Timing belts

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1994

Re: Timing belts

Post by Derek »

LimitedEdition wrote:It's just one of those things where I'm scared to attempt it as it could mess everything up. Where as if the mechanic does it, he'll have to get me a replacement engine/bike :P

It will be something I need to learn but I'd rather get shown in person than follow the internet. Will ask around, sure theres a few ducati owners near me lol.

Cheers, Alex
Alex, I've noted your posts on Ducati Upnorth http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/ and presumably you are a member of the Scottish Ducati Club http://www.scottishducaticlub.org/ and if you're not you should be, it's free!
I have previously done seminars for members of the Scottish Ducati Club for both 4V and 2V engines. Demonstrating how to change belts and measure and adjust the valve clearances. The last ones were more than a year ago and they will only happen again if there is enough demand, but if 5 or 6 people request a demo I'd be happy to do one.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
LimitedEdition
model: 750 Sport
year: 1989

Re: Timing belts

Post by LimitedEdition »

I'd be up for that :D I've bitten the bullet and took out the £100 to pay someone to do it but its every 2 years so will need to learn anyway. I think I've proved people wrong already, as far as I know the belts have only been changed twice since the bike was built. And it hasn't been taxed since 2002. So thats 5 times they should have been changed and these 10 year old belts are still running (stupid I know.) But now I know when 2 years from whenever I get them changed, there isn't a mad rush in fear of them snapping.

I'd love to learn anything you have to offer Derek, if I could I'd get an apprenticeship in motorcycle mechanics but my local garage just isn't big enough. Although I do spend most of my time there anyway haha. :roll: I might watch the guy fitting my belts. He's probably the nicest mechanic I've dealt with, he'll talk while he works and does endless favours. He was the one that rescued the ducati the other night so I'm almost forever in his debt haha.

If you do go through with them I'd be up for it, hopefully others will.

Thanks for the very kinda offer!

And I am a member of scottish ducati club, sort of unofficially I guess as I missed the cut off date for everything haha.

Cheers, Alex