750 Sport restoration project

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Re: 750 Sport restoration project

Post by Derek »

The inlet rubbers look just like the ones from the carbed SS models. I don't know if they are the same but it's worth a look.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

Derek wrote:The inlet rubbers look just like the ones from the carbed SS models. I don't know if they are the same but it's worth a look.
Thanks Derek,I'll check it out.

Cheers
Andrew
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Thanks Higgy,
the problem is they want $50 to ship it :banghead:

Cheers
Andrew
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

I thought if nothing else you would have the part number to help find it local
YA never know who has what layin around and if they don't have to look it up on an old fiche they may be more inclined to look on the shelf

I personally have shipped several items to Australia and it has never been anywhere near 50 usually under 15 insured Aholes everywhere :thumbup: :banghead: :banghead:

Larger stuff can get expensive but this is no where near large
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

I got the rear wheel cleaned up after not doing anything to it since the last post.Anyway it looked like this.

And now looks like this.

It's not perfect and I was'nt going for a mirror shine so I'm happy with it.Better than it was anyway.

I also pulled some bits out of the Mollasses bucket and hit them with a wire wheel.They came up ok too.You can see how pitted the bolt was from rust.

I'll start on the back rim next.The front took a lot of hours so I'm not looking forward to doing the back :banghead: :lol:.I also started rubbing back the headers.Now after seeing G's excellent job I think I might spray mine chrome or silver.I just can't live up to that standard :lol: :lol: .
I've now got 2 choices with painting the frame.Powder coating or spraying it as both will be done for virtually free ( case of beer ).Decisions...decisions.I like the idea of powder coating but am doing it through a mate of a mate.The only trouble is I like to talk to the person actually doing the job to be sure it's done right.Whereas I know the spray painter personally.No hurry though so I'll think about it :wacko: .

Later
A2
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

just wow, I didn`t believe it was possible to get the rims so nicely looking again :thumbup:
My old ones look almost like yours did. I was thinking what to do with them as I have a set of brand new ones on the bike now. Can you give us some more details what you exactly did ?
I was always thinking that when polishing the rims the critical part would be the edge to the paint and the small silver section on the 3 spokes but that looks really good on your rims.
Guess you will have to wax the rims or do something similar as the aluminium is blank and will corrode even faster but maybe that`s less of a problem in Australia`s climate than it is here.
Don`t forget to polish the outer edge when the tires are taken off. :wink:

Cleaning the header should not be that hard. I did the mistake to sandblast mine which left a rough surface which needed a lot of sanding to become even again. It should be easier for you.
Headers get a lot hotter than exhausts so many "heat resistant" spray paints will start to peel off over time. Better invest some elbow grease. :mrgreen:

G.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Thanks G.As you well know nothing is easy but here goes.First I had to remove the front wheel and the disc from the side I was working on.

This is what it looked like.

Then find a shady spot to work in as it's the middle of sumer over here.

Now on with the paint stripper to get the plastic coating off.

You usually won't get it all the first time.When it comes to putting it on close to the paint I use a small brush and patience.

Next up is the hard work starting with this.

I use these now when sanding.Saves the fingers a bit.My wife bought these.Of course I would have bought red ones as red is faster and I would have done the job in half the time :thumbup: :lol:

More to come as I progress :thumbup:.

Cheers
A2
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Sorry about the crappy photos this time :dunno:
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Where was I...oh yeah.This is what it looks like after the 80g wet/dry.

The 80 wet/dry part is the hardest and longest.Next up some 120.After the 120.

After that I used some 600,1000 and 120.Then I use this for a couple of minutes.

And finally tidy up with this.

Here I've done one section to final completion.Came out ok.

You can see where I"ve stopped at the 80g and finshed the one section completely.As I said the 80 grit takes about 70% of the job.I'll probably finish the rest of the wheel through the week.

Cheers
A2
Bock900r
year: 1991

Post by Bock900r »

Wow, looks much better as in my mind possible. Its real hard and dirty work
Rüdiger
88 GPZ 900R
888 SP4
907ie Black
907ie Red
907 evo (project)
998 Matrix
998s FE
V50 Monza
MV Agusta 750 Evo2
ZXR750RR-K
ZXR750RR-M
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

thanks, Andrew. Are the spots were the silver shows through under the red paint because of the paint remover ? If so it`s probably better to have the wheel standing and doing only the lower section, then rinse, then do the next etc. This`ll take a lot longer but it may be safer for the painted parts of the rims.
I`ll definetely give it a try in a couple of months. Currently we`re at -15°C :(

G.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

paso750 wrote:thanks, Andrew. Are the spots were the silver shows through under the red paint because of the paint remover ? If so it`s probably better to have the wheel standing and doing only the lower section, then rinse, then do the next etc. This`ll take a lot longer but it may be safer for the painted parts of the rims.
I`ll definetely give it a try in a couple of months. Currently we`re at -15°C :(

G.

That's actually aluminium dust mixed with water from using the 80grit G.I had'nt washed the rim at this stage because I still had to finish the rest of it.The front wheel in the earlier pics looked the same before I gave it a wash.I just did a part of the rim to photograph the different stages.I'll post up photos when I have finished the whole rim and given it a wash.
If you look at the closeup you'll see where the oxidisation has got under the plastic coating on the painted part.There was nothing I could do about that but clean it up.I will eventually repaint the rims but it's a money thing (lack of) at the moment.
-15C :shock: .We forget how lucky we are over here having all year round riding weather.

Cheers
Andrew
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Andrew, a month has gone by, made any progress ? :truck:

G
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

paso750 wrote:Andrew, a month has gone by, made any progress ? :truck:

G
Hi G,
sorry but I have'nt had a chance to do anything else lately but I have some time off work this week so hope to get a bit more done.

Cheers
Andrew