750 Sport restoration project

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Re: 750 Sport restoration project

Post by Andrew2 »

Busy today but tomorrow I want the frame sanded and ready for painting.I have a question...why does no one put their real names on the end of posts on the internet.I don't know about others but I feel awkward not being able to say hello to someone I might talk to regularly on a forum by their first name.Seems a bit cold.Anyway enough dribble back to sanding :banghead: :lol: :lol: .

Cheers
Andrew
bmw851
model: other

Post by bmw851 »

Andrew2 wrote:I'll check the regulator.I think I have a good spare ( of course....being a Ducati owner I would have a spare regulator :lol: :lol: ).The catch tank idea looks like a good one too.

Cheers
Andrew
Just wondering why bother, if the battery has a breather/overflow outlet it should have come with some plastic hose of reasonable length to run down and under the engine for venting :lol: and if not just get some, it will mostly be hidden by the fairing anyway.

Just seems like a lot of stuffing around, when the KISS principle should apply.

Just my 2 bob's worth :beer:

Anyway get back to sanding

Cheers

Peter
Attachments
100_3482.JPG
(215.43 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

KISS is always good but a tube ending down there can still cause battery acid to spray on the engine cover, swingarm, rear wheel or boot when riding.

G.

PS:
...why does no one put their real names on the end of posts on the internet.
I`ve always signed in short. With the amount of posts in the forum and the insane amount of emails written per year I`d have to write my name 20.000 times. ;)
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Believe it or not I'm going to get more done on this project :dunno: .The holdup has been.....wait for it.....money.What's new :banghead: .Anyhow I'm getting the frame powder coated in the next couple of weeks.The dilema I'm having is whether to add the extra reinforcing near the steering head like later model Dukes or leave it standard.I know these bikes are'nt the most collectable around but when I mod something I like to be able to return it to standard if need be.I know will say do it and some not so what is the advantage of that extra strut.Did they crack around the steering head or was it to fix a handling problem?.

Cheers
Andrew
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

I have never heard of a Sport frame cracking, anywhere. I would assume the strut was added based on the development of the 851 which has a similar frame structure around the head area. I would assume that the added strut stiffened the frame for situations, like heavy braking.

If you add it, I would suggest doing it the way CroMo bicycle frames are made and just braze it in place. Cut the seat stays off an old bicycle and your in for cheap.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
bmw851
model: other

Post by bmw851 »

Or dare, dare, to just leave it, they will be collectable one day and paticualrly a unbutchered 1st Model in original condition, may take another 10 years though :lol: :lol: :lol:.

As Phil says it is an easy thing to get done, but...................................

This was always a more about saving a bike that was left to rot, than owning one to ride project, no?

I mean who would have ever thought a Drama :banghead: or any square case model in original condition would become so sort after one day, all they ever did back in my day was drop bigends and valves when ridden the way they should be, ah hindsight what a wonderfull thing. :drunk:

And you should know better then anyone, you do still share a shed with one don't you :beer:

Cheers

Peter
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by 907pasonut »

what a great post, and interesting restoration, :thumbup:
Andrew you have undertaken a major project...your mate must of been living next to the beach, or very close to a cement factory, or both :lol:
I can sympathise with your dilemma as I find myself in a tight financial situation as well, but also keen to finish my 851 project... :beer:
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

ducinthebay wrote:I have never heard of a Sport frame cracking, anywhere. I would assume the strut was added based on the development of the 851 which has a similar frame structure around the head area. I would assume that the added strut stiffened the frame for situations, like heavy braking.

If you add it, I would suggest doing it the way CroMo bicycle frames are made and just braze it in place. Cut the seat stays off an old bicycle and your in for cheap.

Cheers, Phil

Thanks Phil,
I'm thinking about leaving it off just to keep it original.I don't mind modifying things as long as I can put them back to stock or if it has to be done to keep a bike working.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

bmw851 wrote:Or dare, dare, to just leave it, they will be collectable one day and paticualrly a unbutchered 1st Model in original condition, may take another 10 years though :lol: :lol: :lol:.

As Phil says it is an easy thing to get done, but...................................

This was always a more about saving a bike that was left to rot, than owning one to ride project, no?

Yep that's right...

I mean who would have ever thought a Drama :banghead: or any square case model in original condition would become so sort after one day, all they ever did back in my day was drop bigends and valves when ridden the way they should be, ah hindsight what a wonderfull thing. :drunk:

And you should know better then anyone, you do still share a shed with one don't you :beer:

Cheers

Peter
Hindsight...what a wonderful thing.I would still have my F1 with a bit of hindsight.It's a strange thing how certain bikes become collectable.The F1 was never a great bike in my opinion.The motor had less power than the Sport.The 16" front wheel made it extremely dangerous without a steering damper and even when I put an 18" front on it still wanted to spit me off without the damper wound up.But being a low volume model it's now collectable.Go figure :dunno:

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

907pasonut wrote:what a great post, and interesting restoration, :thumbup:
Andrew you have undertaken a major project...your mate must of been living next to the beach, or very close to a cement factory, or both :lol:
I can sympathise with your dilemma as I find myself in a tight financial situation as well, but also keen to finish my 851 project... :beer:
G'day Claude,
you're right he did live next to beach.Once he got his 848 he stuck the poor old Sport in a tin shed out the back.When I rescued her she was covered in a blue tarp with water on it.
Yeah more money would be nice but at least it makes it more satisfying when the project is finally finished.Do you have a link to your 851 restoration.It sounds very interesting.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

I spotted this on the net today.It's a Phil Annesley photo from the Island Classic (Philip Island).

ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Great picture.

That's an early Sport with out the diagonal brace to the headset. Flat slide carbs (or Dellortos, can't quite tell) , no battery (probably in back like an F1) an F1 fairing, and a 17" front wheel. No linkage on the shifter, and a rather crude shifter at that. Great find.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Danielmc

Post by Danielmc »

Great pic - and 40mm Dell'Ortos I think.

Love the look of a Sport with big air under the tank - if you know what I mean...
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by 907pasonut »

Andrew2 wrote:

Do you have a link to your 851 restoration.It sounds very interesting.

Cheers
Andrew
hi Andrew, I wouldn't call it a restoration, the bike itself is in very good condition with 13k km on the clock, its going to be a single seat conversion (project) with the rear aluminium frame, hi-rise carbon pipes and ceramic coated header, rear carbon hugger, a nice corbin seat (thanks to Gerhard) and quiet a few other cosmetic changes including chain, sprockets, chip, adjustable cam pulleys, clutch slave cyl, braided lines, and last, new belts and rubber, I have most of the bits, just have some personal issues at the moment that are causing me grief and draining me financially, but it should be sorting itself out in October...
I will post a link in due time...btw, what is the KISS principle?
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Keep It Simple & Stupid :)

Speaking of it why would one make adapters to keep the 280mm discs on a Sport that`s modified for track instead of using the 320mm discs made for those wheels and just make an adapter for the caliper ?

G.