Info On 1990 750 Sport

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
rzinger

Info On 1990 750 Sport

Post by rzinger »

I purchased a 1990 Sport with about 10k miles on it in early 2010. I was away for work until just recently and have just started to sort it to get it on the road. I thought I would post what I've learned here in case it helps anyone down the road. Special thanks to user DucintheBay for some help with the fuel system.

I bought the bike from the original owner. He was a fighter jet mechanic down at Otis AFB and kept the bike immaculate. He spent time sorting it out when brand new and the attention to detail was impressive. He provided me with a log book of everything ever done to the bike. He took delivery of the bike in the crate and assembled it in his own garage with the dealer he purchased it from. Cosmetically it's a 9.5, easily.

He gave me the end panel of the crate the bike came in, with the VIN stenciled on the end - very cool!

The pipes are Staintunes. I have the original (unused) pipes as well.

Carbs are 36mm Dellorto PHFs with individual filters. Jetting is 60 idle, 60 choke, and 135 main - but I can't guarantee this is optimal. The bike runs and was ridden so I assume it's in the ballpark but I will want to sort it a bit.

The fuel lines between the tank and carbs were all shot so I replaced them all with motion pro hose and new metal quick disconnects.

I have new belts (square tooth, from Desmotimes) yet to install.

My fuel pump wasn't running so I triaged that with some help from DucintheBay. The fuel pickup sock was 50% eroded - gone - and the line between the pump and filter had a hole eaten through the side. Ethanol is not our friend. I couldn't revive the pump so I had to replace it. I replaced the tank innards with new lines as well as the following:

Fuel Pump Airtex E3735. Exact drop in, 2-4PSI, 30-40 GPH. ~$50 from Autozone.
Fuel Sock Airtex FS22. Exact drop in.
Fuel Filter Duralast FF3424DL. Direct cross reference from the FIAMM filter that came out of the tank.

The prior owner bypassed the ignition switch with a switch under the seat. From what I read the OEM ignition switches are a mess. It is located on a nice bracket on the RHS.

I have a ton of pictures but can't quite figure out how to upload them. I'll work on that (or PM me if you have any suggestions). Looks like they were too high resolution to upload.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: Info On 1990 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

I was wondering what might have been put in that tank to ruin some of those parts. Now you let on that the previous owner was into airplanes. I think he dipped into the tanks at work a time or two and put it into the Sport.

Good to have it back on the road.

Cheers,
Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.