Tell me about my 750 Sport, please

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
kiwifruit
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Re: Tell me about my 750 Sport, please

Post by kiwifruit »

Bike is now going great!

Quirky starting procedure fixed by pulling kill switch apart and cleaning contacts. New reg / rec from electrosport fitted without a problem. All earths checked. Long 90 degree elbows between carbs and filters. We re routed the fuel lines with a T back to the tank only to find the pump has been removed from the tank so we put it back to how it was. Runs sweet right to empty. 40mm carbs are a laugh... doesn't idle without throttle input and runs rough in the first few thousand rpm but after that it's awesome! Hot cams come on and the sound is amazing.

Had a trackday yesterday, did 10 or so 20 min sessions. Great fun! New suspension is great. Tyres are acceptable, rear sidewall flex is noticeable and the profile means one runs out of tyre a bit soon. All good if you move your weight around. I'm sure they'll be more than enough on the road. Couple of pics show the bike at about max lean, any further and you're off the edge of the rubber:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1148430014 ... 6125780098
https://picasaweb.google.com/1148430014 ... 1089718178

This forum has been valuable, helping me learn about my bike. Thank you.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Did you verify you have full voltage at the coils ? If not and you have the so typical voltage drop there`s a chance to improve the rough running. If that`s done the next would be Dyna coils. ;)

G.
kiwifruit
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Post by kiwifruit »

Will check that, thanks! Reading up on the results people have had... sounds like it's worth doing.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I worked on a friend`s bike lately. He has Dynacoils and is happy with them as he had similar symptoms as you have. They helped. I measured voltage at the coils and it was around 9V only. Hence the original coils may have done the same if he had checked and cleaned the wiring/connections.

What I`m generally saying to everyone reading this is to restore things to their full functionality before doing any modification, else they won`t have full effect. The wiring mod is a good thing but one should still go through the whole electrics and do some cleaning.
Same when replacing a regulator/rectifier. The original units are crap but the reason for a defect can be a different one so instead of just replacing the defect part one should try to find the reason or history may repeat itself.

G.