Flat Slide Keihin's

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Mustang505
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Re: Flat Slide Keihin's

Post by Mustang505 »

paso750 wrote:I wonder if the milliseconds you might gain with no filters are worth getting dirt in the cylinders. There are filter sock you just pull over the velocity stacks.

G.
Its more than a few milliseconds mate, believe me, and any sock or sponge type filter just gets sucked in and out the exhaust. You would be stunned how many cubic meters/sec is pumped at 9000rpm by a 750. I've seen it all on a dyno, and filters do make a difference. And once you start fitting so called "race filters" you are no longer stopping dust or fine dirt anyway.
Cheers
Clive
bmw851
model: other

Post by bmw851 »

Interesting comments, love the shaving your ears, isn't it funny my hair went on holidays without me years ago, but appears to be coming back, and in the strangest places, everywhere but not my head, Dang.

I've had the same debate many, many times over the years about open mouth velocity stacks, with or without rock catchers, sock filters and so on and at the end of the day it's all really personal preference, however there is a most notable performance difference which is usually worth it, if I was still racing I'd be looking at some style of ram air or "Still Air" (long story a theory someone I raced with had) system to try and get even more.

I ran all my Pantah's and the Drama :banghead: with stacks, actually 1st thing done to each Pantah was remove airbox, fit a Tingate 2 into 1, rejet the Deli's and go, and these were bikes that were my only form of transport at the time, commuting during the week into the Sydney CBD and going berko on the Bell/Putty or Old Road, Macquarie Pass on weekends (those in Australia would know or heard of those roads).

For those of you who haven't ever ridden a 500 or 600 Pantah, they really had to be ridden like a 2 Stroke and kept on power to get the best out them, when being seriously aggressive on a ride, so every little bit helped, most likely get shot for saying that. :shock:

The only problem I ever had with stacks was on the race BM, with the L/H Delorto 40mm Pumper running on Avgas, kept on blocking the stack off with my shin, that made left handers interesting at times :wacko: and of course when it rained on the Duke's, use to carry little plastic bags to cover them up when parked otherwise had to drain the float bowls all the time before leaving work.

Oh she is running again, and now waiting for engineers inspection, new float needles and seats make all the difference :choo: will do the belts after inspection, need it running for the next week or so, as don't have firm date and really don't want start pulling things apart then getting call saying come now.

Out of interest had no trouble getting tyres obviously not the original sizes (read all the posts about trouble getting them and to me unless your really going to riding one hard or doing serious track days doesn't seem a problem to me, although these new Angelfire's could be the go), Bridgestone BT016 130/70 on the front and a Bridgestone Exedra 170/70 Rear it is a touring tyre so wouldn't go banana's with it however they both fitted with no mod's at all, the rear is very close to the chain but that's about it, from what I've read the rear could be an issue on the Paso.

Thanks for the comments, everything gets taken on board and chewed over, have only ever come across one other site with as much info, that was the BM Airhead site, next post it should be hopefully at the next stage.

Cheers

Peter
Last edited by bmw851 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Andrew2 wrote:I've learnt not to stand next to my 14 y.o. son when we stop for a leak.He starts after me,finishes before me and piddles twice as far as me.Old age :banghead: :oops: :lol:
Ha ha , I dont have a 14 yearold son to "sword fight " with but aint that the truth . And its a pain in the arse when riding (with all the gear on ) I have to stop again 1 minute down the road to finish off . I had a catherter for 3 months in hospital ..... now that was a handy thing , but you really had to remember when it was gone ..................
Last edited by Mc tool on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Mc tool wrote:
Andrew2 wrote:I've learnt not to stand next to my 14 y.o. son when we stop for a leak.He starts after me,finishes before me and piddles twice as far as me.Old age :banghead: :oops: :lol:
Ha ha , I dont have a 14 yearold son to "sword fight " with but aint that the truth . And its a pain in the arse when riding (with all the gear on ) I have to stop again 1 minute down the road at finish off . I had a catherter for 3 months in hospital ..... now that was a handy thing , but you really had to remember when it was gone ..................
Oh dear, I think I wet myself laughing........................................

paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Clive, I don`t race so I couldn`t really tell.
Race tracks are clean (at least the few I`ve seen) and race engines more often serviced or rebuild. I didn`t assume bmw851 was only useing his for track days.
Imho for a normal street ridden bike filters make sense. There are filters socks with an inner frame for stabilization, double layer for rougher and finer particle filtering etc etc. I think an oiled foam filter is still better than having none.

G.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

I seem to remember that K&N filter people advertising that thier filters improved power by "straightening " air flow into the carb(s) . I once had a VFR750 and was amazed at the crap I used to find sitting on top of the filter , grit , stones feathers bees bugs and bits of twigs , admittedly I had to do some every day miles on gravel but after that I would never run a road bike without filters
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

paso750 wrote:Clive, I don`t race so I couldn`t really tell.
Race tracks are clean (at least the few I`ve seen) and race engines more often serviced or rebuild. I didn`t assume bmw851 was only useing his for track days.
Imho for a normal street ridden bike filters make sense. There are filters socks with an inner frame for stabilization, double layer for rougher and finer particle filtering etc etc. I think an oiled foam filter is still better than having none.

G.
G, they obviously do, but not for the amount of riding this thing will be doing, I've been on dirtier race tracks than where I ride here in the Mountains, not at all concerned, if I was to start using it regularly would look at something but this is more a pose bike than a riding bike for me, it's the Stare Factor thing. :cool:

Mustang505

Post by Mustang505 »

Hey Peter
just my opinon on your tyre choice; BT016 for the front - spot on - fantastic tyre, i use this to race on and it's excellant thanks goodness they make this in a 16". As for the rear: when i was rebuilding my sport i initially was going to put it on the road and also bought a Exedra 170/70 thinking it would be ok. In the end i never used when i read what it was designed for - 1600cc Vulcans which weigh over 300kg!! Very heavy tyre with very thick side walls etc. I sold it before using and bought a 150 BT45. It is an 80 but fits fine in the sport swing arm. Much lighter and more nimble tyre and quite sporty. I used it for two track days and my 1st 2 race meetings before fitting a 17" rear rim. Tyre worked really well and i remember thinking how good it would have been on the road.
Cheers
Clive
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Thanks for that Clive, don't forget the they fit Goldwings as well :lol: to late now, it's used and not enough money left to replace it :-( , bikes just sitting now waiting for a date to get the eng. cert. done, I go out and start it every other day, it doesn't like sitting for to long, and fiddle with little bits and pieces, I really am getting antsy with the waiting.

Part of the reason for the rear was trying to keep the profiles/aspect ratio's similar, won't really know now til it gets ridden properly, could always run track day pressures and use my tryes warmers before going for a ride :wacko:

Cheers

Peter

bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Well she is all ready for registration now, after various inspections and reports.

And this time it won't try killing me by spitting off the countershaft sprocket when I road test it, now that certainly redefined the meaning of road test. :smoke:

Ah the wonderful world of Ducati, I had forgotten. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/p62 ... 0Sport.mp4

Oh and finally did this :shock:
Attachments
100_3471.JPG
100_3471.JPG (252.18 KiB) Viewed 6427 times
Last edited by bmw851 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Fantastic Peter.I can't wait to see it.

Cheers
Andrew
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Hopefully a big day today, if the weather holds, (been pooring rain here for days) it's now road legal and has rejoined the ranks of the living, so going to take her up the mountain for a spin, mind you have the trailer hooked up to the car ready for just in case......................
Attachments
100_3484.JPG
100_3484.JPG (349.31 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
100_3482.JPG
100_3482.JPG (218.48 KiB) Viewed 5956 times

Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Well..........how did it go :lol:
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Andrew2 wrote:Well..........how did it go :lol:
It actually goes like a new bike, very crisp, as you would hope and expect with a 5200km engine, the Cont's are totally unsociable, scare little children, stop hens laying eggs, and put the livestock off their feed, I like em.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Brakes could be better, have bleed them 3 times and still a bit soft.

Rides very well, went further up the Mountain to a mates place, and gave it to him to take for a proper run, as you know I've some issues that limit my riding and distance, and the ride position on this certainly does test that.

He came back with a big stupid grin on his face and wants to buy it, but is the same as me over 50 and out of work, so doesn't have the money, and likes his Aprilla RSV 1000 too much. :lol:

Only bitch would be the Carb's at partial opennings spits and pop's, worse when cold (no choke circuit) but still does the odd pop when hot, from what I've read is fairly common with these regardless of what type of carb.

All over really happy with it, just got the seat padding to fix up and that's it.

Now to hop over see your latest post :D