750 Sport restoration project

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: 750 Sport restoration project

Post by paso750 »

Can anyone give me any info on a 2-1 header system for the reverse head engines.I much prefer the look of the dual system but it would be nice to get her as light as possible.
Why would you even think about that? Corrosion already made your bike considerably lighter :)
2in1 headers for sale appear once in a while but not very often. I wonder if one for a Paso would fit, too. The 600SS originally only came with a 2in1 system, but I don`t know if that one would fit or if the tube diameter is the same.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

Lot of work to keep an alloy finish

POR-15 would be easiest and quickest. When it comes to bringing long neglected items back to life POR rocks and is very durable :thumbup:

Clean it, hit it with metal prep and paint it

They also make a product called Glisten for alloy finishes. I have never used it but hear it is an excellent product

http://www.por15.com/Clearcoats/products/6/
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

paso750 wrote:
Can anyone give me any info on a 2-1 header system for the reverse head engines.I much prefer the look of the dual system but it would be nice to get her as light as possible.
Why would you even think about that? Corrosion already made your bike considerably lighter :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Oh, and I'm a dick ???? :thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

higgy wrote:Lot of work to keep an alloy finish

POR-15 would be easiest and quickest. When it comes to bringing long neglected items back to life POR rocks and is very durable :thumbup:

Clean it, hit it with metal prep and paint it

They also make a product called Glisten for alloy finishes. I have never used it but hear it is an excellent product

http://www.por15.com/Clearcoats/products/6/

Which POR-15 product Higgy?.I can't seem to find the right one.By the way I've started reading your Weber site.Bloody good info that.Big thumbs up :thumbup:.

Cheers
Andrew
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

GLISTEN PC™ is a Rock Hard clear topcoat designed for spray or brush application over all metal surfaces, including highly polished aluminum and chrome surfaces.
They also have great engine enamals if you want color

I use their chassis black almost everywhere, frame,handle bars, all those little black bits.................fairing screws.............

Since you will be on a 750 be sure to read jayh's stuff here............
he has pretty good results with his 750 just modifying the pump can.
Others have also followed his ideas and had good results on the 750's
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Did'nt get a lot done today.A bit more paint removal and also took the exhaust system off.

I think there's potential here.Thanks G:thumbup:.

I'm going to clean up the garage tomorrow in prep for removing the motor.

Cheers
A2
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Having several bikes you probably have a rear wheel stand. If so you can use that as a motor stand.
Maybe don`t use a hammer in front but something more stable :)

(found on the internet)

G.
Fraser
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

McTool,

The pear cider was a disaster, tasted like vinegar, complete shite. However, only have 33 l of it (48 bottles worth). Will have another go this year, have come across someone who makes it regularly, so with some expert assistance we should be good.
Cheers,

Fraser.
750 Paso
1980 Moto Morini 500 Sport
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Fraser wrote:McTool,

The pear cider was a disaster, tasted like vinegar, complete shite. However, only have 33 l of it (48 bottles worth). Will have another go this year, have come across someone who makes it regularly, so with some expert assistance we should be good.
Cheers,

Fraser.
Your shout then Fraser ;) :beer:
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

paso750 wrote:Having several bikes you probably have a rear wheel stand. If so you can use that as a motor stand.
Maybe don`t use a hammer in front but something more stable :)

(found on the internet)

G.
Good idea G.I might knock something up similar :thumbup:.

A2
ir_joep
year: 1989

Post by ir_joep »

Hi,

On the 600 single exhaust I can tell the diameter is smaller compared to the system we have.

Good luck fixing your bike!

Greets Joep
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

...And I can tell you that the stock header pipes on the Paso and Sport are smaller than for later model 900 motors and aftermarket. Although I haven't tried it, the headers from a 900 motor should work, but you may have to trim the back pipe going into the collector. The angle at the exhaust flange seems to be unchanged, but the added stroke moves the heads a bit farther apart.

The one 2 into 1 exhaust that was made for the Sport was the Gia-Ca-Moto. I have one on my bike. I think Conti made one also.

If you search the aftermarket pipe manufacturer's websites, you can see how interchangeable their pipes would be.

For routing, anything that fits later SS models should fit the Sport. This is not true with the Paso, as that swingarm configuration lead to a very unique header pipe. Of course the rear hanger attachment would need to be modified, but that's easy enough.
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Well the whole project nearly came to an end on Wednesday when a certain jealous lady tried to kill me...yes I'm talking about you.

I went for a .....lets say "fastish" ride up my favourite winding mountain road which was good but coming back down the back end came around and it nearly ended in tears.Very close.Then to top it off I went inside this afternoon for a couple of minutes and when I came back out she was on her side throwing a tantrum.Italian women :banghead:

Now back to the Sport.I dropped the motor today.It all went easy...too easy :dunno:.The swingarm came out ok.

Everything seems ok.Disconnected a few bits and pieces and the motor came out without a problem.

I then put the engine on my pre-fabricated engine stand which is a bit different from the photo that G put up :lol:.

I spent a bit of time cleaning as much old paint off that I could.Unfortunately I've still got these stains on the alloy which I can only get rid of by using something like this.

That's ok for the parts that are easy to get at bit there's to many areas I can't reach with it so it looks like the bare alloy finish I wanted won't happen unless someone can come up with an idea.I've tried different cleaners but nothing seems to work.

This is the finish I can get with the above tool....

....but how to get into all the nooks and crannies.

Here's the engine number if it means anything to anyone.Does it tell what number off the line it is or anything?.

I'll spend another day on it tomorrow as I don't seem to have time to do much through the week.

Cheers
Andrew

P.S. feel free to add any comments or suggestions.I can only tell you to bugger off :lol: :lol: :lol:
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

ok, you asked for it. :mrgreen: Go back out in the garage, look for a wire and tie that rear caliper to the frame - now. You may also replace that rag in the engines swingarm bushing with tape as the rag won`t really protect from dust.
Nice engine stand btw. :)
So what`s the story about the other bike, what happened ?

G.