750 Sport restoration project

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Re: 750 Sport restoration project

Post by Andrew2 »

Well I finally got some more work done on the old girl this weekend.The wheels were done and I must say I'm happy with how they came up.
I just need to bolt the discs back on and the they're finished.What a job though :shock:.As I said before I'm on a very tight budget and everything I can do myself I will be.I have some forks lined up and am saving like hell to get them.
Next up will be to strip the frame.This will also take some time to get perfect for the painter but it's only my time.Looks good from a distance.
I've given some thought to putting the extra brace at the steering head but have decided against it.It has'nt cracked in 40,000kms so I'll leave it alone......unless someone has another reason for it to be put in.
Let's get started.

Finally....chrome moly :choo:

I'll add some more photos when it's stripped bare.While it's getting painted I'll mask and paint the engine.For some reason I have'nt been keen to get into painting the engine.Not sure why but can only guess that I don't feel it's cleaned up enough to get a good finish.It'll have to do though as I've got it as clean as I can short of bead blasting it.

I also picked these up from the previous owner today.I doubt I'll use them but will keep them just to have the original parts.

Cheers
Andrew
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Andrew, you`re not totally done with the wheels yet. You need to pull off the tires, then you can finish the rim edge. You won`t want to use those tires anyway no matter how much thread there`s left. The front tire seems to have a 3 digit DOT with a triangle so it`s from the 90s!

I`d use that airbox if you have the original cover, too. Filters like your old one just make more noise and make a proper carb setup often more complicated.

G.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

The diagonal brace to the headset wasn't so much to prevent frame breakage as it was to stiffen up the headset a bit more. The 851 has a similar tube that area. Easy to add now that your frame is clean.

But, as you pointed out earlier, you are going back to stock. So, to be correct, don't add it.

Everyday its looking better. Did you drop those iron rotors into the molasses? What is the proper way to deal with rusted cast iron rotors?

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

ducinthebay wrote:Everyday its looking better. Did you drop those iron rotors into the molasses? What is the proper way to deal with rusted cast iron rotors?

Cheers,
I haven't touched the rotors yet but will try the molasses.The only problem is if you don't do anything to them imediately they rust again so might leave that till last.Although I have found that just using them gets rid of the rust quick enough.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Not much to report.I stripped a bit more paint off the frame.It's a time consuming job and I might get it blasted yet.

This is what battery acid will do to your frame if left.

Cheers
Andrew
bmw851
model: other

Post by bmw851 »

I really am glad it's you and not me doing all that :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I was very naughty with the rotors off mine, hit them with the wire wheel on the bench grinder, then block sanded with 1200 wet & dry :beer:

Actually gave the pads a light block sand as well just to take the glazing off, that trick is older than dirt.

Keep the pictures coming, it is facsinating watching the process & progress. :cool:
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

That battery acid damage could have come from a bad regulator/rectifier boiling the battery. Better check it before reusing it in case the last owner didn`t already change it.
If you`re using a non sealed battery a catch tank like this`ll help if that happens again:
http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Batter ... 864&sr=8-4

G.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

+1 on the catch tank for lead acid
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

MMMMM nice tires ,and the best ones came from the 90's ( :P to you paso 750 ! :lol: ) , they are like fine wine and women , they improve with age ( ok , not the women ) . Any 16" ducati owner will be lookin' at those tires with envious eyes , and , Oh yeah ! ( Gettin hysterical now ) DONT forget to change your cambelts !
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

another thing , I have recently painted 3 frames and 5 motors ( actually only 2 frames and 2 motors , I just did them more than once ..... and thats my point )
NOTHING shows up poor preperation like the last coat of paint, be it on a motor or a frame . I have had all sorts of drama trying to save a few bucks . After paint strippering , water blasting and wire brushing a guzzi frame and the paso one TWICE each ( the 1st time looked like shit ) I found the local powder coating guy would acid dip , sand blast , primer and powder coat a frame for $100 (NZ )
As for the motor , I paint strippered , I wire brushed and I even f*&%in prepasoled , but the firetruckin paint wont stick. One lot did stick but crc , petrol and oil took it off ... f^%$in great!
So IMHO If you want your frame to look good give it to a pro. Powder baking involves a bit of finishing off , cleaning out threads and removing masking . If you have never done it before go see the guy who's gunna do it and he will tell you what YOU need to do to geta good job . Engine ; if you want it to look good for longer than the 1st ride , strip it down and get it soda or vapour blasted clean, and I have been told by several people now that the harley branded ( dunno who really makes it ) engine paint is hard to beat. Out board motor dealers often have quality factory primers and top coats in aerosol cans too ( mercury black ) It is heart breaking to spend hours and dollars and get a average job . Do it once properly ,it will save you money in the long run :) :) :)
Last edited by Mc tool on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

bmw851 wrote:I really am glad it's you and not me doing all that :wacko: :
Yeah, stripping a frame is a lot of work. I have done some bicycle frames by hand and it takes a lot of time to prep it right. As with all paint jobs, its all in the prep work. Get yourself a roll of 120-150 sand paper, (1.5 inches or 35-40mm wide) put on some good music, go around the frame to the rhythm of the music. Its a tedious job.

Beadblasting is one option, as is hot dip stripping if you have a service that will do it for you. There is always some hand work after any of those services.

Painting a frame is much more difficult than something like a tank. All those different angles to get covered and getting a good gloss on the paint is very difficult because everything oversprays. That's one reason that powder coat is done often. No concern of overspray, and a nice even finish.

This certainly qualifies as a full restoration. How much is your bike worth if you got paid minimum wage?

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

I visited this shop on one of our ST trips through the West. They are in rural Colorado, and do full restorations of only Nortons. If you have $10k to dump into a Norton, this is the place to go. He is booked 3 years out.
They strip the frame, Powder coat it (any color) then sand it all smooth with 400 grit, then 600, then polish it, and wax it. The standard powder coat was too orange peel looking for them. Their frames are gorgeous. But talk about hand work. Hours of hand sanding and polishing after paint.
http://www.coloradonortonworks.com/

How perfect of a bike do you want to make? (I still use rattle cans for touch ups)
My bike is a 50/50 bike. Looks good from 50 feet, or 50mph.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

I'll check the regulator.I think I have a good spare ( of course....being a Ducati owner I would have a spare regulator :lol: :lol: ).The catch tank idea looks like a good one too.
Speaking of regulators I remember doing a ride to the Snowy Mountains on the Paso.When I stopped I could smell a sort of rotten egg smell but thought it must have been something in the pub.Anyhow,when we got to our destinaton I saw a Huntsman spider ( they're big :shock: ) run under my seat.So off with the seat to find it and lo and behold there was my battery ballooned to half it's size again.So that's where the smell was coming from.The regulator was over charging and the battery was about to explode.Thankyou Mr Hunstman :lol: .

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

That's cheap McTool.I was quoted double that over here.If it does'nt work out doing it by hand ( the paint will be free ) I'll fork up the money and get the frame powder coated.This might be a silly question but you did use "heat paint" on the engine and roughed it up a bit before applying did'nt you?.I had a Guzzi California and the tappet covers were chrome ( or polished...can't remember ) but without roughing them up the paint would'nt stick.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

ducinthebay wrote:My bike is a 50/50 bike. Looks good from 50 feet, or 50mph.

Cheers,
:lol: :lol: I like that.I 'm looking for a show bike,just something that is respectable.It'll get ridden at some stage I guess although I have said it won't I'm not the type to leave things unridden.Maybe even the odd track day.Who knows :?: .

Cheers
Andrew