in your system is certainly needed to get the filters to clear, but the second bend is debatable.

One part missing, or actually two, the rubber blocks between the frame and the tank. Same as old Bevelheads. You can get them from Bevel Heaven. Without them the back mounting tab on the tank flexes too much and will crack. I put two on each side just for good measure.

Great job overall.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
jr60
year: 1989

Post by jr60 »

Again cheers for the comments.

The intakes/filter pods came with the set of carbs but have never been fitted (besides a sort of rolling chassis (which had to be completely stripped due to the in competency of the previous owner/butcher) the bike came in a box of bits!), will see how she runs on them then change if needed.

The box of bits did not include the tank supports (I was going to use a set of ST ones I have as could not source the org, so thanks for the heads up on being the same as SS etc and have ordered some from Mdina (who also stock them here in the UK).

Infact I think that this is a ’88 bike, (although reg in UK in ’89 it came with km clocks so probably imported in ’89) as the 88 bikes did not have the tank supports fitted. The bike also came with the earlier type front sprocket (single bolt not retaining plate), although has two engine/frame spacers (one on either side as per parts dia), which may contradict what I have read about the later models having the spacers. Chain lines up perfectly so ??

PS anybody tell me if speedo drive is one part or is there a large backing tab washer as well fitted (have a part that looks like should be fitted to the drive left over in the box of bits!)

Johnny
'04 ST3
'92 888 Fogarty Corse Rep
'89 750 Sport
M900 Cafe Racer Project
900SS TT1 Project
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

All the speedo drives I have seen are one unit. Best to check that the tire/rim is centered in the forks as the speedo drive is the spacer that sets the location of the wheel to the forks. Use your finger as a gage between the tire and the forks, and its a difficult measurement, and close is good enough.

I bought a later model tank that had the back mounting area reinforced with an additional layer of sheetmetal. My stock tank has cracks in the flange, that are dangerously close to propagating to the bottom of the tank. Support is definitely needed.

I now think that all Sports had spacers between the frame and the engine, despite some earlier comment that it was a late model change. Has anyone actually seen a 750 Sport without the spacers between the engine and the frame?

Oh, and one last upgrade for your bike. Red Zip ties. The stock bike actually came with red cable ties for the wiring and hoses, etc. Of course you could throw in a green one now and then for accent.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
Mustang505
year: 1988

Post by Mustang505 »

Has anyone actually seen a 750 Sport without the spacers between the engine and the frame?
Mine is an '88 and never had these spacers - which is not to say they haven't been lost over time before i got it.
Cheers
Clive
jr60
year: 1989

Post by jr60 »

Well finally got the Sport finished and on the road, few niggles held things up (and working on other bikes!) ;

- getting carbs sorted and jetted, have ended up with 132.5 mains (140 too rich), and dynojet needles, perhaps a bit lean but moving needle jet position should sort it.

- forks were terrible - like a set a pogo sticks at the front, no damping at all! I stripped and rebuild them - nothing wrong, Ohlins agent did the same - still terrible, looks like the problem is with the bypass 'valve' on the forks - just does not work. Maxton will fit a set of modern cartridges to them - but cost is over £600 ! Ended up fitting a set of Hagon progressive springs and more reducing the air gap which makes for far stiffer front end (interestingly the Hagon (Wilber) springs are too long to fit with std preload spacer and too short without - ended up using a 40mm preload spacer in them - Hagon were no help and asked that I tell them what sized spacer I used!!)

On the road the wee bike handles pretty well - esp since fitted a nice set of Verlicchi competition clip-ons.

Cheers

Johnny
Attachments
IMG_4048s.jpg
IMG_4048s.jpg (252.7 KiB) Viewed 5317 times
IMG_4046s.jpg
IMG_4046s.jpg (255.16 KiB) Viewed 5317 times
IMG_4044s.jpg
IMG_4044s.jpg (231.64 KiB) Viewed 5317 times
'04 ST3
'92 888 Fogarty Corse Rep
'89 750 Sport
M900 Cafe Racer Project
900SS TT1 Project
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Always a few niggles to sort out. I don't think it ever really ends. But as long as you get a crowd around your bike at the next meet, you know you did good, and you surely should get an audience for that beauty. Nicely done. Lovely pipes.
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

paso750 wrote: PS: Are you one of those guys who spent hundreds of $$$ for a set of new old Michelins ? ;)
Black gold :P :lol: :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

Nicely done Johnny.I hope my project turns out as nice as yours (if I ever find some money to do a bit more on it :lol: ).

Cheers
Andrew