Swingarm? WTB

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Swingarm? WTB

Post by ducinthebay »

GENTS,
I took off the rear wheel of my Sport project bike, and found the inside of the swingarm all buggered up from loose sprocket bolts. 2 of the bolts were sheered, one was just gone, and one of them was still floating around in there beating up the swing arm. The other 3 were all loose, and bent. The chain adjuster does not move. I'm not sure the swingarm is salvageable.

This bike has a modified SS swingarm from a 750 (steel swing arm), so this has happened before to this bike.

Three things,

1. Anyone got a spare Sport swingarm they would like to sell? Any condition. I can get it welded up no problem.

2. Anyone have a good method of retrofitting another swingarm onto the Sport? (Swingarm pivot pin sizes changed, as did the width of the cases. But the shock mount and other dimension are same as SS) Both of my bikes have SS swingarms on them, one steel, and the other aluminum. Both took considerable work to get them to work, and I'm not terribly happy with either solution so far, so if there is an easier/better solution, I'm interested.

3. If you are still running the 16" wheels:
- Run the bolts from inside the carrier with the nuts on the sprocket so that if they do come loose, they don't foul the swing arm.
- Check that your bolts are always tight. Something in this design lets them work free. These were all grade 8 bolts, with loctite, and nylock nuts.

Oh, and I can confirm, the Sport has a 17mm axle, while the Paso has a 20mm axle. This rear wheel has a shim tube inside the bearings to fit the smaller axle.

Cheers, Phil
Last edited by ducinthebay on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
ir_joep
year: 1989

Re: Swingarm? WTB

Post by ir_joep »

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear this.

Maybe this will help:

http://www.oldracingspareparts.com/twin ... f1-racing/

I do not know the price.

Good luck

Joep
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Joep,
Thanks,
Well, he certainly has some very cool parts, but there are no prices on anything. The only way, as best I can tell, to get a price is to send him an e-mail and ask him. I am afraid that this might be the case that "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it"

He has a very cool steel tube swing arm that would be pretty cool. I sent an e-mail.

Cheers,
Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Websearch result kinda infers that the F1 and TT1/TT2 swingarms seem to be the same mounting as the Sport. The key numbers. 28mm pivot axle/pin, and 155mm wide cases. Ill measure the SS parts for comparison.

Here is an interesting site that has some nice swingarms.
http://www.redfox-grinta.com/?page_id=263

Anyone ever try an F1 or TT1/TT2 swingarm?
How about this beauty?
http://www.twowheelclassics.co.uk/catal ... ngarm.html

Edit:
Another interesting string. Seems the F1 - TT1/TT2 boys are poaching the Sport swing arms to fit their bikes to run fatter rear tires, or just replace them. Mounts right up, but there are a few different shock attachment points it seems.
http://www.ducatittandf1.com/viewtopic. ... arm#p17696

Also seems that there were a few different 750 Sport swingarms over time with different axle types.

by the way, what is the bearing arrangement on Sport swing arm? I haven't pulled the pin yet, and the manual doesn't offer much insight.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
ir_joep
year: 1989

Post by ir_joep »

Phil,

What do you mean? I see seals and needle bearings in the engine block.

Do you need their sizes?

Kind regards

Joep
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Joep,
thanks, thats one data point. From 1991 on, all Ducatis had two needlebearing in each side with a seal. Some of the pictures I have seen posted of the Sport infer that there is no bearing, but a dimpled bushing. The Paso had something different again which i don't quite understand yet.

Edit/Update.
I pulled the pivot pin, and indeed there are bushings in the cases, not needle bearing. Fortunately, I have a brand new pivot pin, and the fit seems to be proper without free play, so I will leave the bushings in place, but replace the seals.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

Phil,
I was just reading in "Belt drive two valve twins" that ducati made 3 oversize pivots for the early 500 Pantahs because of bush wear.Not sure if that was still the case with later models.Maybe there's something in here to help.https://www.box.com/shared/nzfez3vs4q

Cheers
Andrew
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Thanks for the link. Makes for some great reading. Some of the things that we have found on the list so far, like gas tanks leaking from cracks, and swingarms cracking. No specific mention of the swingarm bearings, but does show that its simpler than the Paso.
I'll live with what I got for now. New seals and shims on order, and I have a plan to straighten out the mangled box section on the swingarm to get the adjusters to slide once again. Some fresh paint, and it should be good to go.

But I did notice from this writing that there was an updated swingarm and that it was covered by warranty. Has anyone gotten a new swingarm on warranty? Can anyone identify what the updated version was?

It also infers that this was a problem with the F1 series, and that group is poaching Sport swingarms because they are stronger, and fit larger tires. So my thought of finding and fitting an F1 swingarm has been put to rest.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

I'm guessing you mean the later model F1 swingarms like this one.

The only problem is there were'nt many F1's made so the swingarms off a wreck would be few and far between.
I would imagine this bloke was sick and tired of cracked swingarms by the looks of it.

Cheers
Andrew
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

The Belt Drive Twins Restoration Manual stated that many Sports had early swing arm cracking issues and were replaced by warranty. Seeing as to how I have two sports without stock swing arms, I can agree with that. But the manual also infers that there was a new, and improved version. I was wondering how you can tell what that was? Has anyone ever seen one? The pictures you post are all from F1 versions, which seem to also have the problem.

In other news, my local dealer admitted that the 1990 Ducati Sport basically does not exist in their parts system. I was trying to get some swingarm shims to get the freeplay set up correctly. So, onto second source, Google. Came up with this

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.c ... &top_cat=0

Shim washers are known as Arbor Shims, and come in a wide range of thicknesses. Since the pivot pin is 28mm, which is about 1.10", its pretty close to a 1 1/8" ID shim ( 1.125) so I ordered a set. I'll probably have some spares when I'm done, so if you are planning on taking off your swing arm in the near future, let me know, and I'll send what's left of the kit to you.

Next is to source some seals from the internet. Dealer couldn't find them either.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
Danielmc

Post by Danielmc »

Phil,

Stein Dinse http://www.stein-dinse.biz/ show a parts fiche for the Sport, and I've done a screen grab of what they say is still available shim-wise (I think...):

Last edited by Danielmc on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danielmc

Post by Danielmc »

ducinthebay wrote:The Belt Drive Twins Restoration Manual stated that many Sports had early swing arm cracking issues and were replaced by warranty. Seeing as to how I have two sports without stock swing arms, I can agree with that. But the manual also infers that there was a new, and improved version. I was wondering how you can tell what that was? Has anyone ever seen one?

Cheers, Phil
Phil,

I have no way of knowing whether my swingarm is a warranty replacement as mentioned in Falloon's book, or the enthusastic result of a concerned previous owner with aluminium welding skills. There is extra bracing between the lower and upper arms about half way up from the rear spindle (first pic), and heavy triangulation and welded plates either side of the shock mount.

ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Daniel,
Well I have seen the additional brace on the right side, but have not seen the bracing by the shock mount. If we can find another one that looks like yours, we can confirm.
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

check this out. I guess you can`t get better pictures :)
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/129-parts-a ... t-new.html