750 Sport restoration project

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
lane1feathers
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Re: 750 Sport restoration project

Post by lane1feathers »

Fu<*!n good job brother! Looks awesome. Now go for a ride and enjoy...and get rid of that disc rust :mrgreen:

Let me know if you're going to keep the weber. I have a pair of good cond. rubber boots that came off the paso. The rubber is free of cracks and pliable. You can have them, if they fit. I assume the manifolds are the same diameter.

When you've finished having fun, you can make a Cafe Racer out of it :D
Just jokin...juuuuust jokin :mrgreen:
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

randtcastell wrote:Braydon did a fine job with the photography. Snap, snap. click, click. Say no more!

You sir are a noble prince. Thank you so much for documenting your work. For all of us, it was extremely interesting, informative, intimate and educational. The posting has been fantastic. Hats off, you have my deep respect for your intentions and your actions.

Won't your workmate feel silly when he surmises what an idiot he was.
Thankyou,
that means a lot to me.I'm happy you enjoyed it.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

paso750 wrote:She`s looking good, does everything work ? :mrgreen:
Everything works fine,indicators and all :lol: ...oh,except the front parking light.A new bulb should fix that though.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Thanks Peter and Lane.I had her outside today while I cleaned the garage for the next job so sat down and just looked at her for a while.What a beautiful bike :thumbup: .It really grabbed hold of me and took me back to my F1 days when I really enjoyed my riding.I'd forgotten how much i love 80's Ducati's :choo: .
There was one thing I had forgotten about though and was brought back home with a thud as soon as I sat on her......I need to lose some weight :dunno: .I was literally wedged between the tank and the back of the seat.How embarrasing :,( ,which is why there are no photos of me sitting on her :lol: .
Thanks for the offer of the rubber boots Lane.I'll have a look at mine and get back to you.....and no,it won't get turned into a cafe racer :lol: :lol: .

I also have these 3 screws left over.Any clues?

The rubbers have been placed in the correct spot.Thanks Peter :thumbup:

Cheers
Andrew
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Awesome job Andrew, you should be proud of your efforts & we certainly appreciate your documentation. Inspirational, can't wait to get into the Guzzi or even the R100 now.
Yes please document your MHR work here too.
Hope you don't mind but I made that rear shot of your girl my work computer background. She is extra sweet from there.
New rubber & rego ?

Cheers
James
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
deswoodau

Post by deswoodau »

Hi Andrew,

I've been sitting on the side lines enjoying your restoration. Thanks for sharing the journey with us as I truly appreciate the preservation of these beautiful late 80's era Ducati's. I didn't have much feedback as I'm still learning about these machines myself.

I also sit in the garage sometimes and simply look at it……..they are as nice to ride as they're to observe. The profiled tank, Veglia gauges, Oscam rims, Verlicchi swing arm, exposed trellis frame, angulated clip ons, aggressive riding position……and that striking 80's inspired paint work.

Be patient with the Weber, now that I've learnt how to handle it's short coming thought the jet transition they sound great when opened up.

The shorter bolt may be fasteners for the real seat cowl. My bike has shorter ones fitted for the cover but they're a flat screw driver type not allen key. The others look like fairing bolts.

Have fun riding the Sport!

Thanks
Des
bmw851
model: other

Post by bmw851 »

Your more than welcome Andrew :thumbup:

Looking at the pictures the rear mounting bolts on the seat unit aren't fitted yet, and assume the 2 long one's you have left over would go there.

There should be well nuts on the inside of the frame, which if you have the unit off and on enough give up the ghost, and break off, how unusual for an Italian bike :shock:

Item 8 and 20 in the parts drawing, of course if you have now fitted them, the classic Aussie answer is buggered if I know....... :truck:

Looking like a trackday bike to me Muwahahaha :lol:

Cheers

Peter
Attachments
Capture 5.JPG
Capture 5.JPG (47.46 KiB) Viewed 11140 times
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
dkd

Post by dkd »

Awesome job Andrew and have enjoyed watching the entire process. learnt a bit along the way.

