750 Sport restoration project

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: 750 Sport restoration project

Post by paso750 »

Are you skipping a valve clearance check?
I`d leave the crankshaft breather tank. It`s there for a reason. Putting a small K&N filter on the hose connection is better then removing it.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

paso750 wrote:Are you skipping a valve clearance check?
I`d leave the crankshaft breather tank. It`s there for a reason. Putting a small K&N filter on the hose connection is better then removing it.
Patience G.I'll get to it :lol: .One thing at a time :thumbup: .

Cheers
Andrew
dkd

Post by dkd »

Hi Andrew,

this all makes very interesting reading ... good work.

Have a look at your commercial hose suppliers for your fuel hose as they will have it by the mile, the Pirtek's or Enzed's of this world. there is bound to be someone close by.

You could get the "pretty" stainless steel braided hose for what "Auto bling" want. I used the SS braided on several of the other bikes and has lasted well as well as looking "Gucci".

Now heading back to my other life, back to sea for a few weeks.

David
"Judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement".
Simon Bolivar
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Thanks David I never thought of them.Stainless,now that would be nice.I'll look some up but the price might put a stop to that :,( .Now get to work :lol:

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Not much to show today.I spent a good few hours polishing the exhaust.I t could be better but I'm not spending anymore time on it.
I gave these a whirl on the wire wheel.They'll get surface rust again but they'll have to do.

You may notice I'm one nut short :wacko: :lol: .My ex friend,Mr wire wheel decided 1 nut needed a whirlwind tour of the garage floor :banghead: .After crawling around the garage floor on my hands and knees for a considerable length of time I gave up :oops: .

It'll turn up one day I'm sure :lol: .So it's into the nut box for a spare.I found one that fitted right away.It's not identical but it will do for the moment.

I'll tackle this tomorrow.This has got to be the flimsiest exhaust clamp I've ever seen.I'll have a look around for something stronger.

Not looking good Captain.I went to put the sidestand on and found the front thread to be damaged so I ran a tap through it to clean it up.

It looks like the front part of the thread is damaged.I took some measurements and it appears that I still have 10mm to 15 mm of unused thread after the bolt is all the way in so on Monday I'll get a longer bolt to take advantage of the remaining thread.The bolt still bites so with the extra thread and some Loctite all should be good :thumbup: .

Cheers
Andrew
bmw851
model: other

Post by bmw851 »

Andrew2 wrote: I'll tackle this tomorrow.This has got to be the flimsiest exhaust clamp I've ever seen.I'll have a look around for something stronger.
Staintune do some really nice clamps, but were/are $40 a pop + postage, broke both of my originals 1st time I had them off and put them back on and tried to tighten 'em up. :banghead:

Cheers

Peter
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

bmw851 wrote:
Andrew2 wrote: I'll tackle this tomorrow.This has got to be the flimsiest exhaust clamp I've ever seen.I'll have a look around for something stronger.
Staintune do some really nice clamps, but were/are $40 a pop + postage, broke both of my originals 1st time I had them off and put them back on and tried to tighten 'em up. :banghead:

Cheers

Peter
Still $35 + postage Pete.I'm might take a ride up there ( only 30 minutes away ).
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

I got a bit done today.It's time to put the exhaust on.First to work out what bit to put on first.

That'll do for now.

I thought I'd quickly throw a pipe on just for a look.

It still needs a polish.

I also tightened everything up....except....you guessed it,the headlight/oil cooler.Off it comes again :banghead:

.When I connected the power up the instrument lights came on.When I turned the ignition on they went out and the headlight came :lol: .A change of plugs and all worked as it should.Dash lights and all :thumbup:

I got a few little things finished like this....

....and this.

It's actually matt black :huh:

And she stands on her own after a long time in pieces :choo:

After giving the pipes a good clean this is how she now looks.

All that's left to do is put the valve covers back on,fit the tank and fire her up.I could have done this today but want to savour the excitement....or dissapointment if it does'nt start :,( .

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Just remembered that I have to pull the throttle apart as it's notchy and sticking when I twist it.Oh well.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Early report today.I had to find out why the throttle was sticking so it had to come apart.

It all looked good inside so I reasembled it and....still sticking.Pull it apart again,but this time clean some of the old grease off and reasemble it a bit more carefully and presto,works great.

Adjust the free play.

Then attach the choke cable.What a pain in the arse.It takes a 7mm spanner which I don't have so a bit of improvisation and all good.

Some oil in the top end.

And button her up.

I found out the small bolts I found earlier actually go on the front lower valve cover.

On with the tank.

Connect up some power.That's a good sign.

A squirt of Start Ya Bastard.

And....it lives

She's having a wee smoke after her impressive performance :lol: .

I only ran her for a couple of minutes as I had a fuel leak from the old,hard fuel lines.Now I can get on with the rest of the finishing off things like riveting the compliance plates back on etc.

Cheers
Andrew

edit:new plugs too.
Last edited by Andrew2 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

:choo:

Looks great, Andrew, and no I didn't book a trackday so don't blame me for the crook weather :lol:

Love that movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH97lImrr0Q

Cheers

Peter

Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Bad weather???.It's great down here....just don't move here ok :lol: :lol: .Yeah,that's a funny movie.One of my favourites.
Peter,do you remenber if you had a rubber support between your tank and the frame on both the top tubes on either side of the tank?.I did'nt get any with mine but am wondering if the rubber tank supports at the rear of the tank are used instead.
You can see the 2 rubber supports on the cross brace where the top shock mount is.

I seem to remember Phil? saying he did'nt have these 2 small ones that are on mine.

Cheers
Andrew
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Hey Andrew,

Meant to be 2 of these rubber blocks there towards the front, and the tank just lightly rests on them, think you can get away with out them if need's be but always looks like somethings missing to someone who knows the bikes.

edit: just realized mine never had the rear ones looking at that picture, always wondered what those mounting holes were for, to quote Jackie McDonald "Folks are dumb where I come from" :lol:

Cheers

Peter
Attachments
IMG00048-20120720-0940.jpg
IMG00048-20120720-0940.jpg (103.86 KiB) Viewed 9974 times

Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Thanks Jackie :lol: :lol: .I think they may have introduced them because of the rear tank support cracking.

Cheers
Andrew

R.I.P. Robin Williams