Visit with Mr. Van Epps

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Visit with Mr. Van Epps

Post by ducinthebay »

i went to the motorcycle show in S.F. the week, and stopped by to look at the new Norton. Manning the booth, by himself, was Dan Van Epps, former CEO of Ducati No. America, now CEO of Norton N.A.

My friend introduced me, and mentioned that I had two 1990 750 Sports. Dan lit up. He mentioned that he loved that bike, and was personally involved in the development of it. I have since traded a few e-mails with him, and he has promised to send me some original brochures about the bike that he has in his personal stash.

When I get the brochures, I want to share them with you folks here. Send me a p/m if you are interested. I have no idea how many he will send, or when I will get them, but I might be able to give a few of you a Christmas present.

Are there any questions you have about the Sport you want me to ask him?

I asked why it has seat strap. He replied that was a U.S. DOT requirement at the time. either a grab rail, or seat strap. He also freely admitted that the 16" wheels were in vogue for only a few years, and everyone had their own theory why it was better, and the tire companies were the ones that pushed it mostly. I don't know why Ducati chose the sizes that they did though.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.