Understand your comments about whether anyone reads it all, have been doing the same with the rebuilt of my yacht, and like your bike the boat is about to be enjoyed.

Enjoy the ride, finished in time for spring, well planned.

David
"Judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement".
Simon Bolivar
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

redpaso wrote:Awesome job Andrew, you should be proud of your efforts & we certainly appreciate your documentation. Inspirational, can't wait to get into the Guzzi or even the R100 now.
Yes please document your MHR work here too.
Hope you don't mind but I made that rear shot of your girl my work computer background. She is extra sweet from there.
New rubber & rego ?

Cheers
James
No problems at all James :thumbup: .When you start make sure you document it mate.Maybe G can start a non Paso/Sport Section for our other motorcycle interests :phone: ..

cheers
Andrew
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

deswoodau wrote:Hi Andrew,

I've been sitting on the side lines enjoying your restoration. Thanks for sharing the journey with us as I truly appreciate the preservation of these beautiful late 80's era Ducati's. I didn't have much feedback as I'm still learning about these machines myself.

I also sit in the garage sometimes and simply look at it……..they are as nice to ride as they're to observe. The profiled tank, Veglia gauges, Oscam rims, Verlicchi swing arm, exposed trellis frame, angulated clip ons, aggressive riding position……and that striking 80's inspired paint work.

Be patient with the Weber, now that I've learnt how to handle it's short coming thought the jet transition they sound great when opened up.

The shorter bolt may be fasteners for the real seat cowl. My bike has shorter ones fitted for the cover but they're a flat screw driver type not allen key. The others look like fairing bolts.

Have fun riding the Sport!

Thanks
Des
I'm glad you enjoyed it Des.I'm down to 1 short bolt now :lol: .Where are you located mate.

Cheers
Andrew
deswoodau

Post by deswoodau »

Hi Andrew,

I'm located in Melbourne. If we resided closer I'd suggest a ride in the hills on the 750's.

I just took a quick look at the beginning of your post and noticed the previous owner wanted to retain the original mufflers. I'm not sure if you already know, but Ian Gowanloch has about 100 brand new sets.

If you wanted some to get the bike 100% original they're readily available. Be sure to let your mate \ previous owner know that the mufflers aren't rare at all and he should hand them over :) Mine still has them fitted but if it didn't I'd be inclined to buy a set while they're not that expensive. He listed a pair on ebay some months back for $250.

Cheers
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Yeah,it's a pity.It would have been good to see the 2 bikes together.Thanks for the info on the pipes Des.I'll give Ian a ring as soon as I get a bit of spare :lol: cash together.

Cheers
Andrew
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

deswoodau wrote:I just took a quick look at the beginning of your post and noticed the previous owner wanted to retain the original mufflers. I'm not sure if you already know, but Ian Gowanloch has about 100 brand new sets.Cheers
That's interesting, I was also under the impression they were unobtainium, so that was all an urban legend then? :shock:

Cheers

Peter

Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

bmw851 wrote:
deswoodau wrote:I just took a quick look at the beginning of your post and noticed the previous owner wanted to retain the original mufflers. I'm not sure if you already know, but Ian Gowanloch has about 100 brand new sets.Cheers
That's interesting, I was also under the impression they were unobtainium, so that was all an urban legend then? :shock:

Cheers

Peter
So does this mean that you're buying all 100 sets Peter and then holding us all to ransom in 30 years time :lol: :lol: .

Cheers
Andrew
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Andrew2 wrote:
bmw851 wrote:

Cheers

Peter
So does this mean that you're buying all 100 sets Peter and then holding us all to ransom in 30 years time :lol: :lol: .

Cheers
Andrew
It's worked for Ian all these years, something about racks full of round/square case engines and so on :lol: :lol: :lol:

Onya

Peter