Being nasty to my 750 Sport

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Being nasty to my 750 Sport

Post by bmw851 »

My dear old Sport is now my trackday bike and sometime road bike.

And it is a hoot on the track, barring 16" rims of course.

And finally the 39mm FCR Keihins with no choke circuit :mad: have come into their own.

Have been trawling the site and have had some interesting reading about tyre and rim sizes, am in the process of converting mine and using Monster 620 wheels which will run 120/60 Front & 160/60 rear and they are a 4.5" rear, it curently has the oversized Bridgestones 130/70 & 170/70 (which runs very, very close to the chain indeed can barely get the tyre warmer fitted) on the 16" rims, which are fine for road but useless on track.

They are plain and simple just too big and wont let the bike turn in properly at serious speeds, I use to run a '07 Honda 600RR as my trackday bike and could just shut the throttle off tip it in then wind it back on for Turn 1 at Eastern Creek here in Sydney, which on that one is fairly fast motoring, once made the mistake of looking at the speedo and nearly ran off the track in the time it took to look, :shock: with the current tyres on the Sport, actually have to drop a gear and brake doing at least 80 km/h less too even attempt the corner, 'pose you would call it oversteer, so will be interesting to feel the difference.

The point of that ramble is it is very easy to overtyre bikes thinking more is better, it is not really the case, long ago (1980's) I use to race a 125 GP bike with incredibly skinny wheels and tryes and it was amazing how far over that thing could be cranked over, as well as a BMW cough, cough, 650 with a very worked motor running a 120 rear, same story.

As original Fairings are unobtainimium if it gets chucked down the road, have had a old school bevel SS fairing made without the huge round headlight hole in it for it for track use and am still hunting for a solo seat to suit it, got a bit carried away with the fairing, will now have to get yet another for track use hence the attached photo's.

Andrew2 is to blame for the idea by posting photo's of an SS fairing sitting on his Sport when he got it, looked at the SS seats, frame is to wide to make it look right.

I love it, looks old school, but without the Bevel Drive heartache, yes I owned a "Drama"

Anyways enough long rambling from me, will post some more pic's when it is finished.
Attachments
IMG00623-20121224-1011a.jpg
IMG00623-20121224-1011a.jpg (142.99 KiB) Viewed 12667 times
IMG00619-20121224-0944a.jpg
IMG00619-20121224-0944a.jpg (128.87 KiB) Viewed 12667 times
Last edited by bmw851 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
Danielmc
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: Being nasty to my 750 Sport

Post by Danielmc »

There's a charity over here in the UK run by concerned animal lovers who club together to buy old knackered donkeys from the third world and allow them to spend their retirement years in comfortable surroundings, safe from the hardship, abuse and mistreatment that was their lot.

Should we not consider something similar for 750 Sports?

Seriously - looking great! BTW you can fit 4 pot Brembo calipers on your existing setup if you buy a pair of these:

Could be handy on the track...
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

I'm being super lazy, where? and do they make them to suit 08's as well?

Cheers

Peter

(just picked up the rims may have to take out a loan for tyres :shock: )

persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Nice bike, compliments :thumbup: !
My life with Pasos is changed when I fitted the 4 pistons Brembo's calipers. Great!!!
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

I quite agree with your wheel and tire choice. I too am moving from a 5.5" rear rim with a 170 tire, to a 4.5" rim and 160 tire. The 750 Sport race bike that was posted a few months back had a 4.5" rim in back. Since, I am sure, it had quite a bit more horsepower than mine, and was ridding with much more aggression than I do on a Sunday afternoon, I think I will not be for want of more tire.

Just to let you know that I once tried a 120/60 front tire, and it was horrible. It would stand up in the corners if you applied any brake and would put to the outside of the corner. A 120/70 is a much better size, allowing a much more forgiving nature. Both tires were Dunlop 208 of similar vintage.

The old Sport fairing looks proper on the Nuovo Sport.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Thanks for your comments guys, you lot are going to cost me a small fortune.

4 Spot Calipers indeed, your a bad, bad man, and I was just at the wreckers getting rims, and a Nissin master cylinder to replace the std. Brembo unit, gasp, shock, horror, to the same unit as on my 900 Hornet, it is on now with a set of Hel braided lines, so the 4 spot is seriously being considered, second hand of course, I am a Ducati owner after all which means as soon as I have any money it goes back into the bike then am poor again, very sad.

My guy here said he would make up adapter plates for the 08's and charge accordingly of course, as well as the reduction sleeve for the front axle, so will have to make a decision soonish me thinks, as want this over and done with in time for my next planned track day in March.

Phil, were you still running a 170 rear when you had the 120/60 fitted, cause I find that interesting, my 900 Honda has a 120/70 std. and I find that you have to force (not the right word) it into a corner initially for entry but once tipped in is fine, I run Michelin Power Pure's (ran them on 3 different track bikes over the last couple of years) on the Hornet and was intending to run the same for the Sport, really good trade off between track and road, and can still run at a wet track day (well I don't do a lot of miles so is for me).

And that is an Aerosol paint job on the fairing, so you don't want to get to close to it, I'm an custom electric guitar builder, so sort of know my way around using spray guns and the aerosols if in a hurry if that makes sense.

Cheers soon to be poor again

Peter

Danielmc

Post by Danielmc »

Peter,

Caliper brackets for 4 pot Brembos...

I bought that set from Loudbike Steve in Canada, but they can also be bought new from Gowanloch in Oz I think.

Better yet, technical drawings are available free of charge from this very site, and here's the link to the drawings to save you from having to look: https://www.box.com/shared/gj6cbxn48w

Those brackets will allow you to mount 40mm centre 4 pot Brembo calipers to your forks with the existing 280mm discs, or, if you turn the brackets upside down, 300mm ones.

However as you're changing your rims you may as well go to 320mm discs, and then it's actually easier to get brackets that allow you to fit the later type of 65mm mounting centre 4 pot calipers. Again, technical drawings available from here, and here's the link: https://www.box.com/shared/lzd6kxnkgk

I used that very drawing and got a set made. Here's mine:

That's an M1R front end, but the setup would work identically on your M1BB.
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Will be sticking with the 08's, after checking whats left in the budget for this conversion, simply can't afford to buy the 4 Spot calipers as well, maybe down the track, no pun intended, the conversion looks great on both of those bikes, and will be jealous for awhile.

ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Ahh, you'll be getting them sooner that you think. Big brakes are really nice. You will never go back.
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

ducinthebay wrote:Ahh, you'll be getting them sooner that you think. Big brakes are really nice. You will never go back.
I fully agree.
Do it when you can afford it! I hope soon.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
BMW R Nine t 2019
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

persempre907 wrote:
ducinthebay wrote:Ahh, you'll be getting them sooner that you think. Big brakes are really nice. You will never go back.
I fully agree.
Do it when you can afford it! I hope soon.
Ciao
Hmmm, they are 320 Rotors like Daniel's and had a look at the tech drawings, then rang the wreckers...............................

We'll see, did I mention you lot are a bad, bad influence.

Cheers

Peter

ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

bmw851 wrote:Thanks for your comments guys, you lot are going to cost me a small fortune.
Phil, were you still running a 170 rear when you had the 120/60 fitted, cause I find that interesting, my 900 Honda has a 120/70 std. and I find that you have to force (not the right word) it into a corner initially for entry but once tipped in is fine,
Peter
I was running a used set of Dunlop 208s, with a 180 in back. I have not tried the 120/60 with the 170, but I can tell you that the 170 turns in better than the 180. With the slow steering of the Sport, anything I can do to quicken the steering is a good thing.

I slide my forks up in the triples about 20mm. But when i did that, I found I needed to change my front fender. The fender would catch on the inside of the fairing on a particularly sharp corner with a big dip in it. It was taking chunks out of my fairing, and creating a dangerous situation. I mention this as I see you are still running the stock front fender.

And the last thing, we aren't costing you anything. We are saving you tons of money. We help you find the cheapest ways to upgrade a 20 year old bike so you can do track days. You are spending a fraction of the rest of the guys out there. And doing it in style.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

ducinthebay wrote:we aren't costing you anything. We are saving you tons of money. We help you find the cheapest ways to upgrade a 20 year old bike so you can do track days. You are spending a fraction of the rest of the guys out there. And doing it in style.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Above all, in style!!!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
BMW R Nine t 2019
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

And don't forget good taste has it's own rewards.

It is a dirty job, but you know the old saying :beer: :beer: :beer:

Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Looking nice mate.I might just come to the Creek when you do your track day for a look at the old girl.

Cheers
Andrew