Just got a 1990 Ducati 750 Sport, first post.

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
billd
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Just got a 1990 Ducati 750 Sport, first post.

Post by billd »

Hello all. Have just bought a 1990, 750 Sport. Very impressed with this site, lots of needed info! Have owned a number of Ducatis over the years, pressently own a 1995, 916 and now the 750 Sport. Enjoy working on them as much or more than riding them so suspect the sport is a perfect fit for me. Plan is to keep it stock, wheels, Weber and all! One mod may be exhaust. The 750 sport is a bit odd in that it is the black and silver version. Will post a picture in a day or two
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Just got a 1990 Ducati 750 Sport, first post.

Post by ducinthebay »

Welcome to the site. Lots of bits in the FAQ, as well as the posts. Use the search function for some specific topics that you are looking for. A great bike to play with. New enough to get parts and be fun to ride, but old enough to be rare and raw enough. Been tinkering with mine for 6 years now, and then bought a second one. How's your tires?

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
billd

Post by billd »

Hi Phil, front tire is OK rear is new. As I'm a Canadian and new to the UK unsure of the availability of 16" tires in the UK or Europe. New 16" rear is encouraging. Interested to hear from UK members on this. Really would like to keep it rolling on 16's if possible. Comments on this please are much appreciated.
LimitedEdition
year: 1989

Post by LimitedEdition »

Welcome nice to hear of another silver one :) I'm in the UK and the tyres are a little bit of a problem. I'm on Avon Azaro's, the mudgaurd had to be raised up about an inch and there's no room for a rear hugger I paid around £240 inc fitting for both they're pretty expensive unfortunately. However if there is no cracks in the old tyres I'd use them, only reason I changed mine (came with originals) was because I got a puncture in the front lol. According to the book I got with my bike only 95 were painted in black and silver and only 95 were painted in either white/red or silver/red I can't remember which.

Mines on about 17,000 miles now at least I think its around there, haven't looked in a while. Bit on the tatty side but its an old bird. I look forward to seeing your pics.

Cheers, Alex
Danielmc

Post by Danielmc »

Great to hear of another Sport owner in the UK! I've just fitted a pair of 36mm Dell'Ortos to mine though, so there'll be a Weber on ebay in a couple of weeks if you need a spare...
billd

Post by billd »

Daniel, have you run your 750 on the 36 carps yet? Would be interested in hearing your comments as to the conversion, reasons for doing, difficulty in doing, getting the 36's and filters etc. Will watch for your Webber on ebay.
Danielmc

Post by Danielmc »

Bill,

have yet to run the bike as I'm getting cables made up as we speak - no possibility of using any stock items as far as I can tell. A couple of the guys on here suggested going for the 36mm PHFs instead of the 40mm PHMs that are sold in the Malossi kit for converting both the Paso and the 750 Sport. I went for the Dell'Ortos because despite spending over £200 getting the Weber cleaned and reset to factory specification the bike still seemed to bog down just off idle, disliked constant small throttle openings (hunted...) and had a pretty ugly flat spot between 3500 and 4500 rpm or thereabouts. The other options were Mikunis (as fitted to later 750s) or exotic flatside Keihins. I chose the Dells because they looked good, promised better performance than the Mikunis (and don't need an airbox especially) and were around half the cost of the Keihins. They are also Italian, which felt appropriate! Everything I needed was supplied by Eurocarb Ltd - UK importers of Dell'orto.

Fitting was fun... I used the Malossi manifolds, but recycled the Weber's rubber mounts (had just replaced them) and they fitted perfectly (the PHM ones supplied would have been a couple of mm bigger...). Only problem so far was getting filters to fit, but after moving the coils forward have now managed to put a couple of small K&N type cone filters on both, and very good it looks too.

I think the originality question is a good one... My bike had already had the wheels, rear shock and front forks changed so I wasn't in a position of trying to keep it stock. If I had a completely original bike I might have worked on the Weber a while longer - plenty of guys on here reckon it can be made to work well. As it is I'm just waiting for the cables to get made, and the rain to stop!
billd

Post by billd »

All very interesting Daniel, please keep us to speed on your progress re your conversion. Thank you for your comments.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Danielmc wrote:Bill,
Fitting was fun... Only problem so far was getting filters to fit, but after moving the coils forward have now managed to put a couple of small K&N type cone filters on both, and very good it looks too.
!
Risking sounding like a broken record, but I strongly recommend putting on 2" (50mm) rubber elbows onto those carbs and put some nice big air cleaners up above the carbs. Improves the smooth flow of air to the carbs, gives you larger air cleaners (always good), performs better off of idle by containing the fuel fog, and feeds cooler air into the carbs. All good things. You need to use the thread on Dellorto trumpets (velocity stacks) to fill the gap between the threads on the carb and the rubber elbows.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Danielmc

Post by Danielmc »

ducinthebay wrote:Risking sounding like a broken record, but I strongly recommend putting on 2" (50mm) rubber elbows onto those carbs and put some nice big air cleaners up above the carbs. Improves the smooth flow of air to the carbs, gives you larger air cleaners (always good), performs better off of idle by containing the fuel fog, and feeds cooler air into the carbs. All good things. You need to use the thread on Dellorto trumpets (velocity stacks) to fill the gap between the threads on the carb and the rubber elbows.

Cheers, Phil
Hi Phil,

I was planning on doing exactly that (copying your setup) until I found that a previous owner had wired in a bank of extra relays and mounted them on the back of the battery box - hard up against the inlet side of the left-hand carb. Problem I had was that the only place I could move them to (given the fact I'm no whizz with electrics and the wiring was very neatly spliced into the existing loom) was above and behind the battery, in the space left under the tank...this at least made enough room (once I moved the coils) to fit a small filter. I will give some thought to getting the relays moved elsewhere by a competent auto electrician and then I would like to explore the possibility of longer inlet tracts. I'll get a couple of pics up once I find my camera.
LimitedEdition
year: 1989

Post by LimitedEdition »

Any news on this? would like to see some pics.

Cheers, Alex
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Post by bmw851 »

LimitedEdition wrote:Any news on this? would like to see some pics.

Cheers, Alex
And I like to see some as well.

Cheers

Peter
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars